• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

singjai

Reaction score
Beautiful first edition you got there and as you can probably tell I’m a sucker for Otter Green. These are the perfect examples of the utilization of Rugged Twill, Tin Cloth and Bridle. Here’s my former 1st Edition Motto Tag Navy Journeyman. I still believe when it comes to Filson’s Tin Cloth, Navy & Black offer the best patina. They age like a pair of Raw Denim.

View attachment 2109423

I sold it to fund my first GORUCK GR2

View attachment 2109409

This might not be very popular among the group but I ended up purchasing a special edition GoRuck and ended up replacing my talon 257 as my daily commuting bag. It's called the Samurai made out of Japanese selvedge denim and came with a patch made from an armory in Kyoto.

The retail price when it was released was really not worth it in my opinion (although based on the effort and materials used, I do understand) but I was lucky enough to get a new one from somebody at a nice discount.
IMG_0801-compressed.jpeg
FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg
FullSizeRender(1)-compressed.jpeg

Sappy

Reaction score
This might not be very popular among the group but I ended up purchasing a special edition GoRuck and ended up replacing my talon 257 as my daily commuting bag. It's called the Samurai made out of Japanese selvedge denim and came with a patch made from an armory in Kyoto.

The retail price when it was released was really not worth it in my opinion (although based on the effort and materials used, I do understand) but I was lucky enough to get a new one from somebody at a nice discount. View attachment 2109701 View attachment 2109703 View attachment 2109705
Great bag! I’ve seen those go for a pretty penny. Hard to find that one. Awesome!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a sucker for a good GR bag myself. I have a GR 1 in 21L and and 26L. I really lucked out on my OG Journeyman. Found it on the Bay and grabbed it immediately. Paid a price for it but wasn’t too bad considering what the newer USA MADE are going for lately.

Awesome!! I do like the work GORUCK has done and the community that they have built. They aren't always perfect and I do question some of their product designs. For instance their Heritage line, as cool and unique as it is, features the same waxed duck canvas in the interior as it does on the exterior. Had they utilized something a bit drier and non-transferable (like Rugged Twill or Cordura even), I would probably use that in place of my 257...like @singjai did with his beautiful Samurai...well played sir!

Below are my two GORUCKS...the GR2 in Coyote Brown (Filson Tan as I call it) and my GR1 in Java

IMG_6498.JPG

The reason I would never part with my GR2 is the same reason why I would never part with my Java GR1. It's a memory of our rescue Dog Chance (in my avatar) who passed away; I was as close with Chance as I have ever been with any dog and most people even. He changed my life for the better in so many ways, that it will never be the same again, and I frankly I don't want it to. I bought the GR1 in a grab bag sale months after his passing and like a sign from God, this was color they picked. What makes it so astonishing is "Java" was the name of the founders Lab who passed away, and he decided to name a color after him. This is Java below.

IMG_6503.JPG

Last edited:

TheJonaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight regarding the Journeyman and Rugged Twill Backpack. I'll be on the lookout for a first edition if I can find one in mint or near mint condition. OG was my first choice but Navy could do just as fine.
What would be a decent price for one of those nowadays ?

Also, what are your best ways of finding vintage pieces in good condition ? Do you check ebay regularly with a general search "filson bag" of something similar ?

Sappy

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight regarding the Journeyman and Rugged Twill Backpack. I'll be on the lookout for a first edition if I can find one in mint or near mint condition. OG was my first choice but Navy could do just as fine.

Also, what are your best ways of finding vintage pieces in good condition ? Do you check ebay regularly with a general search "filson bag" of something similar ?
There was a navy twill backpack on eBay last week. I check eBay daily to see what’s listed. You can find some great older model vintage pieces. Always pay close attention to the bridle leather when looking at the older stuff. If you’re careful and patient you can find some real gems. Browsing eBay for vintage Filson bags is a great hobby. I must admit that it can get pricey. Now and then you can still find a deal though.

Sappy

Reaction score
Awesome!! I do like the work GORUCK has done and the community that they have built. They aren't always perfect and I do question some of their product designs. For instance their Heritage line, as cool and unique as it is, features the same waxed duck canvas in the interior as it does on the exterior. Had they utilized something a bit drier and non-transferable (like Rugged Twill or Cordura even), I would probably use that in place of my 257...like @singjai did with his beautiful Samurai...well played sir!

Below are my two GORUCKS...the GR2 in Coyote Brown (Filson Tan as I call it) and my GR1 in Java

View attachment 2110677

The reason I would never part with my GR2 is the same reason why I would never part with my Java GR1. It's a memory of our rescue Dog Chance (in my avatar) who passed away; I was as close with Chance as I have ever been with any dog and most people even. He changed my life for the better in so many ways, that it will never be the same again, and I frankly I don't want it to. I bought the GR1 in a grab bag sale months after his passing and like a sign from God, this was color they picked. What makes it so astonishing is "Java" was the name of the founders Lab who passed away, and he decided to name a color after him. This is Java below.

View attachment 2110675
I read through previous threads about your journey with your dog Chance. We’re so blessed to have companions that love us unconditionally. They can teach us so much without saying a word.

Sappy

Reaction score

The style number for the Filson Twill Backback is 70083. There are actually two listed on eBay right now. Both Navy.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.png
    IMG_1259.png
    592.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1260.png
    IMG_1260.png
    580.4 KB · Views: 101

TheJonaz

Reaction score
Thanks for looking. I saw the last one this morning when looking at ebay as well, this one seems to be a 2sd edition (no rivets) but I'm looking in the US or in Europe. I saved the search in the bookmark to check it regularly.
I live in Europe and I share a proxy service with a group of other folks to ship back packages from the USA to contain costs. With shipping and duties, it's actually much more expensive without a proxy from Japan.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Sappy makes some really great points. The thing you will need the most is patience and a lot of it. Trust me, I speak from experience. I have only abandoned that method once and within a few seconds (not an exaggeration) after caving and settling, the dream bag showed up as newly listed. Not only is this method crucial for finding "that bag" but also for a fair price. Nobody likes overpaying for things, and if you have great patience, then you never will overpay. Even when I'm not actively searching for my next Filson item I've made it a daily ritual to check eBay, and I still find it to be an amusing hobby 7 years later.

We kind of have a unique thing here like Filson spotting at the airport and subway, or in movies and pop culture, but eBay can also be a source of amusement. There is plenty of source material to recount, but I'm sure many of the older members here can recall the "Filson and Feeting" saga :lol: . Bonus points for the filthy floor.

Filson and Feet 1 .png

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read through previous threads about your journey with your dog Chance. We’re so blessed to have companions that love us unconditionally. They can teach us so much without saying a word.

That is so nice of you to say and I couldn't possibly have said it better.

Someone much wiser then me said when making the decision to have a dog in your life would it be worth the pain of having to one day say goodbye for the last time. His answer will always stay with me; he said "you could have lived a life without knowing that dog and having those experiences, and you have to ask yourself, would your life be any better if you never knew them and had to experience the grief of losing them one day....and the answer is NO!!"

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Filson finds in the wild. I was inspecting the main headquarters of a famous surfing company recently and the higher ups were having a creative design meeting. I was so mesmerized by the whole experience that I nearly missed the Navy 24HR Briefcase sitting right in front of me. I so wanted to call it out to who it belonged to, but they were really in the zone and I didn't want to be "that guy".

B78969E2-622D-4E7E-AE1C-3EBA34160581.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will admit that I have been critical of Bedrock Filson at least once or twice :fonz: but I have also commended them when they break the mold and create exemplary works. Some examples would be the Small Pullman, Large Twill Carry On, 24/48HR, and a number of garment items. It's not a projection that the reach and influence of this thread, especially in the past, has been known to Filson. We joke about it but this is the longest running Filson conversation on the internet. With things such as Bedrock Filson bringing back their version of the "Motto Tag" and their focus on recapturing some of the glory days of their past lines like The Forestry Cruiser; this very community deserves some acknowledgment. So I am calling out Bedrock Filson to finally give this thread the recognition it deserves.

What we have had the most influence on is the Secondary; a market that has been untapped by Filson until very recently. If you visit eBay enough, you will see this thread all over the listings. Things like Talon Era, where do you think that originated from.

Filson Recycle.jpg

This is not to be confused with the successful Filson Restoration Dept, this is Bedrock's response to the wildly successful preowned Filson market

Filson Secondary 3.PNG

It features a grading system but no actual pictures of what you will be buying, so you have no idea of what the actual condition of what you are getting till it arrives.

Filson Secondary 6.PNG

This was the landing page for their luggage items, 9 of them apparently, but due to some glitch, nothing was on display.

Filson Secondary 4.PNG

I wouldn't even say that the prices are very appealing, considering with secondary markets such as eBay, you can have a brand new example for less then $20 more

Filson Secondary 5.PNG

Again, I commend Filson for trying and I think we can expect good things from this beloved brand as it fights back from the brink and affirms its place in the market and in our hearts.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m one less Otter Green. Sold my YKK First Edition 258 to a very fortunate buyer out in Colorado. However I gained two new Filson Ultralight Vests (own 4 now). Honestly I think they are as good as it gets when it comes to Garments, and there’s not even a thread of any of the classic Filson materials.

Colors are Dark Tan/Pale Olive and Black/Olive Gray. Both are going to pair nicely with a Stetson Fedora I’m looking to acquire soon.

70D803B8-DA6F-4FBB-9E9D-A62F23A58D32.jpeg

Last edited:

singjai

Reaction score
I’m one less Otter Green. Sold my YKK First Edition 258 to a very fortunate buyer out in Colorado. However I gained two new Filson Ultralight Vests (own 4 now). Honestly I think they are as good as it gets when it comes to Garments, and there’s not even a thread of any of the classic Filson materials.

Colors are Dark Tan/Pale Olive and Black/Olive Gray. Both are going to pair nicely with a Stetson Fedora I’m looking to acquire soon.

View attachment 2120485
Is there a reason you got rid of the 258?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you got rid of the 258?

I loved that bag, especially going home for the weekend. I sold it because i didn’t need two briefcases. I originally bought the 258 to use as a Range Bag, but later decided I couldn’t bring myself to expose something so perfect to hot brass ejections and the foul smells of firing ranges.

Since I have a dedicated Filson tote for my cigar shop, I’m going to repurpose the Java GR1 for the range, since it’s been doing nothing but sitting in the corner of my study for the past year.

The money I got from the sale is going towards a OG Talon XL Duffel; a trunk bag for my new car. This one is probably going to be my most challenging find, even more then the Pullman. It would also be my very first Filson Duffel.

CE62CAF0-E524-4B64-85F9-5723CB39ED81.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads