• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Ashen

Reaction score
Who makes the best casual chambray shirt?
Right now I'm looking at the McCoys U.S.N, Freewheelers Neal and the workshirt by The Flat Head but finding it difficult to choose one.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm looking at the McCoys U.S.N, Freewheelers Neal and the workshirt by The Flat Head but finding it difficult to choose one.

I think it’ll come down to what details you prefer more than anything. Fabric and construction will both be good.

I had the Freewheelers Neal shirt for a bit, but kinda didn’t really care for the metal buttons on them. Of those two I’d take the mccoys only cause I like the chest pockets more and it’s closer to the USN style.

Ashen

Reaction score
I think it’ll come down to what details you prefer more than anything. Fabric and construction will both be good.

I had the Freewheelers Neal shirt for a bit, but kinda didn’t really care for the metal buttons on them. Of those two I’d take the mccoys only cause I like the chest pockets more and it’s closer to the USN style.

Thanks, I’ve been looking at the McCoy’s one for quite some time and I really like the chest pockets on it.
Can’t find any details about the Flat Head shirt online but had to look into it because they make great shirts as well and love the ones I’ve got.

Might skip the freewheelers since I’ve got another Neal shirt

jmiller123

Reaction score

IMG_6580 2.JPG

I posted this awhile back but this is the Mccoys Chambray size 16. Fits a TTS M(40). Really great piece and the one I'd recommend. It's very lightweight and works well tucked or untucked.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been humoring the European-Ivy side of my sartorial tastes lately, which means I’ve continued raiding Frans Boone.

Only a repro fit loosely defined, but you are my people so I’ll post here.

View attachment 1701785 View attachment 1701786 View attachment 1701787 View attachment 1701788 View attachment 1701789 View attachment 1701791

Glasses: JMM
Vest: Post O’Alls deadstock from ~2014
Shirt: Gitman x Frans Boone, made of deadstock Japanese fabric, supposedly
Belt: Farnese
Pants: Rota x Frans Boone “McQueen” cords, made of a medium-to-heavy bedford cord fabric
Socks: Merz B Schwanen
Shoes: Alden Barrie chukkas, debatably 1/2 size too small from some shop in LA that cleared out their Alden inventory last year
Love Bedford Cord, one of my favourite fabrics.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can highly recommend Shuttle Notes.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unrelated but how do you like that Wythe sawtooth? I believe we get the same size. I'm wondering if the sleeves are going to be long on me (prefer a 33-34")

I’m your general height but I’m heavier. Length wise it’s good for me, at about 34.5. Shrunk a bit in the wash-and-air-dry but nothing to make it unwearable. It just became slimmer.

I say take a M and shorten the sleeves after 5 washes or so.

Construction quality is ok but not RMC quality at all.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For chambray shirts, the best bang for the buck (and even outright) is the one from Buzz Rickson. Self Edge stocks them.

I like mine but the bottom 3 buttons keep getting unbuttoned by themselves for no reason :( and the length is a bit short for my preference of always-tucked-in.

1FDDB241-DEC5-482F-BFAE-6E31136C61AC.jpeg

I have few pics but this one will do. Sized up to 42 (17-17.5) and it would be great if it didn’t do the thing.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another Euro-J fit.

9F56D4C2-4207-4FCF-BE28-24FF0CBBA5E2.jpeg
B0E11566-9AC3-4124-80AB-01A515DFDFFB.jpeg
E42B151C-FDEB-4691-829D-7B67BD3F8B66.jpeg
4B0FCF44-7181-4751-822B-68F4EB2DFEC4.jpeg

Glasses: JMM
Vest: Post O’Alls deadstock from ~2014
Shirt: RRL
T: Hiroshi Suzuki ‘Cat’ T, courtesy of We Release Jazz
Belt: Farnese
Pants: Incotex Model 30 High Comfort cords (from FB), oversized and cropped
Socks: Merz B Schwanen
Shoes: Paraboot Chambord

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For chambray shirts, the best bang for the buck (and even outright) is the one from Buzz Rickson. Self Edge stocks them.

I have a soft spot for Engineered Garments’ chambray shirts, but those are not repro.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any good quality chambray. There's so much variation in historical models that almost anything goes. Just pick your price, fit and preferred details.

The EG Workaday and mainline chambrays both have a lot of historically correct details. I like the Workaday fit.

The only thing I would say is that a lot of Japanese chambrays are very short in the body.

Pulpo

Reaction score
For something a little different, I really enjoy this Studio D'Artisan chambray. The fabric is really nice and hearty, and I like the asymmetrical pockets and kind of "false popover" design with the hidden buttons. More French factory worker than US navy surplus vibes, I'd say.

StudioD_Artisan-5333A-Selvedge-Chambray-Shirt-FrontFlat-1_2000x.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene