• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Sony a7 on Saturday, I am digging it a lot, though I haven't used it on a hike or anything just yet. I should have some samples to share after the weekend. The Sigma 30 2.8 is probably my favorite lens on it so far, the image circle almost covers the full frame (it was made for APS-C). Anyone else picking up an a7 (or a7R)?

thatoneguy, that is an awesome shot!

Here is my favorite inversion to offer (it is a shot from the Lily Pond in Balboa Park in SD from a few years ago):

Lastly, roadtripping across the US at the end of the month, then driving up the coast to SF for New Years a few days after. Should be awesome (and I should have a lot of images to share), so far I have only resolved to snowshoe in Colorado (can't wait to see [and shoot] RMNP).

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting until next year when the sensor or a better one is offered in an A mount camera. I will def get the one without the low pass filter. I have a lot of full frame A mount glass so switching to the E mount is not an option.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm waiting until next year when the sensor or a better one is offered in an A mount camera. I will def get the one without the low pass filter. I have a lot of full frame A mount glass so switching to the E mount is not an option.

I have heard that the LA-EA4 A-mount to E-mount full-frame adapter is very fast (on-par with the lenses on native A-mount). That said, it is $350 or so on top of the cost of the body ($1700 for the a7, $2300 for the a7R).

Here are two black and white shots of my sister's puppy in the snow:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have heard that the LA-EA4 A-mount to E-mount full-frame adapter is very fast (on-par with the lenses on native A-mount). That said, it is $350 or so on top of the cost of the body ($1700 for the a7, $2300 for the a7R).

Here are two black and white shots of my sister's puppy in the snow:

Correct your WB and push it say +.3 or .7 on your snow exposure. Your snow is blue and dark.

I would be interested in A7R. I guess I need to take a couple of my lenses to the camera store. My main issue would be whether or not I loose an f stop or not. I spent the money on fast Zeiss glass for a reason. I guess I could call my Sony rep and get the low down.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Correct your WB and push it say +.3 or .7 on your snow exposure. Your snow is blue and dark.

I would be interested in A7R. I guess I need to take a couple of my lenses to the camera store. My main issue would be whether or not I loose an f stop or not. I spent the money on fast Zeiss glass for a reason. I guess I could call my Sony rep and get the low down.

Thanks, I corrected the WB, it was just an overcast day. I didn't want to push the image any further, as I liked the level of contrast there.

As for the adapter, the translucent mirror eats a 1/3 of a stop of light, just like in Sony's SLTs. Next year should see the introduction of a mirrorless FF A-mount body, though, if that is too much.

Are you sure that's not a color photo of a black and white dog in snow?

Haha, she has a pinkish muzzle in the color version of the first photo.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I corrected the WB, it was just an overcast day. I didn't want to push the image any further, as I liked the level of contrast there.

As for the adapter, the translucent mirror eats a 1/3 of a stop of light, just like in Sony's SLTs. Next year should see the introduction of a mirrorless FF A-mount body, though, if that is too much.
Haha, she has a pinkish muzzle in the color version of the first photo.

A third stop isn't much. I know they have a FF A mount in the works. If they release two variants like they did with the A7 I'm going the route with no low pass filter. If they don't do that then the A7R is the route I'll go. I bought an A77 earlier in the year so I don't have to jump on anything.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably going to grab a Sony NEX 5 with a kit lens in the next week - any prevailing opinion not to? (great price, like it when i tried it, good size)

Here are two recent shots I'm happy with:

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably going to grab a Sony NEX 5 with a kit lens in the next week - any prevailing opinion not to? (great price, like it when i tried it, good size)

I would say skip the first generation. If you can pony up the extra cash, go for the NEX-C3 or NEX-5N (or the later cameras), as the 14.1MP sensor in the first generation is nothing to write home about (I shot with an NEX-3 for a year and a half). Price in the US does not seem to be much different (the NEX-3N with the 16-50 power zoom kit lens, the newest in the 3 line, is currently USD $369.99 on Amazon). That being said, I think that a fast 50 is a wonderful lens to pair with an NEX and really helped me improve my photography (50 1.4s can be had from $50 or so shipped in the US, and then another $10 for the adapter).

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I am an unabashed fan of Sony's E-mount offerings, and have looked into every camera in the line at one point or another.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Fuji's 18 or 14mm lenses? I want to get either of those for my X-E1 but I'm not sure which.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads