1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***SW&D Photography Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Mar 31, 2013.

1. the shah

the shah Senior member

get an alpa12 :cool:

1 person likes this.
  2. TheChefs

TheChefs Well-Known Member

There are lots of options, most MF cameras have square crop. You can start with something cheap and terrible Holga, it will set you back $25 or so. But it can take some nice and moody photos. The whole lomography movement is based around them.

If you want something between lomo and decent camera, with a crappy lens and blurry photos, you can pick up lubitel 166 cheaply.

If you want something that will make good photos, you could go for a Yashica 124G. They are good, reliable and have nice optics. It's a TLR. It all depends on your budget. You can get Hasselblad for $800 with one lens and back.

You can also look at Pentacon Six.

If you want great zeiss glass, if you are lucky you can pick up rolleiflex 3.5 for great prices. So look around. Or the much cheaper rolleicord version.

If you want really great camera, for not much money, you can also look at 6x7 format (10 shots per roll instead of 12) You can take a look at Pentax 6x7. Great photos, amazing lenses, especially the standard 105mm f2.4. But it will weight 2 times as much as the Yashica. This camera is on my want to have list.

What is your budget and style of camera you want?

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I have one of these with mirror lockup and it's a great medium format camera. Heavy and bulky yes but that's what tripods are for. LOL!

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Anyone on here have a spare spotmeter they'd be willing to sell? I haven't had great results from my Bronica SQ, seems mostly b/c I suck at metering with a Sekonic 398 and/or using a DSLR to meter.

5. TheChefs

Do you shoot slide film? If you don't, you don't need a spotmeter. I shoot a bit of slide film, so I use it. 99% of the time the reading is the same as incident metering.

Don't ever use DSLR to meter for film, especially negative film. The meter underexpose on purpose to preserve highlights and you will get dark photos. You want the opposite with negative film.

All you need to do is learn how to use your 398. It's about reading light, knowing how to position the meter etc... once you do that you will get great results.

But yes, all 4 of my above photos were spot metered. But the readings came out the same as my friends Sekonic L-308s in reflective mode. I use L-758, which is essentially the same as L-558.

Also spot meters are much harder to use, you need to learn about zone system, which isn't easy and it requires you to visualise the final result.

6. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

From instagram (x100s):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. shoreman1782

Thanks for the response. I don't shoot slide, at least not yet. I've only shot four rolls on my MF, but so far everything's been underexposed (shot at diferent times, but developed at the same time). Going to try and compensate on the next few.

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Shore, I take it you're using a finder that doesn't meter? If memory serves me right there are finders with meters for that camera. You might want to look into that.

9. shoreman1782

From what I can discern, the meters w finder for the bronica don't have a great rep, although something would be better than nothing. I sorta figured that for $100-$150 or more, I'd rather get something solid I could use with multiple cameras, rather than a mediocre tool exclusive to this system.

Truthfully, I got the 398 to help me learn, but it's expensive to learn on 120 film :)

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Too expensive for sure. I'm wondering if your camera needs to be CLAed. The ASA shutter coupling might be the culprit. Don't you have a metered 35mm camera that you could go out with and compare your handheld to?

11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Somr recent pictures, always appreciate feedback as I have a lot to learn!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. TheChefs

How do you use the 398. If you exposure is wrong it must be really off. You can even practice with dslr. If your exposures are off you must be using it wrong way. They are simple devices and they are easy to use.

13. sikeee

sikeee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

No expert at all, just an opinion:
    Both images would be more interesting with a tighter crop. Especially the first one, where one needs to see the man walking by the river.

Also, it is generally better to avoid "splitting" the image in two halves when composing, or putting the subject in the exact center.

However, I have to add that these "rules" are no real rules at all, as there are many great images from master photographers who do just that (also many out of focus images by today's standards).

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

16. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

When I bought my softboxes they came with 6500K, and not until a day ago did I realize that higher temp ≠ more lumens. As long as you adjust for white balance, 2500K would just as well as 5000K, right?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  17. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yep.

18. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Why would you want to shoot with 6500K?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  19. TheChefs

I like this photo, but I think it would have worked better if you cropped the bottom of the image right under the foot of the girl. There's just too much unnecessary space there.

1 person likes this.