• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

themasao

Reaction score
Muscular legs are the undoing of SuitSupply trouser fit success. Most of the fits are quite similar in dimensions and favor a trimmer fit top to bottom. I have musuclar legs and the only fit I've found that works for me in a normal size (eg I don't have to size up 1 or 2 whole waist sizes) would be the Braddon. Only issue with them is that they only come double pleated so if you want flat fronts you are out of luck!

I have to disagree with you here. It's true that SS runs slim in general, but the La Spalla/Hartford (currently under the Lazio line) and Jort both fit me, and were in fact the only trousers that fit me without major adjustments of the many I have tried on in the last year.

@GrahamM - if you weigh 126 lbs at 5'8, I don't think you will have any trouble at all fitting into even the slimmer models. For reference, I am 5'10,165 lbs, with 24" thighs. If they fit me they will certainly fit you. Again, I don't think the La Spalla/Hartford are necessarily their slimmer suit models, so I'm not sure how exactly it would translate to trousers, but I wouldn't be concerned if I were you.

themasao

Reaction score
If anyone has SS Full canvas suit (jort or LaSpella) and Spier and Mackay Full canvas suit? How do you compare them for the fit and fabric?

I don't own a Full canvass Spier and Mackay, just half; however, I did try on a full canvas in store. They are both very nice, but I prefer the La Spalla - the fabric seemed noticeably nicer and I thought it draped really well. Lapel roll also caught my eye.

To put it another way, when I tried on the FC at Spier and Mackay after trying on a number of the Half canvass, I didn't notice *that* much of a difference. Maybe this is a testament to their half canvass offerings (which were quite nice) but it didn't blow me away the same way the SS La Spalla did.

nevaeh

Reaction score
If anyone has SS Full canvas suit (jort or LaSpella) and Spier and Mackay Full canvas suit? How do you compare them for the fit and fabric?

A comparison of fabrics is difficult, because SuitSupply offers so many different options for their full canvas lines. In general, Suit Supply fabrics are always of a high quality and sourced from great mills.

GrahamM

Reaction score
@GrahamM - if you weigh 126 lbs at 5'8, I don't think you will have any trouble at all fitting into even the slimmer models. For reference, I am 5'10,165 lbs, with 24" thighs. If they fit me they will certainly fit you. Again, I don't think the La Spalla/Hartford are necessarily their slimmer suit models, so I'm not sure how exactly it would translate to trousers, but I wouldn't be concerned if I were you.
[/QUOTE]

Many thanks! Cheers, Graham

zurich64

Reaction score

I have both Jort and La Spalla and the fabrics are very good. I like the shoulder designs of Jort and La Spalla Jackets, and in Spier and Mackay the Neapolitan cut jackets.
In Spier and Mackay, only two suites are full canvas (RTW), but all half-canvas jackets I have from them are well made, best were unlined ones. Fabric choice is wider if you go MTM, but I never had any issues with any cloth from them.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both Jort and La Spalla and the fabrics are very good. I like the shoulder designs of Jort and La Spalla Jackets, and in Spier and Mackay the Neapolitan cut jackets.
In Spier and Mackay, only two suites are full canvas (RTW), but all half-canvas jackets I have from them are well made, best were unlined ones. Fabric choice is wider if you go MTM, but I never had any issues with any cloth from them.

Curious, what is it about the shoulder design that you like?

KungLao

Reaction score
Curious, what is it about the shoulder design that you like?
I got 2 LaSpalla Full canvas from the canadian outlet. When arrive, I notice they are not pleated shoulder (shirt shoulder). Asking SS custom service, they say final sale you should see it's not pleated shoulder in the pictures. I don't agree the kind of answer but for the price I don't complain too mush lol

japejapejape

Reaction score
Muscular legs are the undoing of SuitSupply trouser fit success. Most of the fits are quite similar in dimensions and favor a trimmer fit top to bottom. I have musuclar legs and the only fit I've found that works for me in a normal size (eg I don't have to size up 1 or 2 whole waist sizes) would be the Braddon. Only issue with them is that they only come double pleated so if you want flat fronts you are out of luck!
I'm in the same boat. Braddon is the only trouser that fits me cause of this very same reason.

osw880

Reaction score
I recently received three wool trousers from Susu outlet and as you all mentioned Braddon fit is much roomier than Brentwood. I don't even have crazy big thighs but I find them a bit snug.

zurich64

Reaction score
I got 2 LaSpalla Full canvas from the canadian outlet. When arrive, I notice they are not pleated shoulder (shirt shoulder). Asking SS custom service, they say final sale you should see it's not pleated shoulder in the pictures. I don't agree the kind of answer but for the price I don't complain too mush lol
In my Jort jackets, shoulder pleats are quite prominent. La Spalla red line ones also have la Spalla shirt shoulder. Probably depends on clothes too, as heavier fabrics may have subtle pleats. I will try to post pictures of few different jackets.

rollerkilt

Reaction score

Is there any good information on the label? I'm wondering if the suit is really a Hartford style. If so, then it's just the website being inaccurate because however long ago they got rid of La Spalla name, and I can't remember if they dropped Hartford name, but then they apparently brought back La Spalla name and everything non-Jort but full canvas under that, except that now they just say full canvas Lazio? I didn't keep a history.

I mean, a combination of silly name decisions, website inaccuracy, and customer service just going along with it and not giving you an intelligent answer when you know that sleeve is in the name. Everybody could have just said what it really was and then you wouldn't be surprised.

zurich64

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_115742.jpg
    IMG_20210122_115742.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20210122_120044.jpg
    IMG_20210122_120044.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 133

KungLao

Reaction score
Is there any good information on the label? I'm wondering if the suit is really a Hartford style. If so, then it's just the website being inaccurate because however long ago they got rid of La Spalla name, and I can't remember if they dropped Hartford name, but then they apparently brought back La Spalla name and everything non-Jort but full canvas under that, except that now they just say full canvas Lazio? I didn't keep a history.

I mean, a combination of silly name decisions, website inaccuracy, and customer service just going along with it and not giving you an intelligent answer when you know that sleeve is in the name. Everybody could have just said what it really was and then you wouldn't be surprised.
Yes you right they say Lazio instead of Spalla for the product name but still using La Spalla in the description for P5725.
I think in the past, SS marketed La Spalla for the unique high end full canvas (jort also) with the pleated Shoulder. Mine the P5725 maybe it's a fabrication error. Currently, because they offer full canvas version for every line : havana, washington and Lazio so they just drop La Spalla name

p5725_1.jpg p5725_2.jpg p5725_3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads