• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gmehra

Reaction score
the 20% shown in column 2 only refers to shoes from Cuba or North Korea. if anyone is being overcharged and talking to either the courier or US customs I suggest quoting the exact code 6403.59.30.40 and saying it should be 5% - it also might be a good idea to ask the shippers to write this exact code when shipping products to you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 9.45.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 9.45.50 AM.png
    556.4 KB · Views: 177

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 20% shown in column 2 only refers to shoes from Cuba or North Korea. if anyone is being overcharged and talking to either the courier or US customs I suggest quoting the exact code 6403.59.30.40 and saying it should be 5% - it also might be a good idea to ask the shippers to write this exact code when shipping products to you
I definitely will, going forward. Weird, all of the sudden, I NEED shoes. You guys have just opened Pandora's Box for me.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely will, going forward. Weird, all of the sudden, I NEED shoes.

No one ever needs shoes after a certain point (when you have more than 3), but it's that proverbial rabbit's hole or as you mentioned Pandora's box! ?

Makes it worse when your paying a 20% fee on top of the Saint Crispin's price becomes a 5% fee. It is like... ooohhh those SC wingtips are on sale!!
Hoorayyyyy.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one ever needs shoes after a certain point (when you have more than 3), but it's that proverbial rabbit's hole or as you mentioned Pandora's box! ?

Makes it worse when your paying a 20% fee on top of the Saint Crispin's price becomes a 5% fee. It is like... ooohhh those SC wingtips are on sale!!
Hoorayyyyy.
Exactly! Hahahaha

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well crap. Most of my bespoke shoes come from Cuba and North Korea. Anyone know any good Italian or Japanese or Romanian cordwainers? I want to minimize my tax hit.

Chop Chop

Reaction score
Hello All - I'm looking forward to purchasing a pair of loafers over the coming year. A couple questions:

Is there a best time of year to source a pair as far as a holiday sale, seasonal sale, wait for a random discount offering?

Anyone ever seen a 539 penny loafer on the novello last? I like that turned down chiseled toe look that you'll see on 111's quite a bit.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All - I'm looking forward to purchasing a pair of loafers over the coming year. A couple questions:

Is there a best time of year to source a pair as far as a holiday sale, seasonal sale, wait for a random discount offering?

Anyone ever seen a 539 penny loafer on the novello last? I like that turned down chiseled toe look that you'll see on 111's quite a bit.

Unfortunately, Saint Crispin's does not do many sales. If they do, you may find them during Black Friday. They also discount like a last pair type of thing. Having said that, if you are not looking to configure your own, you can typically find sales through their retailers (Skoaktiebolaget, Cavor, Michael Jondral, etc etc). I would sign up for their alerts to receive those discounts.

I had not seen a 539 loafer on a novello last, but I am sure it should look good. I adore the 537B on the classic last (first picture), however on the Novello last it should work well (second picture). I am just a bit apprehensive about a really chiseled toe on what is traditionally a relaxed shoe. On a whole-cut loafer or tasseled loafer I feel it is a better combination considering the formality (or perceived aesthetic formality) of each individual style.

mto-537-B-1.jpg

Last edited:

Coldfire3k3

Reaction score
How important is it to send shoes back to the Saint Crispin’s for resoling? Does anyone use a good local cobbler to resole them instead?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How important is it to send shoes back to the Saint Crispin’s for resoling? Does anyone use a good local cobbler to resole them instead?
I have not had to resole as of yet @Coldfire3k3 . Having said that, pick the best cobbler in your area. Fortunately. their shoe soles are machine sewn. If you need a re-craft, good luck finding someone to do it who is credible...Add in what he said. :cool:

@DWFII "Bottom line, however, is that you, as the customer, really don't know how skilled or experienced a repairman is simply because all you see is the superficial end result. And you don't have any way of knowing what materials he used (compared to the original maker) or whether he really and truly understands how shoes should be made. Many, if not most, repairmen have never made a shoe.

So...logically, you're always taking a chance with a third party getting involved. Less so with the original maker."

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads