• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the money SM spent on the models could have went to diehard SM fans instead, showing the clothes in real environments.
I get why they went with models but for how SM built a following on the interweb it would have been nice to collaborate with the actual consumers. Maybe free outfits or some big coupons.

Bythenumbers

Reaction score
the money SM spent on the models could have went to diehard SM fans instead, showing the clothes in real environments.
I get why they went with models but for how SM built a following on the interweb it would have been nice to collaborate with the actual consumers. Maybe free outfits or some big coupons.
Beautiful photos. Elegant and sophisticated with warmth and comfort.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I'm feeling irrationally angry about product photos again. Here are the high rise olive chinos I bought and next to them the relaxed chino with the same fabric code. How can the same studio with the same lights and the same camera produce such wildly different colors? The relaxed photo's color is the real life color btw. This is not olive ffs... infuriating.
1713064227283.png

SteveMc

Reaction score
I'm feeling irrationally angry about product photos again. Here are the high rise olive chinos I bought and next to them the relaxed chino with the same fabric code. How can the same studio with the same lights and the same camera produce such wildly different colors? The relaxed photo's color is the real life color btw. This is not olive ffs... infuriating. View attachment 2166707

Could be different studios for all we know..
But absolutely agree with you. It's very difficult to understand the real color from the photos.
How can these be photos of the same shirt? completely different colors!
1713092382584.png
1713092424640.png

ElliotG

Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one that thought about this.
I don’t know about @dapperclassic, but I have my dress shirts washed and pressed at the dry cleaners (NOT dry cleaned though). You can specify starch levels (I go no starch and they still come back very smooth).

Hasn’t seemed to impact longevity of the fabric. YMMV

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn, how do you get your shirts so smooth? I can never get mine to stay this way. Maybe because I use a steamer instead of an iron.
Not sure what @dapperclassic does but I wash and press my shirts myself. It's something that I enjoy. Occasionally, I do send them to be laundered and pressed.

alvinblue

Reaction score
any remember that email spier sent at the end of 2023 about how they're going to be stepping up their communications and their new MTO program was imminent? lol

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, SM's CS team is still pending reply (hopefully come the morning), but they updated their Bryson linen offering descriptions.

So, do we believe their new listed 260g fabric weight, or are we thinking that's a booboo? It seems rather at odds with their "we showcase one of their signature fabrics in a heavier weight" description.

Thoughts? At 260g, they're a pass entirely.

stro

Reaction score
i was waiting for that weight to get added too. almost suspicious that the number came in at 260, which i think would be the fabric weight by square meter of a fabric whose weight by linear meter is in the ~ 360-370g range (assuming an approx 1.4 m wide fabric). i think i saw a wayward post from #MenswearGuy back before he was objectively famous that put the conversion rate around that number for some other mill that did this when i was trying to run down something similar that confused me, though i'm sure that's not a universal number even if i'm remembering correctly (big if). having said that, there is a comment on this page that hit on a google search i just ran for this issue suggesting something similar for spence bryson specifically: https://www.permanentstyle.com/2018/05/the-guide-to-linen.html

based on the above i'd probably be willing to bet that the posted 260g is correct, literally, but not the unit we're used to using for comparison's sake. it probably sits in the 360-370 range which is not wildly thicc but decidedly in a range i'd have interest in. would love to hear any insight any others would like to add on to my wild speculation though

JTrent82

Reaction score
I was browsing the Baird McNutt catalog the other day and was shocked to learn that their tailoring fabrics are 228 and 270 gsm respectively (it does indicate gSm). I'm familiar with both of these bunches and would consider both heavyweight, but the provided weights don't really correspond to how they wear apparently. Confusing matters even more, another affiliate vendor has linen tailoring from what I assume is Baird McNutt Glenariff. It's listed on Baird's site as 270 but on the vendor's fabric info as 400 gsm (which actually sounds right). All this to say that I don't understand what's going on with linen weight in general.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads