• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can they do a suit that’s not two sizes too small though? All I have ever seen from from is extremely tight and short. As if it’s 2003 or so.

The ‘house cut’ takes inspiration from the 60s mod scene and old Paul Smith lines. Most of his clients are from the mod/skin/entertainment scene. The ‘conservative cut’ has a more traditional (better, imo) length and style. But it’s mtm, so sizing is up to the client (just don’t ask for wide lapels or tweeds, lol!)

I got married in a TaT suit 15 years ago last February.

Last edited:

Eganacci

Reaction score
Picked this up off eBay for c. $140US and keen to know your thoughts on fit out the box. It’s the slim and I’d say it’s a little snug when buttoned but on the whole it feels good. My first S&M piece and hopefully not my last even though I’m based in Australia…

Trousers are probably too casual a fabric but I like the colour match.

img_4897-jpeg.2009667

View attachment 2009669 View attachment 2009671 View attachment 2009673
What a stunning jacket. To me, those lapels just elevate it to a whole new level. You made a great decision by picking that up, especially at that price.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
The ‘conservative cut’ has a more traditional (better, imo) length and style. But it’s mtm, so sizing is up to the client (just don’t ask for wide lapels or tweeds, lol!)

I actually lusted after this 10 years ago, when we all stumbled into #menswear and the primary inspo was the period-specific costumes from a certain TV show about emotionally bankrupt 1960's New Yorkers. I wore a 44 at the time, and he only goes up to 42 for some reason (I thought this was 'merica...) so I had to look elsewhere, which I guess saved me from buying a pseudo-costume. Unfortunately, SM didn't exist at the time and I didn't know better anyway, so I ended up handing my money over to Indochino....whoops. That suit came out way better than some people on this site will give them credit for, and I actually still wear it occasionally, but these days, SM is pretty much a no-brainer for someone in the "I need a happy-medium suit for $500" camp

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
To my 46R brethren, I'll be moving along some of my Spier (and non-Spier) stuff soon so feel free to reach out. Freeing up closet space to be a bit more minimalist.... and so the wife won't be able to say I've got so much stuff that doesn't get worn when I eventually find something to fill some of the stylistic gaps in my collection.

refinery

Reaction score
To my 46R brethren, I'll be moving along some of my Spier (and non-Spier) stuff soon so feel free to reach out. Freeing up closet space to be a bit more minimalist.... and so the wife won't be able to say I've got so much stuff that doesn't get worn when I eventually find something to fill some of the stylistic gaps in my collection.
If you have any trousers/shorts in 37/38 and shirts in 17.5/35 I'm very interested.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, have there been yet more changes to the standard trouser block? Photos below (this past S/S season v. upcoming F/W) for comparison.

S/S
SpierAndMackaySS23_J-11_VBC%20-%20Light%20Gray%20-%20High%20Twist%20-%20High%20Rise%20(2).jpg

F/W
8511--.jpg

From the angle, the F/W block (admittedly, it could just the angle) looks to have a distinctly higher/more scooped back rise. Which, if so, is awesome! But, also, kind of bullshit? Like...let us know about these changes in SOME capacity?

SteveMc

Reaction score
Also, have there been yet more changes to the standard trouser block? Photos below (this past S/S season v. upcoming F/W) for comparison.

S/S
SpierAndMackaySS23_J-11_VBC%20-%20Light%20Gray%20-%20High%20Twist%20-%20High%20Rise%20(2).jpg

F/W
8511--.jpg

From the angle, the F/W block (admittedly, it could just the angle) looks to have a distinctly higher/more scooped back rise. Which, if so, is awesome! But, also, kind of bullshit? Like...let us know about these changes in SOME capacity?

I think it's hard to judge from these photos. For example, the mole skin high-rise trousers don't seem to have this scooped back rise.

mlstein

Reaction score
I already have the navy teba but got the olive when it was on heavy sale, and am very pleased. It's darker than the website photos and much darker than these images, but I prefer that. I've been using one of the extra buttons so I can close these at the throat, which is a standard way of wearing a teba; I don't know why S&M put in the buttonhole but left off the button.
PXL_20230828_192444368.jpg
PXL_20230828_192427162.jpg
PXL_20230828_192511571.jpg
PXL_20230828_192532181.jpg

hysteria

Reaction score

S/S

F/W
8511--.jpg

That grey donegal fabric looks bomb!
I agree w/ u re. changes. They should tell us what they are, but I also don't know how you gather the fit may be different just based on flat photos.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That grey donegal fabric looks bomb!
I agree w/ u re. changes. They should tell us what they are, but I also don't know how you gather the fit may be different just based on flat photos.
I mean, if the trousers are indeed cut differently (entirely speculative, as mentioned), one would reasonably assumed the fit would be impacted.
Not in any way to say new trouser releases WILL fit differently (again, I'm 100% speculating), but wanted to pass along/share since, as we've seen, changes are often only found by customer sleuthing via IG and the like.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re longer Polo coats vs Ulster coats: the IG pic SM advertised as a longer Polo coat was indeed an Ulster coat. They shared the wrong pic. Just received confirmation.

However, they will offer longer Polo coats this season. The difference compared to the Ulster coat will be slightly different collar, pocket style and the Ulster will (still) be a roomier fit.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, if the trousers are indeed cut differently (entirely speculative, as mentioned), one would reasonably assumed the fit would be impacted.
Not in any way to say new trouser releases WILL fit differently (again, I'm 100% speculating), but wanted to pass along/share since, as we've seen, changes are often only found by customer sleuthing via IG and the like.
Rick just confirmed this to me as well. Slightly more room in the seat, thigh and knee. Not a lot but enough to feel the difference in his own words (whatever that means). Asked for clarity and he responded that it's a longer back rise.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick just confirmed this to me as well. Slightly more room in the seat, thigh and knee. Not a lot but enough to feel the difference in his own words (whatever that means). Asked for clarity and he responded that it's a longer back rise.
Would you ask him/the team to update the daggum sizing charts lol?!

Stylewords

Reaction score
Re longer Polo coats vs Ulster coats: the IG pic SM advertised as a longer Polo coat was indeed an Ulster coat. They shared the wrong pic. Just received confirmation.

However, they will offer longer Polo coats this season. The difference compared to the Ulster coat will be slightly different collar, pocket style and the Ulster will (still) be a roomier fit.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mafgd