• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This specific item runs notoriously large (the size chart doesn't mean a whole lot AFAIK). My chest measured about 46" around, and I wear a large without any snugness.

I posted a bad fit pic here:

EDIT: I was living in Boston at the time and this made for some peak-COVID goodness. Physically it was warm enough to ward off the cold in the drafty old New England house I was WFH-ing in, and, perhaps more importantly, a garment like that is in many ways armor for the soul during uncertain times (an "armoury against the world and all its horribleness," to quote Peter York). I then made the horrible decision to move back to Northern California, where the heaviest sweater anyone might need is a thin little merino vest, and I don't need it for spiritual reasons anymore either because this place is just a gigantic celebration of end-stage capitalism, and has crushed my soul.
Is that the wool or cotton one?

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Is that the wool or cotton one?

It's that flagship wool chunky cardigan....and I just noticed that's not the one you're wearing... Oops.😳 The size charts are the same so hopefully my advice remains valid (the wool one has an additional message about how it runs large...). I maintain that California is a soul-crushing yuppie wasteland.

boymyarmsrtired

Reaction score
Oh, boy. The newly updated return policy (Canada, at least). $6 free return for shirts, pants and other small items (sweaters was missing from this list so that's probably on here). I'm not down with that. Now, if S&M was consistent with sizing from one product to the other, and from one season to the next, no problem. I wouldn't have an issue because I would be confident knowing that the garment would fit.

But COME ON, RICK. I've largely stepped away from buying S&M simply BECAUSE there's such a huge variance in product sizing consistency. I've had sweaters that fit perfectly then the next year the same size wouldn't fit at all. Same goes for shirts. Same goes for pants.

Not happy with this at all. I understand returns are costly but until you get your sizing correct from the factory, that's a cost you have to put up with.
Couldn’t agree more. Currently returning a dress shirt, a sport shirt, and a pair of trousers that don’t fit like other items in exactly the same size and cut.

db123456

Reaction score
just wanted to share my personal experience for the contemporary fit high-rise off-white jeans.

Looks slick.

The leg line looks a lot better than the medium-wash contemporary pair I picked up last year. Those were actually significantly more tapered than my five pockets from Sid Mashburn. Mine look off with the kind of outfit you’ve pictured here, and I’ve just relegated them to a spare pair for running around with the kids on the weekend and the like.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I like these high rise moleskins a lot. I was skeptical but after wearing them for the day I'm in love. They're right up my alley. They don't hold a crease but I never expected them to. Thankfully they fit really well out of the box so I don't have to fiddle with the side tab adjusters. I did try out of curiosity and they are absolutely decorative- the fabric is too thick for the buckle. I had also anticipated this. I plan to put suspender buttons in, so it's no big deal for me. These trousers feel like butter though, yall. Don't sleep!

edit: I also received a needlecord button down from last FW21 on final sale, and the fabric seems a good deal lighter than the one I ordered from the current season's release.

Last edited:

lax101

Reaction score
Can anyone help boil down the new return policy, from the perspective of a U.S. customer?

I know the policy used to be that there was a $15 flat return shipping label fee. Pretty simple.

Now, I see there's no reference to a return label, and there are item-by-item restocking fees. I also see that on the FAQ page, there is an option to receive a return label to return a suit for a $25 label fee.

So I am a bit confused. Let's say I buy two shirts and one jacket, and I want to return all three items. Would this mean that I need to pay $30.85 in restocking fees ($7.95 + $7.95 + $14.95), plus I would need to pay for return shipping to Canada myself?

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Can anyone help boil down the new return policy, from the perspective of a U.S. customer?

I know the policy used to be that there was a $15 flat return shipping label fee. Pretty simple.

Now, I see there's no reference to a return label, and there are item-by-item restocking fees. I also see that on the FAQ page, there is an option to receive a return label to return a suit for a $25 label fee.

So I am a bit confused. Let's say I buy two shirts and one jacket, and I want to return all three items. Would this mean that I need to pay $30.85 in restocking fees ($7.95 + $7.95 + $14.95), plus I would need to pay for return shipping to Canada myself?

that's my understanding restocking fee + shipping label. It's under FAQ second item. I could be understanding it wrong though (hopefully LOL because that will be a lot)

lax101

Reaction score
that's my understanding restocking fee + shipping label. It's under FAQ second item. I could be understanding it wrong though (hopefully LOL because that will be a lot)
I really hope you're right, but I'm not reading it the same way you are. Here's what the second FAQ says (unless we're looking at a different FAQ):

If for any reason you are not satisfied with your SPIER & MACKAY product, all regular priced merchandise can be returned or exchanged within 30 days after delivery. For all bundle, sale, promotional priced merchandise or merchandise purchased with a coupon code, the item can be returned or exchanged within 14 days after delivery.

Simply send an email to returns@spierandmackay that includes your order#, the item in question, the reason for the return/exchange and if you are looking for a return or an exchange of the item. We will then issue you a Return Authorization Number (RA#) and a pre-paid return label (Canada Only and for first Suit Return/Exchanges for US Customers).

Print the pre-paid label and attach it to the return parcel and drop it to your local Canada Post office (or UPS depot for US First Suit Returns).
For US Customers wishing to return a suit(s) that is not a first order, we can pick up the parcel via UPS for $25 USD.

I read the bolded language to mean that they'll only pay for US return shipping if it's your first suit, and otherwise, they'll cover return shipping for $25 if you're returning a suit that isn't your first.

So going back to my hypothetical (a U.S. customer trying to return two shirts and a coat), it seems like the outcome is either (1) the $30.85 in restocking fees also includes a return shipping label, (2) a return shipping label will not be provided, and there is an additional $30.85 in restocking fees, (2) there is a $30.85 restocking fee, PLUS a $25 fee for a return label. Obviously, options 2 and 3 are pretty steep.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
I really hope you're right, but I'm not reading it the same way you are. Here's what the second FAQ says (unless we're looking at a different FAQ):

If for any reason you are not satisfied with your SPIER & MACKAY product, all regular priced merchandise can be returned or exchanged within 30 days after delivery. For all bundle, sale, promotional priced merchandise or merchandise purchased with a coupon code, the item can be returned or exchanged within 14 days after delivery.

Simply send an email to returns@spierandmackay that includes your order#, the item in question, the reason for the return/exchange and if you are looking for a return or an exchange of the item. We will then issue you a Return Authorization Number (RA#) and a pre-paid return label (Canada Only and for first Suit Return/Exchanges for US Customers).

Print the pre-paid label and attach it to the return parcel and drop it to your local Canada Post office (or UPS depot for US First Suit Returns).
For US Customers wishing to return a suit(s) that is not a first order, we can pick up the parcel via UPS for $25 USD.

I read the bolded language to mean that they'll only pay for US return shipping if it's your first suit, and otherwise, they'll cover return shipping for $25 if you're returning a suit that isn't your first.

So going back to my hypothetical (a U.S. customer trying to return two shirts and a coat), it seems like the outcome is either (1) the $30.85 in restocking fees also includes a return shipping label, (2) a return shipping label will not be provided, and there is an additional $30.85 in restocking fees, (2) there is a $30.85 restocking fee, PLUS a $25 fee for a return label. Obviously, options 2 and 3 are pretty steep.

yes that's what I am looking at, I guess my comment was not clear. my understanding is same as you. I read this as you have to pay a restocking fee + you have to pay 25$ to somehow arrange shipping (either through them or through UPS - it does no say) so to your hypothetical questions, my understanding it will be 55.85$ to return the whole thing.

tmckay2

Reaction score

Yeah I'm not sure how to read it either. The other things that's a bit of a bummer with returns is what if you get an item you've had before but it doesn't end up fitting right due to tolerance differences? Spier does sometimes have some inconsistency. So then it's not even your fault for ordering the wrong size, it's just the product was faulty. Still stuck with the return cost.

I get returns can massively affect your profit margin, which already isn't huge. But man, a small mom and pop with no stores for the massive amount of customers and a fairly costly and lengthy return process makes it real difficult to try something out.

I feel like you gotta buy products second hand to test sizes before going all in from spier.

lax101

Reaction score
yes that's what I am looking at, I guess my comment was not clear. my understanding is same as you. I read this as you have to pay a restocking fee + you have to pay 25$ to somehow arrange shipping (either through them or through UPS - it does no say) so to your hypothetical questions, my understanding it will be 55.85$ to return the whole thing.
Got it--my mistake. It looks like we agree (and we were maybe talking past it each other, despite coming to the same conclusion).

I would really like some clarity here. While I really do enjoy supporting Rick and the rest of the S&M team, and I am really appreciative of small businesses in the apparel world (I'm still mourning the recent death of my favorite casualwear company, Pistol Lake), these return fees could potentially be a huge deterrent from me wanting to make orders in the future.

I know, inflation is crazy, and big box companies (like Amazon) have made customers completely underestimate the tremendous cost of returns. But as others have mentioned, S&M's sizing consistency can be wild. Likewise, because they take so many risks in terms of releasing new products every year, they can often be hit or miss in terms of execution. I would have been OK with accepting a higher return label fee (as I've recently tried to send a package to Canada on my own--and YIKES it's expensive), but if it's a restocking fee too, then I don't know if I'd be willing to pay $50-100 in return and restocking fees in a typical 5-6 item order.

JTrent82

Reaction score

If @SpierTeam still reads this forum, some clarification would be helpful.

tmckay2

Reaction score
Got it--my mistake. It looks like we agree (and we were maybe talking past it each other, despite coming to the same conclusion).

I would really like some clarity here. While I really do enjoy supporting Rick and the rest of the S&M team, and I am really appreciative of small businesses in the apparel world (I'm still mourning the recent death of my favorite casualwear company, Pistol Lake), these return fees could potentially be a huge deterrent from me wanting to make orders in the future.

I know, inflation is crazy, and big box companies (like Amazon) have made customers completely underestimate the tremendous cost of returns. But as others have mentioned, S&M's sizing consistency can be wild. Likewise, because they take so many risks in terms of releasing new products every year, they can often be hit or miss in terms of execution. I would have been OK with accepting a higher return label fee (as I've recently tried to send a package to Canada on my own--and YIKES it's expensive), but if it's a restocking fee too, then I don't know if I'd be willing to pay $50-100 in return and restocking fees in a typical 5-6 item order.

You make good point regarding them releasing different products and how it's hard to want to take the jump to test them. I really wish they'd just crank out their standard classic stuff and have it in stock reliably.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Either Way, This Is Going To Be A Painful Lesson For S$M, Or It's Going To Make Us Better Online Shoppers, S$M Is Going To Loss In The End! :brick: $25+ &7.95 Restock Fee Return Label On A $68 Shirt That Doesn't Fit, This Doesn't Add Up!

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Either Way, This Is Going To Be A Painful Lesson For S$M, Or It's Going To Make Us Better Online Shoppers, S$M Is Going To Loss In The End! :brick:

While this may seem like a relatively mild statement to the layman, regulars in this thread will recognize, with a chill down our spines and a pit in our stomachs, that this is probably the closest we'll ever get to seeing Coach riled up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads