• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Blu T-Neck, With Burgundy Surroundings!
Burgundy Birdseye Jacket (S$M)<

View attachment 1883198

View attachment 1883199

View attachment 1883201

I'm Looking To Do Burgundy Footwork Only For A Week!
View attachment 1883202

They Don't Come Out The Box Like This, Dipped In Saphir...
View attachment 1883203

Nice!

I am a fan of Color 8 shell cordovan - so have quite a few burgundy shoes and boots in that material. The color pairs well with many suits and trousers!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: Spier is changing their return policy

I happened to look at the return policy today and noticed that effective Feb. 1st, their exchange/return policy is changing.

There will no longer be exchanges, you place an order for the replacement item and are issued either a refund or store credit from the initial purchase. They also make it explicit that if you contact them within the return window that it satifies the requirements for "returning within x time period".

The one that really got my attention is the following: There will be a $7.95 ($5.95 for Canadians) fee for USA customers returning shirts, trousers, accessories and small items. This means if you're exchaning something for a different size there is a fee associated with it (which may be how it is currently, my only experience with requesting an exchange was to be told the item was out of stock when they got around to answering my email).

What concerns me, and apologies for adding to the constant stream of criticism of customer service, is that since it takes forever to get a response from them you either run the risk of having something you're interested in purchasing sell out of stock or having to pay to ship it back because you needed to buy multiple sizes because they don't respond in a timely fashion, their sizing charts are not always correct, and their products vary in fit even for the same style.

On my last order it took me 11 days to get a response to a question I asked about the potential for shrinkage of the shirts I purchased (the first cotton dress shirts I have purchased, previous have been linen) putting me 1 day outside of the return window. If I had been asking about sizing prior to making a purchase during a sale I would have either had to eat the cost of returning the extra shirt, run the risk of them selling out and only order one size (and eat the cost of returning it for an "exchange" if the size wasn't correct), or miss out on the sale and have to pay full price.

I like Spier's offerings a lot, they're one of only two menswear companies I've purchased from in the last couple years that I was willing to pay full price for because I felt the value/quality proposition was good. I've been willing to put up with slow shipping speeds (sometimes as long as 4 weeks), response times that vary from a couple days to over a week, and ephemeral stock that often sells out in a blink of an eye for core products like shirts and trousers because I like their stuff.

However, it really bums me out to feel like I'm going to get nickle and dimed on top of all that other stuff moving forward, especially when I compare it to my experience with another small menswear company I found out about through Styleforum (with similar costs) who ships either the same or next day and responds to queries within the day.

Sorry for the long diatribe, I will share my thoughts directly with Spier since they're the ones who really need to hear it, but thought I'd give the heads up on the changes to come here as well.
I understand the exchange thing, a lot of companies do it this way as it’s much faster. However, they usually also reply faster with such emails. My guess is it will clear up some of the emails coming in for exchanges.

Doing it this way, they likely are now eating the 3-5% credit card/PayPal fee for refunding stuff, hence the new charges.

The other issue they now run into is when an item was bought on sale, and they want to exchange it, they now either have to be not customer savvy and not honour the price of purchase (unlikely), or create a one time use individual code for the customer wanting said exchange so they will be able to purchase at the price they paid during the sale.

But, not my free canadian

classicoutfits

Reaction score
PSA: Spier is changing their return policy

I happened to look at the return policy today and noticed that effective Feb. 1st, their exchange/return policy is changing.

There will no longer be exchanges, you place an order for the replacement item and are issued either a refund or store credit from the initial purchase. They also make it explicit that if you contact them within the return window that it satifies the requirements for "returning within x time period".

The one that really got my attention is the following: There will be a $7.95 ($5.95 for Canadians) fee for USA customers returning shirts, trousers, accessories and small items. This means if you're exchaning something for a different size there is a fee associated with it (which may be how it is currently, my only experience with requesting an exchange was to be told the item was out of stock when they got around to answering my email).

What concerns me, and apologies for adding to the constant stream of criticism of customer service, is that since it takes forever to get a response from them you either run the risk of having something you're interested in purchasing sell out of stock or having to pay to ship it back because you needed to buy multiple sizes because they don't respond in a timely fashion, their sizing charts are not always correct, and their products vary in fit even for the same style.

On my last order it took me 11 days to get a response to a question I asked about the potential for shrinkage of the shirts I purchased (the first cotton dress shirts I have purchased, previous have been linen) putting me 1 day outside of the return window. If I had been asking about sizing prior to making a purchase during a sale I would have either had to eat the cost of returning the extra shirt, run the risk of them selling out and only order one size (and eat the cost of returning it for an "exchange" if the size wasn't correct), or miss out on the sale and have to pay full price.

I like Spier's offerings a lot, they're one of only two menswear companies I've purchased from in the last couple years that I was willing to pay full price for because I felt the value/quality proposition was good. I've been willing to put up with slow shipping speeds (sometimes as long as 4 weeks), response times that vary from a couple days to over a week, and ephemeral stock that often sells out in a blink of an eye for core products like shirts and trousers because I like their stuff.

However, it really bums me out to feel like I'm going to get nickle and dimed on top of all that other stuff moving forward, especially when I compare it to my experience with another small menswear company I found out about through Styleforum (with similar costs) who ships either the same or next day and responds to queries within the day.

Sorry for the long diatribe, I will share my thoughts directly with Spier since they're the ones who really need to hear it, but thought I'd give the heads up on the changes to come here as well.

Adding a restocking fee is going to discourage many. curious what is the other company you are referring to?

blewnote1

Reaction score
You and I are not the same build - at my current weight I fit nicely into a 44L (contemporary) from S&M. But I just received the burgundy version of that merino turtleneck (which I think is really nice BTW).

I must say that I may be one of the few here who has found the S&M sizing charts to be pretty much dead on for every single item I have ever ordered from S&M. When I looked at the sizing charts for this turtleneck, I had my doubts. The chart for this particular product put me at XXL. I should be a bit more specific: I rely on the actual measurements - and I know mine. I don't rely on the summary sizing. In this case, S&M called their XL a "44"...BUT...they state that the XL has a 44.1" chest. So that is not really a 44...unless you wear your clothes literally skin tight. The chest size listed for the XXL was the right actual chest measurement for how I want a sweater. But I pretty much never take XXL across all the clothing I buy from all brands...usually either an L for trim fit or an XL for a roomier fit.

So I trusted the size chart and ordered XXL...and it fits perfectly - exactly how the measurements from S&M indicated it would fit. So at least based on my experience: (a) the measurements in the sizing chart for this particular sweater were spot on, and (b) I had to size up from my usual clothing sizing to get my fit.

Hope that helps!

Although going by the sizing chart I felt like I should order an XL, per this post I ended up ordering a size XL and XXL in burgundy in case the XL was too small (I'm a 44R). The XL was definitely the way to go, and in fact, I wish I had the L to try because the XL is pretty long and a little baggy in some areas.

I bought a L merino turtleneck in navy from Brooks Brothers at the same time, and while I like the way the one from them fits better this is also a nice sweater and I am happy to have it.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Credit where it's due- my last three orders have shipped within eight business days and my MTO from the Black Friday full canvas promotion arrived last week. It's a definite improvement.

Similar - Ordered a Black Friday MTM SC with free full canvas & milanese buttonhole. Was originally estimated for Feb, but received it early (at least a week ago) and all the details and fit match my specifications perfectly. The SC is beautiful, and I'm a bit amazed that I can get such a high-quality, custom piece at the price point that I did.

Not completely discounting some criticism, but IMO S&M still gets A LOT right and I see myself as a continued repeat customer. Some of the complaints do seem a bit small-potatoes (e.g., "it took too long to return a polo shirt," "now it costs 6 bucks to return ship an item from the US to Canada"). Of all the hassles I've undergone sourcing good clothes over the last 10 years (e.g., paying $65 to return shoes to the UK, taking chances on not-cheap final sale items that end up a total brick), nothing I've read here rises to any big concern for me.

Biggest problem for me has been OTR shirts shrinking or otherwise coming up small/tight. Kept trying and admittedly ended up wasting a bit too much money on S&M OTR shirts. I realized lack of rear pleats is likely one big reason for this. I think perhaps I cracked the code tho by going MTM with rear pleats and slightly larger measurements than I would with other shirt companies. We'll see after that order comes in. Big draw for me is the big italian buttondown collar along with a lower price than competition (tho I'd rather have shirts correct in a quality fabric than saving a few bucks).

Last edited:

blewnote1

Reaction score
Similar - Ordered a Black Friday MTM SC with free full canvas & milanese buttonhole. Was originally estimated for Feb, but received it early (at least a week ago) and all the details and fit match my specifications perfectly. The SC is beautiful, and I'm a bit amazed that I can get such a high-quality, custom piece at the price point that I did.

Not completely discounting some criticism, but IMO S&M still gets A LOT right and I see myself as a continued repeat customer. Some of the complaints do seem a bit small-potatoes (e.g., "it took too long to return a polo shirt," "now it costs 6 bucks to return ship an item from the US to Canada"). Of all the hassles I've undergone sourcing good clothes over the last 10 years (e.g., paying $65 to return shoes to the UK, taking chances on not-cheap final sale items that end up a total brick), nothing I've read here rises to any big concern for me.

Biggest problem for me has been OTR shirts shrinking or otherwise coming up small/tight. Kept trying and admittedly ended up wasting a bit too much money on S&M OTR shirts. I realized lack of rear pleats is likely one big reason for this. I think perhaps I cracked the code tho by going MTM with rear pleats and slightly larger measurements than I would with other shirt companies. We'll see after that order comes in. Big draw for me is the big italian buttondown collar along with a lower price than competition (tho I'd rather have shirts correct in a quality fabric than saving a few bucks).

I'm with you for the most part, like I said I really like the quality/price ratio, and generally their clothes fit me well. I also really like the detailed measurements they provide, especially when they're correct.

Perhaps I jumped the gun , because I will admit that when I read this yesterday I thought it would be in addition to the return shipping fee they supposedly were charging currently (which I just thought had been waived the few times I returned items). I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to charge a return shipping fee or whatever they want to call it.

I can only hope that the fees go towards improving the customer service experience, with more timely responses to questions of fit etc, because the fits are can be inconsistent across similar items.

Speaking of the Italian button down collar, I purchased the one in white and although I ended up keeping the one 0.5 larger than my normal neck size per their recommendation to account for potential shrinkage, it is a very nice shirt. It fits and feels like the MiUSA Brooks Brothers oxfords I thrifted and I'm looking forward to wearing it.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just wanted to share my personal experience for the contemporary fit high-rise off-white jeans.

it's closer to stark white than ecru, but that doesn't bother me (and makes them a little more versatile with lighter blue jackets).

the fabric is a great weight—should be wearable in the warmer months, but any lighter and it'd be too see-through. one of my big issues with Sid Mashburn's almost-perfect natural jeans is the fabric is just too heavy to wear June-September here.

My other issue with Sid jeans (which have been my go-to recommendation for jeans) is the taper is just too much. Size-for-size, the Spier contemporary hem opening is about around 5/8 inch wider. I'm measuring the hem width on my size 36's as a hair over 8 inches, which is within the 1/2-inch tolerance they cite on the size chart.

Anyway, the fit is perfect and I'm thrilled with them especially at this price—the other options are $175 or more. Just sharing my experience.
IMG_6519-3.jpg
IMG_6611-3.jpg

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Although going by the sizing chart I felt like I should order an XL, per this post I ended up ordering a size XL and XXL in burgundy in case the XL was too small (I'm a 44R). The XL was definitely the way to go, and in fact, I wish I had the L to try because the XL is pretty long and a little baggy in some areas.

I bought a L merino turtleneck in navy from Brooks Brothers at the same time, and while I like the way the one from them fits better this is also a nice sweater and I am happy to have it.

Hey! Sorry the XXL did not work for you. Since then, I have purchased 4 more sweaters from S&M in XXL and all fit me exactly how I wanted.

I guess my primary point was that the S&M size charts (not the tag size) for the sweaters worked perfectly for me...as advertised. Not so much that everyone necessarily needs to size up (though that is how it worked for me)!

Sounds like I have a longer torso than you (I take a 44L), which likely is part of why I got a better fit - but for you these run long.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Hey! Sorry the XXL did not work for you. Since then, I have purchased 4 more sweaters from S&M in XXL and all fit me exactly how I wanted.

I guess my primary point was that the S&M size charts (not the tag size) for the sweaters worked perfectly for me...as advertised. Not so much that everyone necessarily needs to size up (though that is how it worked for me)!

Sounds like I have a longer torso than you (I take a 44L), which likely is part of why I got a better fit - but for you these run long.

No worries, I wasn't complaining about your post... More adding another data point for people and pointing out how even going by the sizing chart can be iffy sometimes.

I have a 43" chest and a 38 inch waist. With these I might have been able to get away with the large as I feel like there's a 2-4 inches of extra fabric in the chest and maybe the waist wouldn't have been too tight. But I'm happy enough with the XL, even the length, as it will always be tucked in and under a sports coat or suit jacket.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It Is Really Nice To Read Some Positive Feedback For Once, Last Night I Had Decieded Not To Review This S$M Complaint Forum Any Longer!

I Now Have Hope For This Forum And Mankind...

Thanks

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It Is Really Nice To Read Some Positive Feedback For Once, Last Night I Had Decieded Not To Review This S$M Complaint Forum Any Longer!

I Now Have Hope For This Forum And Mankind...

Thanks
My personal complaint about this forum is how @1st Step doesn't post enough cream themed photos

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing but positive from me. Only thing that I ever sent back was because of size. My most recent dealing was having bought a sweater that went on flash sale two days later. Even though their policy is that flash sales aren't eligible for price matching, they still said yes. I emailed them on Friday night. They responded on Tuesday. The refund went through today.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
My personal complaint about this forum is how @1st Step doesn't post enough cream themed photos

My cream count is now +2 from the last time we mentioned this, inspired by Coach here. I'm including the "stone" VBC covert trousers which are BTW my new travel go-tos and probably a good candidate for desert island pants in general. They wear like iron, hold a crease, go with basically every jacket color for those packing light, can be worn with casual shirts, sweaters, hoodies, etc. and hide stains better than straight off-white.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
feeling positive today.
I ordered few final sale linen shirts with the last discount, shipped in 4 days. hopefully they fit and I don't have to post them for sale!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads