• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before we get into casting aspersions on taste, can we realise that people are talking about different tailoring, not different end results?

We all buy different sizes and cuts and have different bodies. When I say ‘baggy’ you are thinking of how your suits fit and you say they are not baggy. But maybe I have smaller arms and they fit looser than yours.

Look at @FlyingHorker picture above. That’s fine - I would not tailor them. But that is not how mine look, so I do tailor them.

It’s possible we’re all looking for a similar end result, but some sizes/cuts/body shapes take tailoring to get there and others do not.
Not trying to cast any aspersions, just noting that there seem to be two quite different schools of thought on how to judge fit of a tailored jacket. You write that "maybe I have smaller arms and they fit looser than yours." My point is that (in my opinion, of course YMMV) in a well-fitting jacket, one should not be able to see the outline of your upper arm in the fabric of the jacket sleeve. You could literally have a stick for an arm or a normal-sized arm and I wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the jacket, because there shouldn't be any deformation of the fabric by your arm (when your arm/sleeve are at rest). Now, you might prefer the silhouette of the jacket sleeve to be narrower because that's how you like it to look. But my point is that you should not base your decision on whether the jacket sleeve feels loose but rather on whether the silhouette of the jacket sleeve looks proportional to your body.

Note that your comment on FlyingHorker's jacket is not based on how his arm feels in the sleeve (because how could you know that) but rather whether it looks proportional.

Last edited:

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to cast any aspersions, just noting that there seem to be two quite different schools of thought on the silhouette of a tailored jacket. You write that "maybe I have smaller arms and they fit looser than yours." My point is that (in my opinion, of course YMMV) in a well-fitting jacket, one should not be able to see the outline of your upper arm in the fabric of the jacket sleeve. You could literally have a stick for an arm or a normal-sized arm and I wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the jacket, because there shouldn't be any deformation of the fabric by your arm (when your arm/sleeve are at rest). Now, you might prefer the silhouette of the jacket sleeve to be narrower because that's how you like it to look. But my point is that you should not base your decision on whether the jacket sleeve feels loose but rather on whether the silhouette of the jacket sleeve looks proportional to your body.

Note that your comment on FlyingHorker's jacket is not based on how his arm feels in the sleeve (because how could you know that) but rather whether it looks proportional.
Easy solution to this argument, just go to the tailor to remove the sleeves all together. Who needs them

nzahir

Reaction score
Save money: just go to the gym until you have bigger gunzZz. Lifehack!
I know you're joking, but I actually have pretty big arms and a big chest

Never seen a suit have that much extra fabric at the arms

If I can't find a better deal this week during any other sales, I guess I will keep and tailor

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like they are still slowly releasing other new various dress shirts. These slow drops are hurting me ?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like they are still slowly releasing other new various dress shirts. These slow drops are hurting me ?
It's our own fault. We've created an F5 culture that makes S&M think weekly drops is ok. I guess I'll be placing another order soon. :rolleyes:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s some pics of new items. Taupe knit polo and donegal polo coat.

I’m a 40R contemporary jacket and for sizing I went with a large on the knit polo. The sizing feels good and the collar is nice, It looks great with and without a jacket. I’d prefer if It was a little heavier but not a deal breaker.

for the polo coat I went with a 42 and the pics are both layered over a sportcoat. I’m certainly happy with the decision to size up.

075B79E7-CBE3-4C55-BC8C-11EFCA5D5B77.jpeg

A597829D-4F1D-4A1B-92A4-2C332FBEFC4B.jpeg

6E7527A3-15EF-44C2-A46A-AA84C595350D.jpeg

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SpierTeam Will the baby cord fabrics be available for MTM shirts? And can I specify western snaps rather than buttons in the comments?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before we get into casting aspersions on taste, can we realise that people are talking about different tailoring, not different end results?

We all buy different sizes and cuts and have different bodies. When I say ‘baggy’ you are thinking of how your suits fit and you say they are not baggy. But maybe I have smaller arms and they fit looser than yours.

Look at @FlyingHorker picture above. That’s fine - I would not tailor them. But that is not how mine look, so I do tailor them.

It’s possible we’re all looking for a similar end result, but some sizes/cuts/body shapes take tailoring to get there and others do not.
Oh I should elaborate man, with that jacket I couldn't even raise my arm in front of me due to my bicep being constricted by the tight sleeve.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just looking at the Green Corduroy shirt again, and saw this note. Looks like Black Friday promo is live, with some exclusions. From my calculations, it seems like it is 20% off items included. Code: BF2020

Attachments

• DF7B3ADB-5945-47FB-BFBA-EDC98D25F160.jpeg
    DF7B3ADB-5945-47FB-BFBA-EDC98D25F160.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 81

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just looking at the Green Corduroy shirt again, and saw this note. Looks like Black Friday promo is live, with some exclusions. From my calculations, it seems like it is 20% off items included. Code: BF2020
Finally! Thanks for the heads up. Just placed an order for the Emerald Green Neo SC and a navy Parka jacket.

Lets see if MTO is included now that I got the urgent stuff out of the way.

EDIT
Holy guacamole! MTO is included. This is going to be bad. This is going to be really really really bad.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally! Thanks for the heads up. Just placed an order for the Emerald Green Neo SC and a navy Parka jacket.

EDIT
Holy guacamole! MTO is included. This is going to be bad. This is going to be really really really bad.
Had my cart ready with the Green Cord shirt and it is excluded. Rats! Lol

Rassul-3D

Reaction score

EDIT
Its not working with MTO SC order

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got pics of the red and grey checked Angelico jacket?

hopsack74

Reaction score
Here’s some pics of new items. Taupe knit polo and donegal polo coat.

I’m a 40R contemporary jacket and for sizing I went with a large on the knit polo. The sizing feels good and the collar is nice, It looks great with and without a jacket. I’d prefer if It was a little heavier but not a deal breaker.

for the polo coat I went with a 42 and the pics are both layered over a sportcoat. I’m certainly happy with the decision to size up.

View attachment 1503785
View attachment 1503787
View attachment 1503788

How's the body length on the merino long sleeve polo? I have a few turtlenecks from a couple seasons ago and the body length was on the short side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads