• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

exfalso

Reaction score
+1. And anyone complaining the Neapolitan jackets are too tight in the waist (assuming you bought the correct size which fits your chest and shoulders) probably needs to lose some belly fat. Hate to say it, but I'm just being brutally honest.
Well let's not go that far -- everyone's physique is different.

I am rather curious, though, because I didn't notice much, if any, difference between Neapolitan and non-Neapolitan jackets. It could be because I take them in anyways, but I'd assume they shouldn't be off spec.

Last edited:

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean. It isn’t that weird to be surprised/a little annoyed that two different “42 contemporary” jackets have radically different measurements without any notice on the website.

S&M has many wonderful things going for it, I spend a good deal of money with them and am a big fan. They also could have done a lot better explaining the sizing on this model. Sure I can go to a tailor, but (shocking!) that costs a lot of money. I’d rather have the option to just buy a jacket that fits, and they didn’t do a very good job of communicating about what the measurements are. The sizing chart is the same for all 42 contemporary jackets. It’s lyin’ as to either the tux jacket or the Neapolitan suit jacket.

What? Who said radically different? The complaint was about a difference in waist suppression. Do both the tux and the Neapolitan fit you through chest and shoulders? If so, you ordered the right size in both and that is not a radical difference. If not, and you actually take different sizes in the two models, I stand corrected.

Taking your new jacket to the tailor is just the nature of buying something RTW or off the rack; if you don't have to then you're lucky. And companies have different models that fit differently (see, e.g., Eidos Ciro v. Tenero). If you don't want to do it... I don't know what to tell you; go MTM maybe.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean. It isn’t that weird to be surprised/a little annoyed that two different “42 contemporary” jackets have radically different measurements without any notice on the website.

I only have two S&M jackets, but they are both 42L contemporary and one is Neopolitan and the other is not. Both are unaltered in the waist. They appear to be pretty similar to me:

20180103Buttoned.jpg
20171229Buttoned.jpg

Based on my experience, I would be surprised to get a 42L that fit much different.

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
I’d rather have the option to just buy a jacket that fits, and they didn’t do a very good job of communicating about what the measurements are. The sizing chart is the same for all 42 contemporary jackets. It’s lyin’ as to either the tux jacket or the Neapolitan suit jacket.

You'd like to have a RTW jacket that fits without alteration? Yeah, and I'd like a bespoke suit that doesn't break my bank. If you're going to expect anything more than a reasonably well fitting jacket that is RTW, you're going to have a helluva time finding a product that meets those expectations.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they really "radically different"? That wasn't my experience at all, but then I end up taking the waist in regardless of which jacket I purchase from S&M. How off are they really?

+1. And anyone complaining the Neapolitan jackets are too tight in the waist (assuming you bought the correct size which fits your chest and shoulders) probably needs to lose some belly fat. Hate to say it, but I'm just being brutally honest.

Thanks for the tip bud.

What? Who said radically different? The complaint was about a difference in waist suppression. Do both the tux and the Neapolitan fit you through chest and shoulders? If so, you ordered the right size in both and that is not a radical difference. If not, and you actually take different sizes in the two models, I stand corrected.

Taking your new jacket to the tailor is just the nature of buying something RTW or off the rack; if you don't have to then you're lucky. And companies have different models that fit differently (see, e.g., Eidos Ciro v. Tenero). If you don't want to do it... I don't know what to tell you; go MTM maybe.

Look: the 42contemporary tux jacket i received and the 42contemporary Neapolitan jacket I received have significantly different measurements around the waist. Could be the tux jacket is the odd one out relative to the rest of their products, I don’t know. I have no reason to suggest the Neapolitan and non- *suit* jackets arent the same in the waist.

My frustration is that there was not any communication on the website that I should expect the two to be noticeably different. They both point to the same size chart on the website (that has identical waist measurements) and there isn’t anything in the descriptions that suggests different waist suppression. I’m well aware that alterations are part of buying otr, if my alterationist had a frequent flyer program I’d have lounge access by now. However it is annoying to budget a suit at $X inclusive of planned alterations and then learn that because of model variation that isn’t described anywhere, that figure is off by >10%. I would appreciate it if the website communicated model sizing differences so that customers could make accurate buying decisions.

That’s all I’m going to say on the subject to avoid cluttering the thread.

EDIT to add that this isn't going to significantly change my appreciation for the brand, or deter me from recommending it to friends as a better alternative in the SuitSupply/TM Lewin bracket. Just a point where they could improve communication.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And Conrad Wu tie.
Yeap. It's a great tie. I really feel bad because of the $USD/MXN being so high... now everything costs a lot more for us. And every time I enter to Conrad Wu site, I like 5 o 6 ties... $500 USD on ties... now that is quite a lot for us $10,000 pesos when they used to be $5,000 pesos. :butbut:

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have two S&M jackets, but they are both 42L contemporary and one is Neopolitan and the other is not. Both are unaltered in the waist. They appear to be pretty similar to me:

View attachment 910923 View attachment 910924

Based on my experience, I would be surprised to get a 42L that fit much different.
They literally appear to fit identical lol. Looks great! I have both outfits as well (new lovat for the moleskin) awaiting me in NJ.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no reason to suggest the Neapolitan and non- *suit* jackets arent the same in the waist.

To be clear, my post supports your point. I have two different cuts in the same size and they fit nearly identically. Like you, I would be shocked (and annoyed) if I bought the tux and the waist was a totally different measurement and the site didn’t give me the correct fit information.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand how so many people are ******** on this guy (he should lose belly fat?) because he bought two suits that are the same size and have different measurements. Only he knows what they measure, and everyone else can only speculate. Sure it's anecdotal, but it's his anecdote, and nothing anyone else says can change the fact.

Rick is probably just going to ask him to send photos of the measurements, and that's a lot better response than the white knighting going on here. He probably should have posted measurements too, but if I were him I wouldn't have been expecting this kinda response either.

Sheesh.

jamie411

Reaction score
I don't really understand how so many people are ******** on this guy (he should lose belly fat?) because he bought two suits that are the same size and have different measurements. Only he knows what they measure, and everyone else can only speculate. Sure it's anecdotal, but it's his anecdote, and nothing anyone else says can change the fact.

Rick is probably just going to ask him to send photos of the measurements, and that's a lot better response than the white knighting going on here. He probably should have posted measurements too, but if I were him I wouldn't have been expecting this kinda response either.

Sheesh.

Hear! Hear! Let's drop this discussion and move on to other things people care about - like apparently denim shirts, wrinkle-free shirts, and expanding shirt cuffs (I kid, I kid - friggin' let it go!).

There was a suggestion earlier for a picture of the incoming brown fresco preorder - I'd really like to see that! - as well as other items S&M has in the pipeline for SS18. I'm hoping for some interesting cotton and lightweight wool dress trousers.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could probably stand to lose a little bit, but it's not like I'm a big guy... my jackets from Eidos in a smaller size are more forgiving. Apples to oranges, maybe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads