• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could anyone compare the sizing difference between a same size in the slim versus the contemporary fits for a jacket? I have two 38 slim jackets and have been wondering if I should try a 38 contemporary since the chest/waist of the slim is a little snug (or if I should just let the slim out a little). I'm considering grabbing a tweed jacket or two.

tnjed

Reaction score
I second this, though I tried on a coworker's 38R sport coat and it was surprisingly more roomy than I thought it would be. Much better than the SuSu Havanna...

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the khakis on sale. Does anyone have any fit experience with them? What's the difference between the slim and contemporary for trousers?

Also, the site doesn't list inseams. I'm generally a 36/30 and I like a slim tapered leg, similar to a Levi's 511. Which would be my best bet?

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're unfinished. Get the slim fit, it's most consistent w that cut. Measure the waist of your pants and compare to the chart to find the waist closest to your best fitting pants.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered Lt Gray and Brown tweed. Probably don't need both but given bundle price and USD to CAS conversion it was hard to pass-up. Still trying to figure out what trousers I want to get. Wondering if I could wear the brown ones as a suit.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Could anyone compare the sizing difference between a same size in the slim versus the contemporary fits for a jacket? I have two 38 slim jackets and have been wondering if I should try a 38 contemporary since the chest/waist of the slim is a little snug (or if I should just let the slim out a little). I'm considering grabbing a tweed jacket or two.
@Mr Clemson
Here is my personal experience with 38 slim vs 38 contemporary. When trying on the 38 slim, the fit looked great and I did feel slightly snug in the shoulder and chest but not restrictive. I didn't notice any pulling. However, Rick pointed out (he was there when I tried them on) the lapel popped up once I buttoned the first button. When wearing the 38 contemporary, the lapel laid flat. Shoulder and chest are more comfortable as expected but I found the armholes and sleeves are slightly more roomy than I like. The coat I tried on weren't the tweed though. The tweed are thicker so I think the fit might be slightly different? Hoping to try them on when they hit the Toronto store. :)

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're unfinished. Get the slim fit, it's most consistent w that cut. Measure the waist of your pants and compare to the chart to find the waist closest to your best fitting pants.
Thanks for the advice!

One last question, when measuring the waist of a garment is the measurement taken on the inside or outside?

novaeagle

Reaction score

I am also interested in this, if anyone could provide feedback!

mrpaul

Reaction score
That's unfortunate since 36 contemporary fits me pretty well. A slim might be too snug.

Perhaps do 2 or 1 unit of this size?

36 Contemporary has been discontinued as is 36 Contemporary Short and 34 Slim.

Reason, is these sizes were pretty much the slowest selling and we found most people opted for 36 slim or 38 Slim in place.

They are a bit lighter and they are unstuctured/soft structured compared to the canvas product of the tweed. If you want that traditional English look, you can't beat the tweed. The slubs are a totally different animal.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

If you've been happy with the 38 Slim, I suggest to stick with that and have the waist opened up slightly. The proportions of the contemporary is a different cut altogether. Everything is bigger. Armholes, sleeves, cross front and back included.

I second this, though I tried on a coworker's 38R sport coat and it was surprisingly more roomy than I thought it would be. Much better than the SuSu Havanna...

It's not that we're more roomy than SS. It's that because we have much, much smaller production runs, our consistency and accuracy to the listed measurements is better. We've had customers bring in SS suits/jackets for alteration and found that the specs were off by more than an inch towards the smaller side of things.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's unfortunate since 36 contemporary fits me pretty well. A slim might be too snug.

We would, but the factory has minimum/size requirements for them to run production. Otherwise they basically treat it as an MTM and the price would reflect that. We'll see how this season goes, we expect to see some good growth this season, so if the demands picks up, they will get added again.

But we were just sitting on too many smaller sizes and consistently running out of the average sizes.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mr Clemson
Here is my personal experience with 38 slim vs 38 contemporary. When trying on the 38 slim, the fit looked great and I did feel slightly snug in the shoulder and chest but not restrictive. I didn't notice any pulling. However, Rick pointed out (he was there when I tried them on) the lapel popped up once I buttoned the first button. When wearing the 38 contemporary, the lapel laid flat. Shoulder and chest are more comfortable as expected but I found the armholes and sleeves are slightly more roomy than I like. The coat I tried on weren't the tweed though. The tweed are thicker so I think the fit might be slightly different? Hoping to try them on when they hit the Toronto store. :)

Thanks, this is helpful and what I was thinking. I may stick with the 38 slim and just let it out some if needed as Rick suggests below, because I don't want the shoulders especially and other areas being much or any roomier.

I am also interested in this, if anyone could provide feedback!

OT, but did you come to Clemson for the game on Saturday? Was another close and good game. Good luck with the rest of the season!

If you've been happy with the 38 Slim, I suggest to stick with that and have the waist opened up slightly. The proportions of the contemporary is a different cut altogether. Everything is bigger. Armholes, sleeves, cross front and back included.

Okay, I will stick with the 38 slim unless the tweed for some reason feels too snug. I may send you some fit pics when I receive it.

Hockey1234

Reaction score

We would, but the factory has minimum/size requirements for them to run production. Otherwise they basically treat it as an MTM and the price would reflect that. We'll see how this season goes, we expect to see some good growth this season, so if the demands picks up, they will get added again.

But we were just sitting on too many smaller sizes and consistently running out of the average sizes.

+1 to eventually, but hopefully soon, bring back the 36 contemporary! They fit me perfectly

novaeagle

Reaction score
Okay, I will stick with the 38 slim unless the tweed for some reason feels too snug. I may send you some fit pics when I receive it.

I think I'll stick with the 38 slim myself as well. I'm typically a 38 but I have narrow shoulders, and based on what I just read it seems more my speed. Chest circumference is a concern as I measure in at 39" but shoulders are always more important, unless anyone wants to advise differently.

OT, but did you come to Clemson for the game on Saturday? Was another close and good game. Good luck with the rest of the season!

I did not, although I had several friends who did.

It was a good game for Auburn 2.0, Auburn unfortunately looked absolutely abysmal on offense. Stidham held on to the ball too long every play, causing all the sacks, and the play calling was atrocious - all out-routes or deep passes, no slant routes or intermediate routes seemingly in the entire playbook. And every run was just poor Pettway up the middle, and the guy is injured. Just bad all around. Game wasn't nearly as close as the scoreboard indicated. If Malzahn doesn't update his playbook he's probably going to get fired.

Apologies to everyone else for the ramble!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads