• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I just took delivery for one of these polos and I don't want to hyperbolize but I was revulsed by the texture of the fabric. I was expecting the soft almost merino quality of the polo sweaters from last year but these are not those. If it didn't have a fabric tag I would have guessed it was all poly. Same goes for the two-ply tees that came with it. I'll be returning them both.

edit: Also got a pair of olive chinos that aren't olive. Closer to sage. In this instance at least, the color is lighter than the product photos suggest.
I'm wearing one of the new long sleeve sweater polos today, and I agree that the fabric does not feel as soft as last year's version. Not quite revolting, but definitely more coarse. I'm keeping because this year's version feels a bit roomier in the torso than last year's (though I haven't washed yet), which is exactly what I was hoping for.

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score
Anyone else somewhat underwhelmed by the new sportcoats that have dropped (thus far)? Not sure if it's the new AI pics or what but they all seem pretty generically "spring", no bold colors or patterns at all.
It's all been underwhelming so far. Might be the horrid styling.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Anyone else somewhat underwhelmed by the new sportcoats that have dropped (thus far)? Not sure if it's the new AI pics or what but they all seem pretty generically "spring", no bold colors or patterns at all.

Hopefully they will drop some patterns, still a bit early I think

JTrent82

Reaction score
Also seems like the ratio of "Neo cut" sportcoats to "normal" sportcoats is significantly less than previous seasons. Felt like 90%+ of fw2023 sport coats were neo, so far seems to be <50% neo cuts.
I'm strongly in favor of this and I hope it continues into FW. I can make Neo work in the summer but tweeds just never look right to me in Neapolitan cuts.

abantigen

Reaction score
I'm strongly in favor of this and I hope it continues into FW. I can make Neo work in the summer but tweeds just never look right to me in Neapolitan cuts.

Agreed, tweed looks so wrong in Neo cuts.

I've fallen out of love with Neo cuts in general over the years. Wearing a sport coat is such a big style statement already and I find the larger lapels with negative belly is too bold for the dressed down looks I'm going for.

Sam L

Reaction score
I disagree, but different strokes. I think the silk SCs are gorgeous, but the sizing and half canvassing is staying my hand for now.
This is a genuine question because I’m no expert in fabrics, but would you mind sharing what’s so appealing about the silk SCs? They look nice, but they also just look like regular solid SCs to me.

ElliotG

Reaction score
This is a genuine question because I’m no expert in fabrics, but would you mind sharing what’s so appealing about the silk SCs? They look nice, but they also just look like regular solid SCs to me.
1711464696241.png

To me, sport coats are about interesting patterns and textures that wouldn’t work as well for a suit. Check out the “napping” (I think that’s what it’s called) in this fabric. It gives the coat visual interest without being loud.

SuaveStyle

Reaction score

I find them to be softer and lighter, and in my experience they drape better compared to only wool and/or linen. They do have a slight sheen to them, which I find attractive for a S/S piece, and it gives them an extra touch of flare.

I have read elsewhere that silk in the cloth leaves the material a little less robust and might not have the same longevity depending on how often/hard you wear it*

tripreed

Reaction score
I came here to read what everyone was saying about the models and the styling and am glad that I'm not the only one.

Another weird thing is that the full range of sizes is not available for some suits (and maybe some sport coats). I'm a 42S and one of the reasons I was drawn to SM was because my size was usually available. I've been hoping for another seersucker suit drop this season and saw the double-breasted one but, strangely, it's not available in my size, as well as a number of the other typical sizes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads