• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with both the 2-ply 80s premium oxfords and the standard 40s compact oxfords from SM MTO? How remarkable is the difference in hand, quality, durability, etc.? Trying to make an informed decision but information is lacking.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve just received my Angelico Green Peacoat back from my alterations tailor. I’ve not seen images shared of this jacket so I figured this may be helpful for others.

I would typically wear an unaltered 34S Slim in my S&M suiting, and this peacoat is a 34. I’ve had to shorten the jacket by 1.5 inches and taken in at the sides ever so slightly. I’ve got a thin layer on underneath in the images, but it feels roomy enough to fit a suit jacket under the peacoat.

I’d very much welcome any constructive feedback.

View attachment 1817468 View attachment 1817469 View attachment 1817470 View attachment 1817471 View attachment 1817472

IMHO, Start over! I would love to see (photos) before you chopped it up....

Jlee80

Reaction score
Anyone else noticed a dip in QC with S&M lately. My MTO suits from early February are breaking down pretty fast, and I just ordered a pair of the Blake stitched shoes… And the buckle broke while trying them on.. hopefully not a new sign of the times…

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else noticed a dip in QC with S&M lately. My MTO suits from early February are breaking down pretty fast, and I just ordered a pair of the Blake stitched shoes… And the buckle broke while trying them on.. hopefully not a new sign of the times…
Breaking down how?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canvassing bunching up, bubbling on the collar, not holding shape.
Wonder if going full canvas would fix this or just a bad batch of suits?
are you steaming them with a steamer? i dont think suits just bubble up unless its been worked on (dry cleaned, steamed overly, etc.)
could be bad quality canvas, could be the heat working against the adhesives, etc.

Jlee80

Reaction score
are you steaming them with a steamer? i dont think suits just bubble up unless its been worked on (dry cleaned, steamed overly, etc.)
could be bad quality canvas, could be the heat working against the adhesives, etc.
None of that...no dry cleaning...suit brush after each wear. Sizing is on point, they just dont look or wear as nice as even my RTW Stuff from 2021. Not sure if it was just a bad run or what not...

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Sage, DB - 6X2

20220804_231434.jpg

20220804_231957.jpg

20220804_231548.jpg

Arrived Today, I Took This Beauty To The Doctors (tailor) Office, In A Hurry...

Attachments

• 20220804_231207.jpg
    20220804_231207.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 91

milktoast

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with both the 2-ply 80s premium oxfords and the standard 40s compact oxfords from SM MTO? How remarkable is the difference in hand, quality, durability, etc.? Trying to make an informed decision but information is lacking.
Can't speak to MTO, but I own their 3 OCBD variants: lightweight, regular, and premium. If I had to rank them, the order would be as follows: lightweight > premium > regular. Lightweight having the slight edge because the weight just allows you to wear it more throughout the year, while the premium is too thick for warmer temps. My experience is that the premium OCBDs are less stiff than the regular ones. The texture is also smoother and lends itself to a slightly more formal appearance. I like to think of the regular and lightweight OCBDs as some of my favorite "workhorse" shirts, that I can throw on for any given day in the office (granted, when it's not summer), while the premium shirts (to me) feel more appropriate when I still want that preppy/Ivy look with a bit more refinement, if that makes sense. In terms of durability, they're all solid.

I'm sure others can chime in here though as the OCBDs are some of the crowd favorites. Still, hope this helps a bit.

NickisaguyinBK

Reaction score
I see a bunch of new comments about quality issues. Here to beat the dead horse once again. I'm glad I was at home today when this happened! Picking up my daughter from her bouncer and the dam broke. No rips in the fabric, just the threads blowing out. Also noticed a damned belt loop broke free! Never thought it would happen as the pants are, if anything, probably a size up from ideal. I will be reaching out the SM today to see how they will remedy this. I am terrified to wear my other pair of garment-dyed chinos! I'll likely take these in to get repaired since it's just the threads.
image_67203841.JPG

image_67176449.JPG

image_67139329.JPG

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score
I see a bunch of new comments about quality issues. Here to beat the dead horse once again. I'm glad I was at home today when this happened! Picking up my daughter from her bouncer and the dam broke. No rips in the fabric, just the threads blowing out. Also noticed a damned belt loop broke free! Never thought it would happen as the pants are, if anything, probably a size up from ideal. I will be reaching out the SM today to see how they will remedy this. I am terrified to wear my other pair of garment-dyed chinos! I'll likely take these in to get repaired since it's just the threads.
View attachment 1819435
View attachment 1819433
View attachment 1819436
Wow! This is considerably worse than what happened with my chinos. Definitely reach out to customer services.

SpierTeam

Reaction score
View attachment 1819435
View attachment 1819433
View attachment 1819436

Hello, @NickisaguyinBK. I'm sorry to hear about the tear in your chinos. We've responded to the email you sent us about this issue.

For our other customers on Style Forum, we have recently learned that there is an issue with the thread that our factory used for this season's collection of garment-dyed chinos. The thread is a slightly different composition that is not as durable as our previous versions, so unfortunately the seams on these garments are more prone to breaking & splitting. Unfortunately, we were not aware of this issue until after the chinos had already arrived in our warehouse and been shipped out to our customers. Our production team has reached out to our factory to ensure that this issue does not occur for future production runs.

However, if you have experienced a similar issue with our garment-dyed chinos from this season, please reach out to our customer service team at [email protected], and we will gladly take care of it for you. Once again, our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads