• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sydneycider

Reaction score
I see a bunch of new comments about quality issues. Here to beat the dead horse once again. I'm glad I was at home today when this happened! Picking up my daughter from her bouncer and the dam broke. No rips in the fabric, just the threads blowing out. Also noticed a damned belt loop broke free! Never thought it would happen as the pants are, if anything, probably a size up from ideal. I will be reaching out the SM today to see how they will remedy this. I am terrified to wear my other pair of garment-dyed chinos! I'll likely take these in to get repaired since it's just the threads.
View attachment 1819435
View attachment 1819433
View attachment 1819436
Unreal, I was literally just about to post my own issues with my garment dyed chinos. About 5 wears and the side / pocket seams popped.

I really hope this is something that can be fixed, because I otherwise really like the pants.

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_091334__01.jpg
    IMG_20220806_091334__01.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 122

noverbeck

Reaction score
Unreal, I was literally just about to post my own issues with my garment dyed chinos. About 5 wears and the side / pocket seams popped.

I really hope this is something that can be fixed, because I otherwise really like the pants.
This exact same thing happened to my pair. The small pocket within the right pocket broke as well.

sydneycider

Reaction score
Can't speak to MTO, but I own their 3 OCBD variants: lightweight, regular, and premium. If I had to rank them, the order would be as follows: lightweight > premium > regular. Lightweight having the slight edge because the weight just allows you to wear it more throughout the year, while the premium is too thick for warmer temps. My experience is that the premium OCBDs are less stiff than the regular ones. The texture is also smoother and lends itself to a slightly more formal appearance. I like to think of the regular and lightweight OCBDs as some of my favorite "workhorse" shirts, that I can throw on for any given day in the office (granted, when it's not summer), while the premium shirts (to me) feel more appropriate when I still want that preppy/Ivy look with a bit more refinement, if that makes sense. In terms of durability, they're all solid.

I'm sure others can chime in here though as the OCBDs are some of the crowd favorites. Still, hope this helps a bit.
I really really wish they had more lightweight OCBD options. There's really no point buying anything heavier in Australia, but all the fun stripes are only available in the heavy oxfords!

Menswear2021

Reaction score
Sorry for chiming in late on this. I have to respectfully disagree. The deep brown Fox flannel sportcoat has been my favorite teaser so far. I don't think its warmth makes it inherently less useful or attractive. See, for example, this article, extolling the virtues of a warm tweed jacket: https://www.drakes.com/usa/editorial/just-the-right-jacket/. A cooler jacket risks washing out the wearer. A warmer jacket offers depth of color that enlivens and emboldens the wearer. I like that the Fox flannel is darker, richer, and infused with an autumnal pallete of browns, greens, oranges, and purples. To cool it down, all you need is an ice blue oxford shirt and a pair of grey or charcoal flannels, stone chinos, or indigo denim. Its warmth and richness makes it different enough from the Moon (which, while great, has grown a little ubiquitous).

This man speaks the truth.

hysteria

Reaction score
Thoughts on this? Looks like lots of fantastic teasers that will be difficult to choose from this upcoming season, but this one captured my attention bc I've been looking for something similar to the brown donegal jacket that Simon is wearing in his photos from PS with the navy blue polo (not the brown herringbone with grey and white polos).

This seems like a relatively close match? Perhaps Simon's is a bit more taupe where this is a bit more reddish brown, bronze.

Imperatores

Reaction score
I really really wish they had more lightweight OCBD options. There's really no point buying anything heavier in Australia, but all the fun stripes are only available in the heavy oxfords!

Heavy oxford shirts are pointless no matter where you live, imho. I'm in Scandinavia, and I never choose the heavier oxfords over the lightweight ones at any time of the year. They're just way more comfortable and wearable. You don't combat cold by wearing a heavier shirt, you do it by layering and/or with outerwear and jackets. At least with oxford shirts, which aren't really worn much just by themselves (as opposed to a heavy flannel shirt, for instance). And even if I did wear an oxford by itself, I'd rather wear a lightweight one with an undershirt than a heavier shirt.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heavy oxford shirts are pointless no matter where you live, imho. I'm in Scandinavia, and I never choose the heavier oxfords over the lightweight ones at any time of the year. They're just way more comfortable and wearable. You don't combat cold by wearing a heavier shirt, you do it by layering and/or with outerwear and jackets. At least with oxford shirts, which aren't really worn much just by themselves (as opposed to a heavy flannel shirt, for instance). And even if I did wear an oxford by itself, I'd rather wear a lightweight one with an undershirt than a heavier shirt.
Preach. I have a heavy oxford shirt. Never wear it. It just collects dust in the wardrobe. If I want to keep warm I wear a cardigan.

sydneycider

Reaction score
Exactly! We all love to layer and I'd prefer to have more opportunities to layer by wearing a lighter shirt. Is the issue a lack of lightweight Oxford cloth on the market? God I just want me lightweight OCBDs but they're impossible to find.

milktoast

Reaction score
Exactly! We all love to layer and I'd prefer to have more opportunities to layer by wearing a lighter shirt. Is the issue a lack of lightweight Oxford cloth on the market? God I just want me lightweight OCBDs but they're impossible to find.
As we ponder the “why,” we will continue to (impatiently) monitor the site for a restock that takes far too long. Feels bad, man.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heavy oxford shirts are pointless no matter where you live, imho.
LOL. Incredible that OCBDs even caught on!
I wear traditional weight oxfords a lot in the colder months here in Philadelphia. Yes you can layer, but for me the sweaters and vests don't get worn much. Oxford and a jacket for me, if I'm not in a suit.

We have hot weather and cold weather and not a lot of in between. So the LW oxfords don't really have a season and don't get a lot of wear. Too heavy in summer, and they need a sweater in the cold months. Now if I lived in the south, it would be totally different.

JTrent82

Reaction score
As we ponder the “why,” we will continue to (impatiently) monitor the site for a restock that takes far too long. Feels bad, man.
You could just order them MTO. I mean there are only three color options, but they're always available.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
I’m always cold soooooo I prefer a heavier Oxford. Also, thinner ones wrinkle badly after wearing them for like 2 minutes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads