• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NickisaguyinBK

Reaction score
If you don't like it, you should def send back, but I really love the fit of the knit polos. I hate how most polo sleeves barely make it half way down my upper arm. These cover the entirety of my biceps, which I feel gives them a more refined/mature look, rather than the frat-boy at the beach party look of most polos.

Edit: Almost forgot I'm wearing one today.

View attachment 1803629
Personally I dig the sleeve length. Similar to how the button down polo and button cuff make their long sleeve polos stand out, the sleeve length here is a subtle difference. Does the sleeve feel fitted to the arm? As long as it's not baggy, I think it's cool.

I'm not sure if there are any cyclists here but it reminds me of the trend lately of race/performance cycling jerseys having longer sleeves nearly to the elbow. Apparently there are performance advantages. So this polo is extra fast and adds some watts, I assume.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Personally I dig the sleeve length. Similar to how the button down polo and button cuff make their long sleeve polos stand out, the sleeve length here is a subtle difference. Does the sleeve feel fitted to the arm? As long as it's not baggy, I think it's cool.

I'm not sure if there are any cyclists here but it reminds me of the trend lately of race/performance cycling jerseys having longer sleeves nearly to the elbow. Apparently there are performance advantages. So this polo is extra fast and adds some watts, I assume.
The sleeves are VERY fitted--this is an XXL--which I agree works better with the length than if they were baggier. I'll go roller blading in one and report back on how fast they are. :bigstar:

MacGuffen

Reaction score
More appropriate for the season: The olive field jacket is also pretty dope. Spier shirt and chinos underneath.
912A5527-AE5C-49AC-BFA5-DA13322353BD.jpeg

Chadclass

Reaction score
I’ve heard about Spier and Mackey for ages, but I finally pulled the trigger the other day. I’m looking forward to seeing how it is when it arrives!

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Nice jacket. I'm guessing those are the contemporary cut chinos? High rise?
Thank you. It's the grey garment dyed chino, high-rise and slim. I really wish they would make the ankle opening smaller for slim, but other than that they're perfect.

On a side note, I also wish they would make more high-rise trousers without pleats!

NickisaguyinBK

Reaction score
Thank you. It's the grey garment dyed chino, high-rise and slim. I really wish they would make the ankle opening smaller for slim, but other than that they're perfect.

On a side note, I also wish they would make more high-rise trousers without pleats!
Oh wow they don’t look “slim” to me at all! I have 2 pairs of slim chinos on the way, wondering how they’ll look on me…

milktoast

Reaction score
Oh wow they don’t look “slim” to me at all! I have 2 pairs of slim chinos on the way, wondering how they’ll look on me…
They’re not as slim as what you may see from some of the more “mainstream” casual brands (eg Uniqlo, J Crew). However, I’ve found that the cut makes them more versatile. While likely sacrilegious for some folks in this thread, I’ve worn my Spier chinos with sneakers (Stan Smiths), as well as with boots in the colder months. Have looked great with both. You can always get them altered if anything (though I know some folks don’t like having to do anything beyond a hem to casual trousers.)

dinted voice

Reaction score
How is the waist on the slim chinos? If I wear 32 waist in 484 slims should I go with 32 in the slim chinos as well? Looking to get them hemmed before shipping so I need to be accurate in my sizing. Thanks.

Allen22

Reaction score
How is the waist on the slim chinos? If I wear 32 waist in 484 slims should I go with 32 in the slim chinos as well? Looking to get them hemmed before shipping so I need to be accurate in my sizing. Thanks.

they are somewhat according to sizechart, the best way to measure your 484s and compare them to sizechart, probably you will need 33s.

NickisaguyinBK

Reaction score
CHINO HIVE: I just received my replacement, 2 pairs of garment dyed chinos, regular rise, FW21 designation, in SLIM 35. They fit great. My one question, before I get them hemmed, is how much do I account for shrinkage? Their polo shirts shrink like mad so now I'm paranoid, haha.

Last edited:

ptfly

Reaction score
CHINO HIVE: I got a pair of garment dyed high-rise chinos in size 33 Contemporary. They were too small. I just received my replacement, 2 pairs of garment dyed chinos, regular rise, FW21 designation, in SLIM 35. They fit great. My one question, before I get them hemmed, is how much do I account for shrinkage? Their polo shirts shrink like mad so now I'm paranoid, haha.
I have experienced different % of shrinkage on different cotton spier bottoms. Honestly I would wash a couple of times before hemming.

db123456

Reaction score

I find that I'm usually take one size larger from S&M vs. J. Crew (and similar mall brands). I'm usually a 30-inch waist in the S&M chinos, but a 29-inch waist from J. Crew.

I did find that this season's garment-dyed chinos were a bit snugger than the other chinos I've purchased from S&M over the past few years, but I'm not sure if that was just random variation.

db123456

Reaction score
I have experienced different % of shrinkage on different cotton spier bottoms. Honestly I would wash a couple of times before hemming.

Agreed -- the best thing would be to give them a couple of washes before you take them for hemming.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CHINO HIVE: I just received my replacement, 2 pairs of garment dyed chinos, regular rise, FW21 designation, in SLIM 35. They fit great. My one question, before I get them hemmed, is how much do I account for shrinkage? Their polo shirts shrink like mad so now I'm paranoid, haha.
I always wash chinos and jeans 2-3x to get all the shrinkage out before hemming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads