• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
?

I was happy in this thread for a long time. But I’ll get out of your way now. Thanks to the guys who were always kind.
lol chill man, I was giving you a hard time- I 100% agree on the colored lines. No offense meant!:cheers:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if the dieworkwear summer tweed cloth has proceeded to jackets and trouser production at this stage. Got a jacket made a couple of years ago and looking at a trouser in the cloth
I think the DWW Summer Tweed is MTM or MTO only. I am sure S&M will announce when it is available.

vdubiv

Reaction score
Looks like Rick hasn't been checking in on this thread lately but here is his response to a 4-year old reddit AMA question regarding working conditions in factories that make SM garments. If I remember correctly they only work with factories in China now.

Not going to lie, when I first heard about SM I was skeptical but once I started trying some items the quality spoke for itself. I think their business model is also obvious enough that poor treatment of work wouldn’t be the first thing I think of when I wonder how they can provide so much value.

Yes the working conditions are probably not as great as first-world countries but I think we can safely say it's not Nike level bad considering tailors are much higher skilled than the average worker making sneakers.
Not sure what Volume of product SM orders compared to competitors, but think of it in the realm of Walmart, the more you buy from a supplier the better price you can set with that supplier, then pass the savings onto your customer.
The more customers you gain, the more volume you are doing, and prices slowly get driven down.

Plus, I seen mention of people throwing Italy around in this thread, and I can tell you from living here, working conditions aren't much better than some other countries when it comes to people working factory jobs. The workers are barely getting by on the wages they make.

Johnsson

Reaction score
No. I'm stating that price at a department store is not a proxy for quality. Which is what I was trying to get across in my original post, and which @Johnsson reacted to with a quizzical emoji.

Of course there are suits with a "level of handcraft, detail, or fabric quality" to justify $1,400. I'm saying walking into a Macy's or a Nordstrom or a Neiman or a Barneys or a Bergdorf, and assuming that any $1,400 suit on the rack is such an item is not a safe bet.
If you can't discern these things for yourself, then the difference between a $100 suit and a $1400 suit is moot.

drfwtx

Reaction score
I occasionally am tempted to get tweed trousers.
Are they soft and comfortable? I haven't handled the Moon tweed, so I have no point of reference. Who has some and can describe to me their hand?
I found a very subtle itch upon putting them on, however I have sensitive skin so I think it was just a quick need to get used to the difference. It’s tweed, but soft enough for trousers.

mak1277

Reaction score
I found a very subtle itch upon putting them on, however I have sensitive skin so I think it was just a quick need to get used to the difference. It’s tweed, but soft enough for trousers.
I'll add to this...I have a Moon tweed sportcoat and I would say that the material is definitely soft enough for trousers from a drape/movement perspective, but I too would be worried about itch.

Are the trousers lined to the knee?

drfwtx

Reaction score
I'll add to this...I have a Moon tweed sportcoat and I would say that the material is definitely soft enough for trousers from a drape/movement perspective, but I too would be worried about itch.

Are the trousers lined to the knee?
I can double check when I get home, but I believe so.

TheVirt

Reaction score
I occasionally am tempted to get tweed trousers.
Are they soft and comfortable? I haven't handled the Moon tweed, so I have no point of reference. Who has some and can describe to me their hand?
New PS article on The Anthology has a small bit on Simon's general thoughts on tweed as a trouser fabric. I think it's possible, but you'd ideally need to feel the fabric in person to say for sure.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New PS article on The Anthology has a small bit on Simon's general thoughts on tweed as a trouser fabric. I think it's possible, but you'd ideally need to feel the fabric in person to say for sure.
i read that and thought it was good info. i've heard that some tweed tears at the seams under the stress of the knee, others don't. I'm presuming Rick has chosen tweed that's been developed for use as a trouser. But, that does still leave the question of whether it drapes well or bags out, etc. etc.

The hardiness of tweed is what appeals to me about these—kind of like the dress equivalent to denim maybe in that it's hard wearing, a little less formal, and has a texture that's appealing (or maybe covert/cavalry twill would be more akin).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 249 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%
  • 31 - 40