• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

drfwtx

Reaction score
I'll add to this...I have a Moon tweed sportcoat and I would say that the material is definitely soft enough for trousers from a drape/movement perspective, but I too would be worried about itch.

Are the trousers lined to the knee?
I can double check when I get home, but I believe so.

TheVirt

Reaction score
I occasionally am tempted to get tweed trousers.
Are they soft and comfortable? I haven't handled the Moon tweed, so I have no point of reference. Who has some and can describe to me their hand?
New PS article on The Anthology has a small bit on Simon's general thoughts on tweed as a trouser fabric. I think it's possible, but you'd ideally need to feel the fabric in person to say for sure.

TheVirt

Reaction score
Haven't been on the thread for weeks...from what I've glanced at, maybe a good thing :)

Lovat jacket, T. Monti purple label shirt, stone covert twill

IMG_4874.jpg
IMG_4875.jpg

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New PS article on The Anthology has a small bit on Simon's general thoughts on tweed as a trouser fabric. I think it's possible, but you'd ideally need to feel the fabric in person to say for sure.
i read that and thought it was good info. i've heard that some tweed tears at the seams under the stress of the knee, others don't. I'm presuming Rick has chosen tweed that's been developed for use as a trouser. But, that does still leave the question of whether it drapes well or bags out, etc. etc.

The hardiness of tweed is what appeals to me about these—kind of like the dress equivalent to denim maybe in that it's hard wearing, a little less formal, and has a texture that's appealing (or maybe covert/cavalry twill would be more akin).

TheVirt

Reaction score
i read that and thought it was good info. i've heard that some tweed tears at the seams under the stress of the knee, others don't. I'm presuming Rick has chosen tweed that's been developed for use as a trouser. But, that does still leave the question of whether it drapes well or bags out, etc. etc.

The hardiness of tweed is what appeals to me about these—kind of like the dress equivalent to denim maybe in that it's hard wearing, a little less formal, and has a texture that's appealing (or maybe covert/cavalry twill would be more akin).
Yeah, I would argue that covert/cav twill would be more similar to denim as a cloth. Of course they're gonna drape much more cleanly since they're wool as opposed to denim, but the texture of cav twill especially with its double twill weave can be apparent. Besides, denim's a twill weave too.

On the flip side, I've got a pair of Gap x David Hart donegal tweed trousers from the GQ capsule years back. It's bagged out in the knees for sure, though that's more a function of how slim the cut is (2014 #menswear woot). For some odd reason they actually feel more formal than the covert twills I have...can't really put my finger on why though...

YMMV of course. Maybe the lack of crease-holding ability that tweed has is the kind of rumpled denim alternative you're looking for.

ElliotG

Reaction score

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Added 1/4" to the shoulders, 1/2" to the waist. Then the sleeve length. Otherwise 42R contemporary Neapolitan.

Yet, those minimal changes gives me the impression that the jacket fits much better than your usual stuff (not saying that your usual stuff is ill-fitting). I don't understand how simply adding to the shoulders and waist gives off such a different silhouette but interestingly, this jackets feels less "stocky" (for lack of a better adjective - I'm sorry, English isn't my main language). Maybe I'm picturing some of your jackets that aren't S&M Neapolitan fit, though.

Anyway, great jacket, you're lucky that such small changes give such a great finished product.

On a side note, for those who ordered MTO, what was the rough turnaround time?

(I wanted to comment on the WAYWRN thread but thought it might be best posted here.)

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads