• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my defense I bought a 42L last year and have been unhappy with its snugness around my dad bod even after letting it out. The 44L is a bit large in the shoulders but good in the belly. I deserve it.

don't blame you a bit. I bought one last year. Ordered it literally within 5 or so minutes of the drop.And then they were gone!

The inventory of these things is just way way too low, especially in this size. Not sure why there has been no adjustment upward of the inventory this year. 3 or 4 pieces?? gone in a couple hours. whats the point?

I obviously don't think you or any other SM customer is answerable for that.

Sdig14

Reaction score
Alright guys, I need your help on my journey. Haven't posted a fit picture as this place can be pretty harsh, even if true, ha. But I will risk it. The first few pics are the Navy Fresco in 40 contemporary. Second ones are the light grey VBC fresco trousers. These I had tailored and think we went too far on the slim side as the pockets starting to bulge out a bit and a bit too slim in my thighs I think.

Other than of course shortening the navy pants and sleeves on suit jacket as I'm only 5'8, what else should I consider? I have tried the 40S contemporary, but find the jacket a hot short?

Apologies in advance for ghostly white feet and below average photography skills of my girlfriend. Makes it look like the pants are sitting lower than they are as she kind of was shooting photos downward a bit. Alright gentlemen, appreciate your thoughts and help. Be gentle.

20190502_184849.jpg

20190502_184855.jpg

20190502_184904.jpg

20190502_185006.jpg

20190502_185022.jpg

20190502_185229.jpg

20190502_185234.jpg

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
Alright guys, I need your help on my journey. Haven't posted a fit picture as this place can be pretty harsh, even if true, ha. But I will risk it. The first few pics are the Navy Fresco in 40 contemporary. Second ones are the light grey VBC fresco trousers. These I had tailored and think we went too far on the slim side as the pockets starting to bulge out a bit and a bit too slim in my thighs I think.

Other than of course shortening the navy pants and sleeves on suit jacket as I'm only 5'8, what else should I consider? I have tried the 40S contemporary, but find the jacket a hot short?

Apologies in advance for ghostly white feet and below average photography skills of my girlfriend. Makes it look like the pants are sitting lower than they are as she kind of was shooting photos downward a bit. Alright gentlemen, appreciate your thoughts and help. Be gentle.

View attachment 1169580

There's an excess of fabric in the top block which is causing the bunching as shown in the photos. The jacket is also too tight at your waist.

The navy pants aren't bad; however, they appear to be "snagging" along your calves, which is preventing them from draping properly.

bnd6xc

Reaction score
Navy trousers look excellent, and while I agree the grey trousers are a touch slim, you will probably be ok when not robo-posing for pictures. I would prefer a touch less taper, starting lower and that is likely why they get a bit tight above the knee.

How does the jacket fit in the shoulders? It’s hard to tell from the pictures if it’s the slope of your shoulders or sizing that creates the problem area below your armpits. I would be interested to see a 38R, even if it requires the waist to be let out. That might also help with the length issue if you prefer a slightly longer jacket.

Last edited:

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF wisdom says fresco is better for suit, because of a bit less texture and more durability (trousers do suffer a lot).
I care for neither of these aspects, plus Fresco suit has jetted pockets which I hate with a passion, therefore hopsack for me.

Ah yes, this is a timeless piece many will remember, and well worth reading in the midst of S&M dropping what is essentially a navy hopsack blazer suit.
Trigger warning: it's not about clothes, it's about social identity.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/navy-hopsack-suit.151036/

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How tall are you guys? I'm 192cm and totaly fine with regular. Although 46.
Just curious.

I'm 185cm but don't know how to describe my body. Haha. But I like how the L size look. I once tried a 44R, not in the Neapolitan version but it was quite short for my taste.

2018-10-10_08-51-47.jpg

We need to let you wife know you're buying too S&M stuff. :lol:

Two years in a row, gone in less than a day.
cmon

Indeed. I haven't bought anything not because I didn't want to, it's because they are OOS haha.

Nemesis_4

Reaction score
Ah yes, this is a timeless piece many will remember, and well worth reading in the midst of S&M dropping what is essentially a navy hopsack blazer suit.
Trigger warning: it's not about clothes, it's about social identity.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/navy-hopsack-suit.151036/

I’ve breezed through that thread before, not worth it. Mostly:slapfight:. Though I did learn that Lesser makes a 16oz hopsack from it.

Sdig14

Reaction score
There's an excess of fabric in the top block which is causing the bunching as shown in the photos. The jacket is also too tight at your waist.

The navy pants aren't bad; however, they appear to be "snagging" along your calves, which is preventing them from draping properly.
Yes, well, I'm so short that I had to roll the pants underneath about a good foot so they didn't cover my entire foot or bunch up a ton at the bottom. I rolled them up on the outside instead just to see of they drape better, and they do.

What part are you referring to for the bunching? In the arms? Will this improve when I shorten the sleeves?

Last edited:

Sdig14

Reaction score
Navy trousers look excellent, and while I agree the grey trousers are a touch slim, you will probably be ok when not robo-posing for pictures. I would prefer a touch less taper, starting lower and that is likely why they get a bit tight above the knee.

How does the jacket fit in the shoulders? It’s hard to tell from the pictures if it’s the slope of your shoulders or sizing that creates the problem area below your armpits. I would be interested to see a 38R, even if it requires the waist to be let out. That might also help with the length issue if you prefer a slightly longer jacket.
Seems to fit well in the shoulders. I was standing a bit awkwardly as bot used to photos but I also think I have a bit of a slope to deal with. Hadn't considering trying a 38R, perhaps worth a try. Last time I tried one last season it was a bit tight in the upper chest area, despite shoulders being quite good.

How much doesn't opening the vents up make the jacket fit in the waist? I dont really ever know when to let the waist out or not because it feels fine on that's for sure.

At least I think off the rack I've got something decent worth taking to a tailor and seeing what they can do and then post some after pictures to see if anything else needs altering.

Sdig14

Reaction score

Also, the navy fresco trousers have had no taper or alterations yet. For some reason I thought the VBC fresco trousers and the Minnis fresco would fit the same, despite slightly higher rise. But I thought I remember more excess fabric in the thigh area on the VBC prior to alterations.

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
Yes, well, I'm so short that I had to roll the pants underneath about a good foot so they didn't cover my entire foot or bunch up a ton at the bottom. I rolled them up on the outside instead just to see of they drape better, and they do.

What part are you referring to for the bunching? In the arms? Will this improve when I shorten the sleeves?

This is the bunching I am referring to, which is caused by an excess of fabric and the fact that the suit is too tapered at the waist for your build. Shortening the sleeves will have no impact whatsoever.

5066582A-C9F8-4EA5-87DA-C50986D33E72.jpeg

Sdig14

Reaction score
This is the bunching I am referring to, which is caused by an excess of fabric and the fact that the suit is too tapered at the waist for your build. Shortening the sleeves will have no impact whatsoever.

View attachment 1169622
Would letting out the waist correct this? I assume not. But may let it drape a bit better. Or perhaps trying a 38 instead of 40, but then I'd likely have to let the waist out more than what might even be possible.

sid11111

Reaction score
aww ****, well there goes my perfect breathable t-shirt then

Well a linen t-shirt still works, just be prepared to be covered in a layer of linen fuzz at the end of the day. I find pique is more ideal, as its weight allows for much better draping whilst its open weave means excellent permeability.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads