• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone has a pair of size 30 Contemporary Navy Hopsack trousers that they are willing to part with I'm willing to purchase for retail. Even were they hemmed PM me and I can see if they'll fit,

Thank you!

Contango

Reaction score
[QUOTE="SJR3, post: 9420408, member: 263312”]
I seem to have the opposite problem as you. I can fit just fine in Spier's OTR size 44 contemp suits/jackets, but the shirts in my neck size (16) are all too slim.[/QUOTE]
Their custom made shirts are such good value though!

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I have some of their OG Contemporary shirts (blue flannel herringbone, burgundy/navy gingham flannel), and they still fit nice and relaxed. IIRC, the chest and waist measurements became slimmer and tighter with change of manufacturer. I don’t buy the concept that the shirts “loosen up” as you wear them over the day. If I have to rely on that, it’s probably too tight to begin with.

My linens, brushed oxfords, and even some dress shirts have shrunk to unwearable degrees.

Also, we are all aware MTM is an option and affordable.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I have some of their OG Contemporary shirts (blue flannel herringbone, burgundy/navy gingham flannel), and they still fit nice and relaxed. IIRC, the chest and waist measurements became slimmer and tighter with change of manufacturer. I don’t buy the concept that the shirts “loosen up” as you wear them over the day. If I have to rely on that, it’s probably too tight to begin with.

My linens, brushed oxfords, and even some dress shirts have shrunk to unwearable degrees.

Also, we are all aware MTM is an option and affordable.

I echo the sentiment. I have the aforementionned flannels in blue and burgundy herringbone, and burgundy/navy gingham, and they fit me better that the shirts I ordered subsequently, which either shrunk or were tighter to begin with.

Wonder why that is...

NeverLearntToShare

Reaction score
Owners of both S&M dress trousers and chinos: do you wear the same size in each? I noticed that the chinos are cut a little fuller in comparison to the dress trousers. Do people tend to size down for the chinos?

Tastethesoup

Reaction score
Can't say whether it's a difference in measurements or personal preference, but I've found that I prefer the slim cut in chinos but the contemporary in trousers. No difference in size though.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Owners of both S&M dress trousers and chinos: do you wear the same size in each? I noticed that the chinos are cut a little fuller in comparison to the dress trousers. Do people tend to size down for the chinos?

Funny you mention that. We're actually reworking our fit/sizing for the slim chino for this coming Fall/Winter. Just small tweaks, but should make an improved difference in fit.

NeverLearntToShare

Reaction score
Funny you mention that. We're actually reworking our fit/sizing for the slim chino for this coming Fall/Winter. Just small tweaks, but should make an improved difference in fit.

Regarding inseam for the chinos, is there material to let out? I'd be a 32 waist but closer to a 33 inseam, so the 32 inseam they come with wouldn't work for me.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be the diff between slim and contemporary of the same waist size? Just narrower legs?

adelorenzo

Reaction score
Regarding inseam for the chinos, is there material to let out? I'd be a 32 waist but closer to a 33 inseam, so the 32 inseam they come with wouldn't work for me.

If there isn't enough material you can always have your tailor add a false hem. I do this all the time with pants to get an extra inch or so in length.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped off two jackets with my tailor today; an MTO Formosa and a RTW S&M. The tailor loved the S&M and hated the Formosa and spent several minutes showing me why he felt the S&M was superior. If S&M would offer fabrics as nice as I get from my bespoke tailor and from Formosa and the like, I’d be willing to pay a premium to cover the higher material cost, plus a premium. Is this possible with S&M as MTO/MTM?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went into the Mississauga store with no intention to purchase anything but get advice on my upcoming wedding in June of next year and I bought the VBC Charcoal Neapolitan suit.

So the Neapolitan is cut a little "larger" than the other basic suits. I'm normally a 38R slim in Spier and Mackay suits but in the VBC I'm a 36R contemporary. Also, I guess my squats are paying off as I can't fit into 30 contemporary anymore and now I;m at 32 contemporary.

You guys are SLEEPING on the Neapolitan though! It's a KILLER look. I'm so glad I went in store and picked it up. Should be back from alternations in 3 weeks as I have a engagement party to attend. Hopefully will take some pics

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameslealton