• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ninzer33

Reaction score
This season we've stepped up the quality. The new ones are Anti-Pill and Machine washable in cold water/lay flat to dry. They have a similar possibly even softer handfeel.

V-Neck, Cardigan and turtleneck.
Navy, Bright Navy, Lt. Gray, Charcoal, Lt. Brown, Medium Brown and Burn Orange.

Should be here end of September.
Turtlenecks and the burnt orange+browns I'm all over. This is awesome news.

Also adding that the bottom button on my only Spier cardigan also fell off after the 2nd wear which was a little disappointing.

jamie411

Reaction score
Hey all, I already have the tobacco fresco suit. Any reason I should also purchase the brown texture neapolitan? I very much like the color but am unsure if it is too similar to the tobacco fresco, and thus, a bit repetitive.

I guess it depends on how many brown suits you need... They're different in color and texture, but not dramatically so - so unless you've got a really deep rotation of suits, you can probably pass. I had a similar internal debate, and that was my final rationale...

Cartwright

Reaction score
View attachment 1012778
View attachment 1012779
View attachment 1012780

Just materializing out of the aether to join the choruses of praise being sung for the @spiermackay Neapolitan v3 jacket.

Ahem.

The quality, fit, and fabric that they've been able to pack into a sub-$400 jacket is astonishing. Everyone loves to rave on about the quality of bespoke—and I stand in awe of those who do it well—but I don't think people really appreciate the difficulty of designing a truly good RTW sport coat. When you really think about the dizzying variability of the human body, and what is involved in making a sport coat drape properly, you have to conclude that only a madman would stake his future on making a traditional jacket that will provide the best possible results across all body types, at a price that is low enough to attract customers.

Spier and Mackay, not content that this quest is insane enough, have set their sights on an even more impossible target: persnickety clotheshorses who both know and care what Minnis Fresco is, and who also want to pay less than $400 for a jacket. It seems a sure plan for involuntary confinement, yet when you put this jacket on it's immediately clear that no madmen were involved.

I can't see any noticeable difference in quality between this and my Ring AMJ03. In fact, I like the fit of the Spier better. That isn't a quality issue—in RTW, fit and quality are often two separate issues: some jackets just happen to fit you better. There are some issues of taste, though, and I find the sleeves of the v3 to be slightly less capacious and balloony than the Ring. They are looser than one of my other Neapolitan-style favorites, the SuSu Hudson (or "Havana X-Treme" or whatever they're calling it now). I like the slender sleeve of the Hudson, and the AMJ03 is nice, but this porridge is just right.

Note I threw in a side shot to show the lapel roll. Normally I take even my best quality jackets and iron a roll into them first thing, but this roll came bouncing out of the box like it was spring-loaded; whatever canvassing they are using in there is working. I have not pressed or ironed anything on this jacket—it just came out of the box like this (those little wrinkles on the left sleeve happened after I wore it). Part of that is the insanely good drape of real Minnis Fresco, but that's among the many wonders of this $398 jacket.

My only quibble with this particular model is that I would ditch the traditional off-white striped Bemberg for the sleeve lining; the open weave of the Fresco makes the sheen of the lining slightly visible in certain light. I would go with a mid-brown lining, but honestly I don't own any other tobacco Fresco jackets; it could be that everyone uses the off-white. But this is a quibble. As I'm embarking on a lifelong relationship with this jacket, if it continues to bother me I will happily get the sleeve lining replaced one day.

So, yeah, I'm sold. My only regret is that I didn't act fast enough to get the high-waisted, single-pleat matching trousers for $138(!!!). I can say to @spiermackay that if these are as good as the jacket, and if they make a similar cotton twill pair in, say, a British tan, for, say, less than $100, I just might start weeping with gratitude and never stop.

In parting, let me say, that yes, I know my sleeve is caught on my watch, and no, it's not the sleeve's fault. And also, get the jacket.

Great write-up. Checked out your instagram, just wanted to say you've got great style (and talent!).

Cheers.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those were good pick ups last year. We can only run so many "fashion" colours outside the basic staples, and we didn't want to simply repeat exactly what we did before. As we grow this program, we hope to have at least 10-12 colours every season if not more.
No biggie. You should make whatever sells best. At the end of the day it’s about S&M flourishing. Those are just my favorite colors for fall along with navy and brown. Excited about the turtlenecks.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've yet to try any S&M non Neopolitan suits. How are they in terms of shoulder and construction? Any pictures in the wild?

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was gonna buy some popovers and the navy twill but summer's drawing to a close so I decided to save my money for the fall run

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't purchase much in the sale as I'm pretty well stocked on summer stuff and trying to save up for MTM (Hey you size 40R contemp folks, I'm cleaning house, PM me for details!) but I ordered a 2nd white cotton/linen popover. I love the fit and look of these. Now I can wear one more casually and keep one for work.

pickergc

Reaction score
After a week of traveling a nice welcome home. Fresh out of the box.
- hypebeast-level Gun check SC
- almost nonexistant PoW suit (weird color distortion that my lightroom skills cannot fix)
- (edit) blue frescos

Pickering_August-43.jpg

Pickering_August-42.jpg

Pickering_August-40.jpg

Pickering_August-51.jpg

Pickering_August-50.jpg

Pickering_August-48.jpg

Pickering_August-46.jpg

Pickering_August-45.jpg

Pickering_August-44.jpg

Last edited:

Wilson13

Reaction score
After a week of traveling a nice welcome home. Fresh out of the box.
- hypebeast-level Gun check SC
- almost nonexistant PoW suit (weird color distortion that my lightroom skills cannot fix)
- (edit) blue frescos

View attachment 1013790

View attachment 1013791

View attachment 1013792

View attachment 1013793

View attachment 1013794

View attachment 1013795

View attachment 1013796

View attachment 1013804

View attachment 1013805

Wow, the out-of-box fit, especially on the POW, is fantastic for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads