• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
lol where did you get the idea I was based in the East from? And almost all of the propatrol I know, the guys who have triple-digit seasons every year, rock Arcteryx shells. No offense, but I think I put a lot more faith into their endorsements than yours

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
lol where did you get the idea I was based in the East from? And almost all of the propatrol I know, the guys who have triple-digit seasons every year, rock Arcteryx shells. No offense, but I think I put a lot more faith into their endorsements than yours
"Propatrol"?? Dude you can wear whatever you want but none of your buddies get paid 6 figures to ski out of a helicopter. They don't have product named after them. The opinions of anyone whose industry circle is a local ski hill is simply not broadly informed enough. I hate to pull the status rug out from under you here but you're the one who called yourself a "snowsports professional", I am not trying to be a dick. You're right though, older guys seem attached to arc / patagonia / CV / MH, so you'll probably find quite a few TGR die hards on the stuff who are decidedly the opposite of weekend warriors. You'll probably also find them on 90mm waists as their fat ski - my point being that those are the people most resistant to change who look at their gear like a pick up truck, tried tested and the same **** they were using in 2002. All of that being said, what hill do you work at? What works for your local conditions is all that matters.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
4LLzI.jpg

8ww2sl.jpg

jil f/w07 crewneck with metallic stripe. The wool part is kind of black and grey, not completely solid.

zlJ0V.gif

Od7T9.gif

raf simons s/s2000 geometric crew

SnwFt.jpg

jil f/w07 metallic turtleneck.

jil f/w07 gradient turtleneck

m17oF.jpg

more f/w07

You should give credit where credit is due
sarcasm.gif

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
considering purchasing rossi s3's, nordica enforcers and volkl fast-as-*****

real men ski in helly hansen, duh

and tnf

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more interested in the techincal debate currenty raging in Maui re: Rainbow vs. Sanuk, Cobian, and Orthaheel flip-flops. Maui Brewing Co. has already won outright in the great beer fight vs. Kona Brewing Co. and Primo.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brinbro
I've never handled WJK and I never will.
Why are you so certain you'll never handle wjk? That's your choice, but it seems kind of closed minded. In every wjk collection I have seen many pieces that could easily be paired with pieces from W+H. A lot of wjk pieces are very basic and emphasize fabric quality, just like W+H. Thus, I feel a lot of long term W+H fans whom are not keen on the brand's newer work wear direction would find a lot to like in wjk!
Also, I've seen some really poorly chosen W+H pieces here as well (as I have almost every brand...comes with the territory), almost exclusively tiger fleeces of some sort in fit pictures. Whether you want to blame that on the company or the person doing the buying is entirely up to you, but I think I'll choose the latter.
If we see an excessively high number of ackward fits involving W+H pieces, it is only reasonable to assume one or both of the following: 1. That W+H pieces are not easy to make look good due to the design, or 2. That an unusually high number of W+H customers are inexperienced and have a poor sense of style. If the later is largely true (as you appear to be suggesting), what does that tell us about the brand?
Finally, you're an xs, so things will likely fit slightly 'weird' on you considering that fact. Isn't that why you import so much of your clothing?
Wings+Horns used to be touted as somehting like "Born in Japan, raised in Canada". The brand has always offered slimmer fits than most others in North America. For example, on some W+H pieces the XS is actually too tight on me and I've had to size up to S. The slim fits is a key reason why I continue to follow the brand. So I would not attempt to characterize W+H as being a bad fit for skinny guys, but great for everyone else.
I used to really like your insight in this forum, but lately you've become somewhat elitist with a mocking, condescending tone. That's the last thing this forum needs.
You are likely annoyed solely because I attempted to downgrade one of your beloved brands (as well a forum favorite). But it's ironic since I actually like W+H somewhat-- I'm just questioning the full-on love fest for it that is so often seen here. If I truly hated the brand, you would see me over the in W+H thread making negative comments like I have done for JCrew and Bean. Would it surprise you learn that I feel W+H generally has better construction quality my beloved DBSS brand? No joke! I've been planning to start a thread about this topic in the future and show pictures of the sub-standard construction on many brands, with DBSS as a prime example. I'm willing to admit this without feeling embarrassed or threatened about my choice in brands.
I think we're fighting because BB1 feels a need to inflate his ego and justify his purchase ($300, cotton, black sweatpants) by bragging on an internet forum how much better X brand is better than Y in totally subjective terms. I am not sure what this accomplishes since you're alienating everyone who enjoys brand Y (which is a lot of people on this forum).
Tell me if I got this right... 1. I should not openly share my thoughts on brands which are forum favorites if my opinion would offend the majority. To do so might alienate others and create disharmony in the forum. 2. Comparisons of fabric quality, stitching, design, or hardware quality are inherently subjective, therefore I should not attempt to draw any comparisons between brands.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
8ww2sl.jpg

I really like the Jil sweater with the "tear" pattern in it-- it's as if two different pieces were loosely knitted together. The DBSS sweaters from FW09 had a similar detail, but the tear detail on this Jil one is better executed. Nice!

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Would it surprise you learn that I feel W+H generally has better construction quality my beloved DBSS brand? No joke! I've been planning to start a thread about this topic in the future and show pictures of the sub-standard construction on many brands, with DBSS as a prime example. I'm willing to admit this without feeling embarrassed or threatened about my choice in brands.
Speaking as a noob, this would be pretty sweet. I know the concept of "quality" is revered by MC and the J.Crew crowd (lol) and totally dismissed by ppl like Fuuma, but its value probably lies somewhere in-between. For someone who doesn't have great access to these niche or top-tier brands and/or doesn't have the disposable income to try everything out, this seems pretty interesting as a demonstration of not just these smaller brands, but also the usual characteristics that make up "construction" described by the SF heavy-hitters.

Brinbro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Tell me if I got this right... 1. I should not openly share my thoughts on brands which are forum favorites if my opinion would offend the majority. To do so might alienate others and create disharmony in the forum. 2. Comparisons of fabric quality, stitching, design, or hardware quality are inherently subjective, therefore I should not attempt to draw any comparisons between brands.
1: Please do, but check the condescension at the door. Express your opinion as such, not as fact. 2: Unless you can quantify these terms with any kind of evidence or knowledge what isn't subjective about it? Don't worry, everyone on this forum does this to justify what they buy but it's ridiculous. If you like an item, like it, don't try to tell me the same riri zipper is better on a wjk piece than a w+h piece.
eh.gif
Originally Posted by BB1
If the later is largely true (as you appear to be suggesting), what does that tell us about the brand?
That people took ill-advised suggestions from this forum and superfuture about what to buy? That such an entry-level looking brand, since they make a lot of nice basics, appears pretty harmless to fashion-newbies? I could go on. I've seen the same thing happen with people trying to jump into Japanese brands with similar results.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
"Propatrol"?? Dude you can wear whatever you want but none of your buddies get paid 6 figures to ski out of a helicopter. They don't have product named after them. The opinions of anyone whose industry circle is a local ski hill is simply not broadly informed enough. I hate to pull the status rug out from under you here but you're the one who called yourself a "snowsports professional", I am not trying to be a dick. You're right though, older guys seem attached to arc / patagonia / CV / MH, so you'll probably find quite a few TGR die hards on the stuff who are decidedly the opposite of weekend warriors. You'll probably also find them on 90mm waists as their fat ski - my point being that those are the people most resistant to change who look at their gear like a pick up truck, tried tested and the same **** they were using in 2002. All of that being said, what hill do you work at? What works for your local conditions is all that matters.
So every time you go out you heliski? And you do so >100 times a year? If not you're bullshitting yourself to think that Arcteryx is somehow below your level. I let the first slip pass by, but you're a fool if you thought I used "snowsports professional" seriously, which is precisely why it has been in quotes every time I've used it. The only real critique of Arcteryx gear is price and fit (though I prefer the slimmer fit since all of my roomier shells have ended up snagging on trees and dying horrible deaths) Postscript: My cards say Snowsports Professional, therefore I have to be one
smile.gif

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
So every time you go out you heliski? And you do so >100 times a year? If not you're bullshitting yourself to think that Arcteryx is somehow below your level. I let the first slip pass by, but you're a fool if you thought I used "snowsports professional" seriously, which is precisely why it has been in quotes every time I've used it. The only real critique of Arcteryx gear is price and fit (though I prefer the slimmer fit since all of my roomier shells have ended up snagging on trees and dying horrible deaths) Postscript: My cards say Snowsports Professional, therefore I have to be one
smile.gif

Dude I understand you're trying to save face here by continuing what is really a pretty pointless debate but you're Kent Money-ing right now. I know it was tongue in cheek but you're clearly sort of serious and the reference to the "propatrol" is just more of it - FYI, that's looked at sort of like if you worked at a banana republic in Wichita and claimed to be "a fashion professional". Of course I'm going to call you out a little. Price and fit are two legitimate concerns with Arcteryx but maybe more importantly is that people (like you did) put it on some sort of pedestal when the tech is not top of the line and the features and design are seriously lacking. Taking an outerwear discussion and going "you need to just buy arcteryx, why not get the best" is kind of like going into SW&D and posting, "why do you guys bother with all this other ****, clearly Brunello Cucinelli is the ultimate in men's apparel." Yeah I know it's not a perfect analogy, but it hits about the same. The skis we were riding in the 90s will get you from top to bottom and they're not going to dictate whether you have fun on the hill. Neither will wearing one kind of outerwear or another. But I'm not still skiing on the same planks I was 10 years ago - they invented rocker so I don't have to (I actually really wish they hadn't but that's a whole other spiel). But wear what you want, ride what you want, ski or board, drop 30's or skip around, as long as you're enjoying it it really doesn't matter.
Originally Posted by Synthese
considering purchasing rossi s3's, nordica enforcers and volkl fast-as-***** real men ski in helly hansen, duh and tnf
Hahahaha. Helly has really gone to **** the past 5 years or so. Super disappointing. I still wish I could get my hands on one of the OG Pollard puffys from like 2005 or so. Not even to ski in it was just a really well put together comfortable jacket. I was a huge gear nerd back then.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1: Please do, but check the condescension at the door. Express your opinion as such, not as fact.

2: Unless you can quantify these terms with any kind of evidence or knowledge what isn't subjective about it? Don't worry, everyone on this forum does this to justify what they buy but it's ridiculous. If you like an item, like it, don't try to tell me the same riri zipper is better on a wjk piece than a w+h piece.
eh.gif

What is your deal stfu.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember commercial fishing in highschool (2001-2003ish) and wearing heavy duty Helly Hansen raingear. I'm talking the overall style underneath the full-on raincoat. Stuff was badass. Wore bright yellow boots to go with it. Obviously didn't give a flying **** what I wore, but the stuff was constructed very well. The next year I bought an HH puffer and a snowboard suit because I knew they would hold up. I don't think I ever really wore the puffer (even though it was pretty nice) because it never got that cold in Vancouver very often. I'll see if I can dig it up- it's probably in a small, from 2003 or 4 and hardly used... might be ugly as **** for all I remember. Could have been black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads