1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed. Help me round out my vintage outwear collection.

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by TrendyTrent, Apr 1, 2016.

1. TrendyTrent

TrendyTrent Member

Hi all,

First of all, I'd like to give a quick bio. of my style history - so you might better understand my influences and personal tastes; to help you make more informed/relevant suggestions.

Basically, I am in my early twenties and currently studying full-time at university. I would say that my personal style tends to leans towards being more street-wear orientated, with a hint of bohemian flair. For, let us say, the past year and a half - I have been amassing/collecting quite a lot of vintage outerwear. This obsession spurred, albeit only partly, from the realization that I was in fact a grown man: who still dressed very much like a child. i.e. there was no real sense of deliberation in my garment purchases/acquisitions, and many of those choices weren't exactly age appropriate. Think printed tees and cargo shorts... That said, I am/was not entirely uncultured. Decided upon making a conscious effort to dress in a fashion more befitting of a grown man, I quickly found an appreciation for classic men's outerwear and began collecting these timeless garments. Most of my purchases have been inspired by celebrities, actors and musicians of yesteryear. Men I have now come to worship as my own personal style gurus. Men such as: Steve McQueen, James Dean, Marlon Brando, Sean Connery, Jim Morrison etc. etc. Coming from a middle-class background and being brought up in a culture/society that very much promotes, and praises, manly men; I guess I have unknowingly chosen to collect what could be considered "quintessential menswear". Garments generally associated with middle-class manly men throughout recent history.

So, onto the point... I would like to ask your advice on what sorts of garments I might consider to better round out my current wardrobe and improve its versatility.

Also, I am rather new to the idea of man jewellery/accessorizing - but not entirely unreceptive to the concept. If any of you have a suggestion of something particular that might compliment existing garments in my wardrobe, please feel free to chime in.

Here's a list of what's currently in my wardrobe:

Chicago Bulls No.23 Jordan Jersey
    McGregor anti-freeze Jacket - red
    Pendleton loop Plaid Shirt - red
    College Varsity Jacket - red
    Lee Padded Ski Vest - red
    Levis Small e Chambray Shirt
    Wrangler Wrancher Coat
    Lee Storm Rider Jacket
    Levis Type 2 Big E Jacket
    Levis Type 2 cut-off vest
    Vietnam MA-1 Flight Jacket
    Vietnam M65 Field Jacket
    Vietnam field Camo Poplin
    Aran wool knit Sweater
    Lee Westerner 100j Jacket
    Carhartt duck-cloth Chore Jacket
    Levis Suede Type 2 Jacket
    Aero Leather synch-back Jacket - ochre
    Brooks Cafe Racer Jacket - black
    Schott Perfecto one-star Jacket - black
    Belstaff Trial Master Jacket
    USN WW2 Pea Coat - black

Here are some of the items I am currently considering:

Izod Lacoste Beige Barracuta jacket???
    Yves Saint Laurent Velvet Smoking Jacket???
    Harris Tweed Herringbone Jacket???
    Plain Black Waist coat???

Thanks for reading!

TrendyTrent. :slayer:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

3. LA Guy

Incidentally, if you are going for vintage, there are plenty of vintage G9s, the "classic" Baracuta model, around at vintage shops.

1 person likes this.
  4. TrendyTrent

TrendyTrent Member

Thanks LA guy!

I've got a pair of reasonably nice chukkas from Aquilla, that I wear a lot. Usually, paired with some 501s and my MA-1 a la Steve McQueen.

5. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Well done to Fok, you actually read through all that :)

6. LA Guy

All that time spent in academia is paying off at last!

1 person likes this.
  7. LA Guy

Welcome. Incidentally, if you use the @ function, you can call out a member so that they get your message.

1 person likes this.
  8. TrendyTrent

TrendyTrent Member

@chobochobo I don't know what you mean? It literally only took me 30 seconds to re-read that entire first post. God help you, should you ever find yourself confronted with a book...

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a pretty wide range of exemplars. And they themselves probably have embraced several style each. Why not find 15-30 outfits from those blokes that really capture the feeling you are going for in what you want to wear?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  10. TrendyTrent

TrendyTrent Member

That's a good suggestion...