Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Also getting to know how the professor thinks helps you anticipate which material to focus on and even helps anticipate questions for a test.

I had a professor literally call out the whole class about not going to his office hours and not getting to know him. He said its to the students advantage to know how i think. Worked well for me because i knew exactly how to write papers for him. Also he was a very smart guy so i enjoyed talking to him and ended up grabbing a beer with him at end of semester.

2. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

SF likes to make it seem like if you're not the top of the heap you're a failure.

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

thats actually a bad mentality, of course there are ppl at top and thats fine, but you shouldn't discourage others from going to law school with a non 4.0 GPA, thats how people develop a mentality that schools such as Stanford and Harvard are out of reach, they aren't, you need good grades yes, but not always a 4.0

my friend got into #1 pharmacy school without a 4.0, he has a good gpa, above 3.5 i believe but he got in and is at top of his class, took him applying 3x

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

for what it's worth, I don't think you're a failure if you're not at the top of the heap. I just know several people who've finished law school within the past few years and have had really difficult times finding jobs. these friends have all questioned whether the huge amounts of time and money they spent on law school were worth it. I'd say about 50% of my friends with JDs actually work in law. in addition to this evidence, which is just anecdotal, there have been plenty of reports and news stories over the past few years talking about how hard it is for lawyers right now. with the slump in the economy, a lot of people couldn't find work they really wanted, so they went to law school to "ride out" the recession. what they did is just accumulate debt while they waited for the economy to get back in gear, and so many people had this idea that now there are lots of lawyers and still not a lot of jobs. so it's not a matter of whether someone will be a failure, it's a matter of how hard a time they'll have finding work (and paying off their student loans) once they get that JD

5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

6. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I had a near-perfect SAT score and like a 3.8 out of high school and most of the really 'good' schools were out of reach; Stanford and Harvard are unobtainable for all but maybe 1% of high schoolers that don't have ultra-rich parents.

I'm really glad I went the liberal arts route in school and delayed going to grad school, though. I don't know why the fuck some (most?) colleges expect 18 and 19-year-old kids to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives or even what they're interested in.

7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

but thats a financial issue not a grades issue, i had a friend not go to stanford because of the money, sucks but its not like he wasn't good enough, you probably were good to go to, just a cash issue...

BTW cant agree more on the 2nd part, 18yr olds know nothing

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

3.8 is not high enough to get into top tier undergrad if you want a competitive major (barring major donations by parents/legacy/etc).

In RP related news: my vandals and Schneider stuff shipped!

9. 1234

1234 Senior member

Boris Bidjan Saberi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

i told you we are all nerds.

11. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Life says that too. You can't have a blue collar job without being labeled a loser unfortunately.

12. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

skipped like 6 pages of this conversation, but, i go to all my classes, but probably shouldn't. i barely pay any attention in class and learn almost primarily from reading the book/small review sessions/office hours. works well enough for me I guess. then again most of my classes are 3 exams and done sort of deals. i'm fucked in the real world though, going to end up in grad school for the rest of my life as i wait for the "job market to improve." not going to med school because i don't trust myself to take care of other people, so i'm destined to be a introverted lab rat. meh, i guess there are worse things.

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

that's nice and all, but when we're talking about law school, what we're talking about is taking $150k in loans. why would you do that if you aren't guaranteed a job on the other end? and if you want that guarantee you have to go a really top school, and to get in those schools you have to have a 3.7 and a 170 LSAT

14. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Obama wants StyleForum users to go back to school. Try this one weird trick a SuFu Mom discovered to see if you qualify!

15. dmash

dmash Senior member