• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I didn't say that's the hard work. I have mostly made all A's due to studying and putting in time. That part is a given.....my '3 rules' were just extra advice that gives you an extra advantage. I didn't mean do those three things and be lazy as hell in school.

Also getting to know how the professor thinks helps you anticipate which material to focus on and even helps anticipate questions for a test.

I had a professor literally call out the whole class about not going to his office hours and not getting to know him. He said its to the students advantage to know how i think. Worked well for me because i knew exactly how to write papers for him. Also he was a very smart guy so i enjoyed talking to him and ended up grabbing a beer with him at end of semester.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SF likes to make it seem like if you're not the top of the heap you're a failure.

thats actually a bad mentality, of course there are ppl at top and thats fine, but you shouldn't discourage others from going to law school with a non 4.0 GPA, thats how people develop a mentality that schools such as Stanford and Harvard are out of reach, they aren't, you need good grades yes, but not always a 4.0

my friend got into #1 pharmacy school without a 4.0, he has a good gpa, above 3.5 i believe but he got in and is at top of his class, took him applying 3x

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for what it's worth, I don't think you're a failure if you're not at the top of the heap. I just know several people who've finished law school within the past few years and have had really difficult times finding jobs. these friends have all questioned whether the huge amounts of time and money they spent on law school were worth it. I'd say about 50% of my friends with JDs actually work in law. in addition to this evidence, which is just anecdotal, there have been plenty of reports and news stories over the past few years talking about how hard it is for lawyers right now. with the slump in the economy, a lot of people couldn't find work they really wanted, so they went to law school to "ride out" the recession. what they did is just accumulate debt while they waited for the economy to get back in gear, and so many people had this idea that now there are lots of lawyers and still not a lot of jobs. so it's not a matter of whether someone will be a failure, it's a matter of how hard a time they'll have finding work (and paying off their student loans) once they get that JD

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a near-perfect SAT score and like a 3.8 out of high school and most of the really 'good' schools were out of reach; Stanford and Harvard are unobtainable for all but maybe 1% of high schoolers that don't have ultra-rich parents.

I'm really glad I went the liberal arts route in school and delayed going to grad school, though. I don't know why the **** some (most?) colleges expect 18 and 19-year-old kids to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives or even what they're interested in.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I had a near-perfect SAT score and like a 3.8 out of high school and most of the really 'good' schools were out of reach; Stanford and Harvard are unobtainable for all but maybe 1% of high schoolers that don't have ultra-rich parents.

I'm really glad I went the liberal arts route in school and delayed going to grad school, though. I don't know why the **** some (most?) colleges expect 18 and 19-year-old kids to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives or even what they're interested in.

but thats a financial issue not a grades issue, i had a friend not go to stanford because of the money, sucks but its not like he wasn't good enough, you probably were good to go to, just a cash issue...

BTW cant agree more on the 2nd part, 18yr olds know nothing

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3.8 is not high enough to get into top tier undergrad if you want a competitive major (barring major donations by parents/legacy/etc).

In RP related news: my vandals and Schneider stuff shipped!

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
skipped like 6 pages of this conversation, but, i go to all my classes, but probably shouldn't. i barely pay any attention in class and learn almost primarily from reading the book/small review sessions/office hours. works well enough for me I guess. then again most of my classes are 3 exams and done sort of deals. i'm fucked in the real world though, going to end up in grad school for the rest of my life as i wait for the "job market to improve." not going to med school because i don't trust myself to take care of other people, so i'm destined to be a introverted lab rat. meh, i guess there are worse things.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

SF likes to make it seem like if you're not the top of the heap you're a failure.

that's nice and all, but when we're talking about law school, what we're talking about is taking $150k in loans. why would you do that if you aren't guaranteed a job on the other end? and if you want that guarantee you have to go a really top school, and to get in those schools you have to have a 3.7 and a 170 LSAT

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Obama wants StyleForum users to go back to school. Try this one weird trick a SuFu Mom discovered to see if you qualify!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads