Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Lane

Lane Senior member

look, I know assuming things is everyones favorite thing to do with my posts, but this is the story, im not a lazy student or whatever. I work my ass off(24) hours while going to school fulltime , I sometimes come home and just pass out on my couch.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

2. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Been doing some research, and yea, gonna need a 170 approximately for a chance at the top 15. Think I'll be signing up for the full Powerscore course classes, supposed to be good. Will be 5+ books too. I guess if I'm not scoring well on practice, I'll switch my focus.

3. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

If you're not going into a field where the credentials are regulated/legal matters like medicine, law, engineering etc...you probably can skate by with a 3.x if you're otherwise occupied with cool stuff on the side. Lot of people I know working in tech went to pretty mediocre universities and still ended up at Google, Facebook, Amazon, or Valley-area startups based on the strength of their sideprojects/extracurricular work.

Recent Purchases: AE Shoe Trees

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

tl;dr but why do you feel like you're constantly attacked Lane that you have to divulge so much information? we all were just sharing personal anecdotes and i did not see anyone calling each other out specifically.

i think you make yourself a target for all the times you keep saying "people keep twisting my words"

fwiw i think you have anger problems and/or misinterpret what a lot of people say

just keep doing what you're doing and what makes you happy instead of feeling the need to guilt trip yourself into exposing the tiniest details.

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

kind of an attack

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Second thing to remember is that not only do you have to get into one of the Top 15 schools but you have to perform well (talking top 1/3rd for lower top 15, then moving closer to top half) - that's if you want a shot at a market paying law firm.

7. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

if you dont get 170, don't be discouraged. with time and effort, adding 5 - 10 to your score is definitely possible.

ordered last week:

[​IMG]

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

False. I went to a top uni with a 3.8, not near perfect SAT, non minority, non legacy, and fairly poor extracurriculars. Lucky... probably. Tier 1 is overrated.

And to the financial thing, a lot of these top schools are 100% need blind/need met.

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

but if you are comfortable and confident in your own abilities you shouldn't be bother from this. afterall this is just an open discussion board on fashion that stumbled upon academics & career choice over a few $1000 spent on textbooks. lol. fwiw i do not think it was intentional on Fok's part beyond the context of this whole nerd convention.

and to get back on topic:
    [​IMG]

10. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

11. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

You dudes who don't get to know your professors are missing out. They love when you talk to them, but you have to be at least interested in your subject matter, showing that you're willing to put some effort into it, blah blah blah. It's not ass-kissing, that's a bad way to look at it, it's literally just like any other form of socializing with people. You get so much out of it, from letters of recommendation (necessary if you want to do like..anything), internships, lab jobs, general networking, knowing what they're looking for in terms of coursework/exams, whatever.

Not to mention professors are some of the most interesting people out there, even grad students can be super cool too, and they know so much more than you about literally everything. Seriously. It's why Fuuma and LA Guy and other older members here get mad respect: younger dudes like to talk like they've got shit figured out....the first thing you should really figure out is that you don't have shit figured out. I've had lunch, coffee, profs have invited me for dinner, whatever, and I put in minimal effort into schoolwork, but just showing up to class and participating and showing that you got some sort of knowledge from point a to point b goes a long way.

I mean it's cool to just study off the book and not go to class and get a good GPA or whatever, I see why people do it, but Tween said it best: work smart not hard. Much easier to have a professor know you and know what they're looking for on exams...easy A. Translates well into anything else as well, just being able to talk to people, be interested in what they do, whatever, it's just plain ol' good.

12. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

my sister went to law school and totally regrets it, fwiw.

13. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

[​IMG]

Ann wool blazer and cotton shirt from the MyHabit sale for like, nothing. Didn't think I'd end up keeping either but they're both pretty awesome..

14. aether

aether Senior member

back to our regularly programmed over indulgence

[​IMG]

15. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

A lot of this is geek talk is utter BS. It might apply in fields like engineering and general academia, but not elsewhere. I barely had a 3.0 at CU and got a 6 figure job straight out of school at UBS, because I can speak 4 languages fluently and was a triple major. Thing is anyone can sit around and geek out every day. Not everyone has experience in their field, fluency in languages and other unquantifiable qualities like confidence and good looks. Yes it sounds shitty, but I know that in the realm of business and higher positions in banking if you're in shape and good looking you're more likely to get any job that requires you to interact with a lot of people. (which are usually higher paying jobs than data crunchers.) From the people I know in highschool, none of the top 5 students in my class have gotten high paying jobs. On the other hand the students that were the top 80-95% are doing much better because they had more complete lives. Some of the truly crap students I knew are doing extremely well because they had wealthy, well connected parents.