Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Messin' around with some new ideas, so I'm not sure if I'll keep 'em:
    <P>
    <P>
    Alt A Tee
    Silent Pant
    <P>
    <P>
    It was raining outside, so I had to do indoor pics (bad lighting)
    <P>
    <P>
    [​IMG]
    <P>
    <P>
    [​IMG]
    <P>
    <P>
    Purchased another pair in gray. Will probably only keep one.
    <P>
    <P>
    [​IMG]
    <P>
    <P>

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Aeneas

Aeneas Senior member

@cyc wid it

Where did you pick up the vandals?

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

I know we are already well on our way to moving past, but I figured I'd chime in on the school/life thing even if no one cares because I'm an asshole that way.

My 2cents is that if you are that badass then yes what stats you have, what school you go to and all those little pieces of paper that a lot of people seem to put a lot of stock in may not matter that much for you.

But for the rest of us who acknowledge the possibility that potentially we aren't that badass, a good place to hedge your bets is by maxing out your credentials. What do credentials actually mean? Nothing, except that you can jump through a certain set of hoops to get them + however much other people care (Employers/HR/People who decide your fate). All that stuff matters though. The latter clearly does by definition and the hoop-jumping is key because most jobs in the world are corporate/cookie-cutter in nature and that's what makes you a good employee.

See that series of hoops? Yeah jump through them and repeat to infinity. Congrats on the start of a beautiful career! Periodically we'll give you pay checks if you don't fuck up too bad.

No one really cares if you are the next Shakespeare or can argue some obscure philosophical points and even in tech (Which I work in) I've had to use the esoteric arts of my academic career.. next to never. Some things do require the truly brilliant, but most don't. Most jobs involve a lot of easy but repetitive tasks day in and day out. Maybe if you are able to wax poetic about Perelman's proof of the Poincare Conjecture that means that you can also fill out a TPS report, but also maybe not.

You'd be amazed at the basic things that the supposedly underemployed fail to display any competence at. It's pervasive enough that at some point interviewers start wondering if they really need someone that is "brilliant" or just someone who has a proven track record of excellent hoop jumping aka a degree.

Anyway, if this sounds really cynical and bullshit to you then maybe you are that badass and maybe you should just make a run for it and leave hoop jumping to the non-badass.

4. wurm

wurm Senior member

Sorry to further encourage off-topic discussion, but...

I think it would be pretty narrow-minded to say that there's only one way to truly exceed at school. I have a 3.98 (one A- in a fucking history class) at the University of Texas and have gotten it with multiple approaches to classes. For the most part I've neglected going to office hours and would just do the work and go to class. I have mostly small classes and always engage in discussion though. I really think going to office hours and stuff can pay off immensely though - beyond just the classroom. This semester I asked a professor about a study abroad semester over the summer that is run through our university and despite the fact that the deadline for applying had past, he got me in. This was just the start, though. He went on to encourage me to apply for scholarships - I got a $3000 one for the study abroad session and will likely receive another. He also nominated me for a departmental award I can put on my resume - felt bad when I couldn't show up to the ceremony to receive it. Needless to say I will be taking one of his classes next fall.

On topic:
    Schneider

[​IMG]

5. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

def not true. 3.8 is fine (we're talking about a 4.0 scale, yes?)... though i did go to a very famous magnet high school <_<;;

6. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Some of you guys need to stop defining success by being able to get a job (any job) and a salary.

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

the reason I went to the grad school I went to was because of one professor. he is really, really awesome and I loved him when I was an undergrad. now I'm working with him on my thesis and he's helping me from his work, and we were chatting today and I mentioned a paper I wrote for another class, and he said he'd like to see that paper because he might be able to get it published. hard work leads to connections and connections lead to success. I agree with abraxis fwiw.

8. Lane

Lane Senior member

im just gonna become a stray dog, but honestly holy shit theres so many smart people on this site.

9. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

There's also smart people off this site who make the smart people on this site look like morons.

10. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Very true, but its difficult to do much when you are unemployed and have student loans.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Instacopped on B&S.

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

Alll the asians and jews used to hog up professor's office hours when I was in skoo.

13. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

I'm not exactly sure who King Julien was talking to, but if it was talking about the law school people - I don't find anything wrong with warning people who plan on going to law school how bad the market it is or what the possibilities of getting the chance of a job are. After all, it is a ton of debt and might not be worth it for some people so they should think hard about going.

14. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

PM me, seriously. I've been obsessively compiling law school data the last few months and know way more about law school employment than I care to. PM me if you're seriously considering law school.

15. habitant

habitant Senior member

these are awful