Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

i figured you didn't actually get those sneaks. couldn't see you wanting those. the hat is awesome, but that price is just ridiculous. they crazy

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You are looking at this all wrong.

Professors, and "society" doesn't reward suck ups, it rewards initiative. Having both been a stellar student (I graduated 4th in my entire university class,) and holding a faculty position,) I've been on both sides of the aisle, and I can tell you that no professor likes bad student who is transparently a suck up. They like students who work hard (shown by mastery of the subject matter), show up to class, and show interest in the subject. It's a form of respect. I know many professors, at top colleges (by which I mean, top 10 in the US), who actually have 20% "Participation" points in smaller classes, which means that if you don't show up, even if you ace everything, you get a B, tops, because there is plenty that you can't learn from a textbook.

Ultimately, if you have a bad attitude, you are just wasting your money and hurting yourself. Professors often teach hundreds of students, per semester, year in, year out. They don't give a fuck if you skate with a 3.4 average (sounds like it is actually lower right now, right?) You'll just end up with a degree that will allow you to meet the minimum standards for pretty much any job out there except for "entrepreneur", but will not give you a let up anywhere. And forget about grad school or law school or med school, where letters of reference are mandatory and critical.

3. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Someone tell me how to conquer law school (and the LSATs) PLEASE

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

unless you can get into a great law school and you're confident you can do really well there, you're probably better off not even trying to conquer law school. job market for lawyers is really terrible at the moment and it will be for some time.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Or you can find a niche, or make one (that space law thing you talked about months before)

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

if your gpa is below a 3.8 don't bother applying

7. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

So many people sign up to be lawyers just because they think that's what they should be doing; it's generally kind of a shitty job and you're not really likely to do much better there than any other field that requires a master's degree, so unless you're really into law (or environmental protection, or prison reform, etc etc) I think it's a dumb idea to go to law school.

Edit: not saying this applies to you Reedo.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  8. reedobandito

Yea I'm aware...I intend to take the LSATs, see if I can score 165+, then decide if i want to apply. If I get below 160, I won't even bother

I have like a 3.77 :-/

9. bows1

bows1 Senior member

I was saying that the things you are saying are sucking up, is actually just working hard to be a better student. In this post you said thats its not working hard to sit in the front row, and go to class every day, and interact with your professor. I'm saying that they are working hard.

So I'm not sure what point I'm talking about you didn't say? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I even read through the whole conversation again to make sure I wasn't making things up. I just want to clarify

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

bring up the 3.77. especially in the last 2 years.

11. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

3.7 is fine. But if you can't get at least 170 don't bother.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

dude thats BS, i literally have 4 friends with gpas from 3.0 - 3.5 that are finishing law school and doing fine, and have jobs

13. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

with how law schools are right now, you shouldn't be shooting for 165+. you should be shooting for 170+, especially if you are not at a tier 1 university right now. i don't know which school you go to right now, but a 3.77 at a reputable university should meet the benchmark requirements for most of the law schools you apply to, so it's really about your lsats. top 15 law school or bust (ideally top 8).

14. dmash

dmash Senior member

I didn't say that's the hard work. I have mostly made all A's due to studying and putting in time. That part is a given.....my '3 rules' were just extra advice that gives you an extra advantage. I didn't mean do those three things and be lazy as hell in school.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  15. reedobandito

Yikes. I'm at a middling private school, so yea I'll prolly need that 170. Is this even possible?! I'm good at standardized tests and will be taking LSAT prep courses and reading texts over the summer