• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been wanting to get a smaller camera for a while but i don't want to sacrifice any SLR capabilities. as far as digital goes, that is. i picked up a Canonet ql17 GIII a little while ago from craigslist, its so cool

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Serious question and not a snide insult but what do you guys do with your baller cameras? Seems a lot of people on the forum have super dope/expensive cameras. Do you take classes and do art type stuff? Vacation photos? I was just wondering. I'd love a cool camera but just worry i wouldn't use it enough
Don't think that the Olympus EP-2 counts as a baller camera (although you can get baller lenses hehe), but in general I use it for vacation photos and street photography, occasionally I use the video recording for short films and some work. The Leica D-Lux is mainly for vacation photography too
smile.gif

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the least baller DSLR out there, and sometimes I feel like it's a lot to carry around, but putting a normal prime lens on a smaller DSLR makes for ease of carry/use and decent photos. Plus it's fun to **** around with manual settings.

The next thing I need to do is get a new computer b/c my comp is too old / slow to do any photo editing. I end up using the MS Windows editors and they suck.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Leica Dlux are good cameras. Basically the same as Panasonic lummox with a little better optics.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
cheers.gif
Film is awesome, a little bit of an expensive hobby some might say but you really put in a lot of thought into your shots. It's also fun developing/scanning yourself (I have access to a darkroom, don't know if I'd ever do it in my bathroom) and waiting for prints/developing to come back, not knowing if you fucked everything up, and if you did, you learn from it. This is more about photography in general, but when you take a ******* awesome picture you kind of just stand back and are like, holy ****, I took this. What medium format do you shoot with shah? I haven't gotten into medium format but would love to. Been wanting a bronica sq-a for a while, love waist level vf + 6x6 square crop
inlove.gif

An old ukranian beast, cabbage-scented Kiev 88, I also have a lubiTel2 not pictured but I don't even try using it. Fixed-lens minolta7s rangefinder and olympus om1(n) the last fully manual iteration.
wTSB4.jpg
I'd love to get the alpa12, MF and swappable digital back but it costs more than some cars lol
alpa12swa2.jpg

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah my story is basically the same as NN's with a few variations.

I got all my darkroom experience as a kid in my Dad's print shop strangely enough (to set up the plates for printing on an offset press). But my dad was also into photography before I was born / when I was little but didn't have much money, so I inherited a Canon AE-1 with a handful of lenses for my 35mm setup. Not at all the fanciest but perfect for me - learned a lot about the basics of photography using one of those, which I'm very grateful for, but at the same time I typically had some kind of tiny Canon SDxxx model to keep on me and get whatever shots I needed.

Ex had a Canon Rebel that was a lot of fun, but just too big to bum around town with, for me at least. When we split and I was stuck with my SD700 again, I opted for the X100 for all the same reasons NN said.

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
medium format all day. through highschool my photo teacher always gave me HP5 for free since i was the only one shooting MF on my 645 1000S. i miss being able to shoot it every day and process/print my own ****. would love to be able to put a darkroom in my house some day, i get film processed now but it isn't quite the same.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
An old ukranian beast, cabbage-scented Kiev 88, I also have a lubiTel2 not pictured but I don't even try using it. Fixed-lens minolta7s rangefinder and olympus om1(n) the last fully manual iteration.
wTSB4.jpg

I'd love to get the alpa12, MF and swappable digital back but it costs more than some cars lol
alpa12swa2.jpg

Dope rug

I just purchased a hi matic e from ebay a few days ago, am excited to use it. Otherwise I shoot with a minolta x700 and occasionally xe-7. Would love to get a nikon f1.

One of my closest friends is also persian and he just recently got his father's old xe-7 fixed this past christmas. It was dropped in the red sea in the 70s during vacation, everything got fucked, but now it's working like new. Also developed the roll of film that was still in it, and it was pretty incredible seeing those photos his dad took like 40 years ago...

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
Dope rug
bigstar[1].gif
it's actually just a little one in my bedroom which hi matic ? i like the 7s, aside from fixed lens. the olympus is surprisingly a lot more compact, though, which I guess is what they originally were going for. and the viewfinder is incredible and quite big

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
00RZhB-91061584.jpg

It's a little bigger and heavier than I was hoping, but still lighter than my x700. x700 is my go to though, excellent, very cheap and the viewfinder + meter is probably one of the best I've used.

lol was going through my photos from 3 years ago when I first got into film and wore aldens

vx223.jpg

bSA5H.jpg

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i never use the built-in meters, always have a little pocket one handy. while it may not be as convenient it is much more versatile and more reliable in my opinion. the rokkor lenses are pretty decent, especially at the prices these cameras go for. kiev
V4zZq.jpg
(through viewfinder with phone hehe)
5tH9p.jpg

minolta
i like the grainy darkness on this one
nh7Y2.jpg

I'll check what my handheld is tonight and let you know. It's just some old one but serves its purpose well

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been thinking of doing the switch to handheld. Which would you recommend? The meter on my x700 has been very good so far, so I haven't really looked into it yet

thatguymj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
2011-A2-Bomber-8.jpg

Dope, Scott. I've been seriously considering ordering one of those ever since I first saw it... I'm not really a leather jacket kinda guy and the only one I've owned was some cheesy one a family member brought me back from italy when I was in high school.
worship.gif

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a leather guy myself, but figured I'd give it a shot, gonna layer my red down shirt and thom oxfords underneath or my whites vest over it. should be a sick addition, and if not someone will be getting a marsupialed leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads