Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

i blame rfx45 for the current state of sf.

what, interesting?

2. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

what, interesting?

nah just look at his sig lol

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Serious question and not a snide insult but what do you guys do with your baller cameras? Seems a lot of people on the forum have super dope/expensive cameras. Do you take classes and do art type stuff? Vacation photos? I was just wondering. I'd love a cool camera but just worry i wouldn't use it enough

4. flyguy7

flyguy7 Senior member

^cosigned. I'm curious about dudes buying Fuji x100s for a grand too. Though I might do it also just to fit it

5. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Serious question and not a snide insult but what do you guys do with your baller cameras? Seems a lot of people on the forum have super dope/expensive cameras. Do you take classes and do art type stuff? Vacation photos? I was just wondering. I'd love a cool camera but just worry i wouldn't use it enough
    i don't have a baller camera but i do have a small collection of older film ones [​IMG] not always on me but i sometimes carry them around or go exploring on weekends. one medium format with plenty of lenses, one fixed-lens range finder, and anther 35mm with extra tele lens. i find this way I learn a lot more about photography because anyone can pick up a $1500 piece of equipment and generate stunning shots since they are very advanced machines at this point.

6. chomeo

chomeo Senior member

i can't say for others. but I don't think the Leica Dlux is baller. it's a good point and shoot that serves me for what i need - good photos in rather compact package.

7. Alexlude

Alexlude Senior member

picked up these pierre hardy's for 50% off thecorner.com (yoox), last one in stock, came in today. First purchase from here.. they wrap shit up bossy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Alex is your Noguchi real or fake?

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Where 2 kop magical color-changing candle?

10. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

You can get the Canon S95 for about $300 now. It's a p&s but has a manual mode. I mostly use it to take macro pictures of food.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

those PH look nice, good photos too

12. Alexlude

Alexlude Senior member

Thanks, yeah i'm happy with those PH's and for $255, couldnt resist. Mr. Moo, that Noguchi is real of course, Isamu just didnt sign the glass [​IMG] Iphone4 takes some nice pics in the right lighting [​IMG]

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

14. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

i don't have a baller camera but i do have a small collection of older film ones [​IMG]
    not always on me but i sometimes carry them around or go exploring on weekends.
    one medium format with plenty of lenses, one fixed-lens range finder, and anther 35mm with extra tele lens.
    i find this way I learn a lot more about photography because anyone can pick up a $1500 piece of equipment and generate stunning shots since they are very advanced machines at this point.

[​IMG]

Film is awesome, a little bit of an expensive hobby some might say but you really put in a lot of thought into your shots. It's also fun developing/scanning yourself (I have access to a darkroom, don't know if I'd ever do it in my bathroom) and waiting for prints/developing to come back, not knowing if you fucked everything up, and if you did, you learn from it. This is more about photography in general, but when you take a fucking awesome picture you kind of just stand back and are like, holy shit, I took this.

What medium format do you shoot with shah? I haven't gotten into medium format but would love to. Been wanting a bronica sq-a for a while, love waist level vf + 6x6 square crop [​IMG]

15. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I use my S90 for vacation and snapshot photos, and use my X100 to take cool pictures when I'm around town on the weekends. I use each of them about half and half, they both have their purpose. I know how to use a camera, I used to shoot a manual olympus, but I don't have the time/patience for film, and I would never carry around an DSLR because it's too bulky. X100 is a perfect medium, really what I want out of a camera, especially with all the controls built into it (no clue why there isn't a dial for ISO, though). It's expensive for a hobby, but I'm already getting more use out of it than I thought I would. Also durable as hell, so I don't mind throwing it in my briefcase/daybag. It really brought a lot of the technical joy I used to enjoy about photography (composing shots, thinking about movement and focus, whatever) and put it in a package I can use very conveniently. edit: here's some pictures I've taken in the last week if you're interested in what I shoot with this thing All of it's just for fun: places I go, things I eat, friends, etc., but I feel I can be more creative than with a point and shoot. All pictures are directly from the camera, no Photoshop other than some cropping of the one of the Chinese bun place catching fire I'm sure some photos dudes would find fault with my pictures, but it's fun enough for me to justify the price
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]