• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The secret is to button the top button first and work your way down, to maintain the A shape.

Also pop the collar and use the throat latch if available.

Doesn't that A-shape only work if you only button the top and not the rest?

If you button the others, why would it make a difference if you start buttoning at the top or elsewhere?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I think DB or asymmetric style coats look good when closed. But those long single-breasted coats, especially that button up all the way to the collar, is going to make you look like a bolt of cloth once you button them up.
If you are from an actual cold place, and you don't button up your jacket, at least up to where your scarf hits your chest, you will look like an icicle, which is likea bold of cloth, but a lot colder.

Coats that are more English in their origins and character, with sharply defined shoulders and darted waist, look just fine buttoned up. Something like a traditional Crombie coat.

Volume, and especially that egg shape, or an A shape, looks great on models, who are tall and thin with angular shoulders. Many, if not most. other people, look like a bag of potatoes, in voluminous coats.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The secret is to button the top button first and work your way down, to maintain the A shape.

Also pop the collar and use the throat latch if available.

Doesn't that A-shape only work if you only button the top and not the rest?

If you button the others, why would it make a difference if you start buttoning at the top or elsewhere?

View attachment 1281131

I believe this was a bit of wry humor.

But then, this is fashion, so this may have been actual advice.

Impracticality works if your family invests in real estate and you have a warm automobile waiting to take you places, or if you’re at Pitti. Otherwise, it’s cold outside and I’m getting older and things hurt more.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gra*led seems to have removed the feature that allowed you to create and save custom searches (a list of brands etc. you were interested in) and deleted existing saved searches. I can't see the reason for this at all or how it helps either buyers or sellers. It's now harder to find what I want and frankly I am not going to enter 30 brand names every time I use the site, in fact I might just bother at all if it's this unusable.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Gra*led seems to have removed the feature that allowed you to create and save custom searches (a list of brands etc. you were interested in) and deleted existing saved searches. I can't see the reason for this at all or how it helps either buyers or sellers. It's now harder to find what I want and frankly I am not going to enter 30 brand names every time I use the site, in fact I might just bother at all if it's this unusable.

Still there for me. They changed where they are a while back. You have to hit "Shop" on the main page, at the top, and then on the next page at the left mine are under "Saved Filters".

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still there for me. They changed where they are a while back. You have to hit "Shop" on the main page, at the top, and then on the next page at the left mine are under "Saved Filters".

That's where it was, but it is no longer there on mine... I wonder if it has to do with where I'm accessing from (Japan), but it was working last week... (and yes, I am signed in).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics