• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like Powell's is sorta a bit too much of a tourist destination these days. I mean, I'm glad that they have the business, it's hard being a bookseller in 2019, but Powells feels like a busy restaurant, or cafeteria. Part of the nice thing about bookstores is the ability to just peruse without other people getting into your space.

I feel ya, but it's still an incredible place to check out. The 'rare book room' is really cool, and there are still sections in the store where you can hide out and peruse/read/relax. Also, their store on SE Hawthorne is really laid back; it has more of a small local bookstore feel.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is SWD so:
Totokaelo
Nordstrom (the flagship so it's actually pretty good. Bottom floor has Lemaire & Dries)
Barneys (decent selection of Dries, RO etc),
Glasswing shop (denim and stuff)
Baby & Co is not what it used to be for Mens
Blue Owl (denim and things)
Division Road (boots and denim)
Bopping around Seattle on this rainy day as my hotel isn’t ready yet. Nordstrom flagship store is pretty nice. Different vibe from east coast Nordstrom’s. Grabbed an Eton shirt. Mario’s was first-rate. Talked Isaia with the salesman and had my first Margiela in my hands but passed on it. Neat maroon sweatshirt-sweater. I am thinking about a Navy Margiela sweatshirt, though...

Barneys New York closed with the windows papered over. ?

Would like to hit Totokaelo but may not be able to make it today. Squeeze playing tonight but I have an early morning conference to attend. Stupid adulthood.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, based on the Margiela stuff I handled today I pulled the trigger on this Navy sweatshirt that Baris in Turkey had listed on his eBay page. Have ordered from him in the past and his stuff is first rate.

E3D9E081-EE2A-4E08-BC4C-350DB769E4EB.jpeg

Last edited:

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1237408

this outfit looks like it loves saying "can you do mine next?" when it sees a neighbor washing his car.
Some of the mixed material blazers in that collection are pretty cool.

But i guess there’s only so many years of similar patchwork stuff you can do..

Imo junya still does the best patchwork jeans

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the 80s fashion on display in the Japanese show available on Netflix as The Naked Director. Loosely based on the real story of a dude who goes from encyclopedia salesman to Appreciation mogul, so we get a good mix of clothing--from salarymen to seedy Yakuza types to cops. And even as a Appreciation peddler, the protagonist likes to switch things up from suits to denim workwear (often depending on how much trouble he is with the law).

I think the show itself is a little disappointing, although I haven't gotten too far into the season.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Okay, based on the Margiela stuff I handled today I pulled the trigger on this Navy sweatshirt that Baris in Turkey had listed on his eBay page. Have ordered from him in the past and his stuff is first rate.

View attachment 1238101

Is it the version with elbow patches? Anyway I have a few and they're just sweatshirts, like the relaxed fit if you pick the right size...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Description says it's made of high twist cloth. Looking that up, it seems to be a feature of lightweight wool cloth (for example fresco, it seems?). Anyone have thoughts on whether it's also reasonable for a winter weight coat?

High twist means the yarn has an extra twist. Fibers are twisted together to make yarn, and when the fibers are given an extra twist, the yarn becomes a little stronger and denser. It also becomes a bit more wrinkle resistant.

I don't know why you would use it in a coat, but it doesn't necessarily mean the coat is lightweight. You can weave as much high twist yarn into fabric as you want. The reason why open weave fabrics use high twist yarn is because the stronger yarn allows them to get that weave without the thing falling apart (as the yarn is stronger).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it has dark elbow patches. My give it to my son if it’s more his speed.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@dieworkwear thanks. Yes that fabric is 19oz so heavy enough.

Just noticed De Bonne Facture will have a mac this season that looks fully Monsieur Hulot PlayTime approved. I’m sure at least twice as much $, but not in a hurry. Will want to have a look at it.

0A5313FB-CCBD-4058-B2DD-411C2B7000C5.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads