• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"It's too late for ethical fashion"

Thoughts?

I actually am debating starting an art business involving clothing but articles like this give me a lot of pause - perhaps carving out a small niche is fine, but equally, relying on unhealthy and unsustainable markets, demand and spontaneous buying.

Similarly I'm buying less and less and hope to keep that up.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm nosing around raglan sleeve coats and noticed this one at Cordings:

Description says it's made of high twist cloth. Looking that up, it seems to be a feature of lightweight wool cloth (for example fresco, it seems?). Anyone have thoughts on whether it's also reasonable for a winter weight coat?
Grenfell has a nice one this season.

24C6CA2F-E294-4349-9C17-9B06562B74A6.jpeg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thoughts?

I actually am debating starting an art business involving clothing but articles like this give me a lot of pause - perhaps carving out a small niche is fine, but equally, relying on unhealthy and unsustainable markets, demand and spontaneous buying.

Buy from smaller brands/makers that focus on making things right, paying people and staying in business (not just profit for public shareholders)

Buy second hand - not for everyone and maybe easier said than done given how difficult it can be to gauge condition and fit.

Recycle/sell/donate - for a second hand market to flourish, we need good merchandise on the supply side. Instead of not buying anything, buy what you really like and sell what you no longer wear. So you don't accumulate and you contribute to a healthy secondary market

cb200

Reaction score
Ethical actions taken at the consumer level are tiny drops in the bucket of action in the face of am apparel industry that operates in a global system of exploitation of people and the environment. Apparel isn't unique here. Shopping for a better world seems like a fantasy.

bamgrinus

Reaction score
Ethical actions taken at the consumer level are tiny drops in the bucket of action in the face of am apparel industry that operates in a global system of exploitation of people and the environment. Apparel isn't unique here. Shopping for a better world seems like a fantasy.
While that may be broadly true, I don't think it means that small, incremental change is without value. Things have to start somewhere to eventually reach a tipping point.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm are you saying that There Is No Ethical Consumption Under Capitalism?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thoughts?

A little bit of me thinks that a lot of this consumer-side stuff is small beans and the majority of this problem is about industry and government. If people want to affect change, they need to vote for politicians who will do something. And get involved in political organizations, such as advocacy ones.

Years ago, I interviewed someone who works at a popular eco-friendly clothing brand. They did their graduate studies on sustainability and work on the sustainability side of that company. Anyway, we were talking about this microfiber problem in oceans, where non-natural fibers come out in the wash and end up in waterways. The fibers, of course, don't decompose. They get eaten by fish and then end up in our food.

So we ran through what consumers can do -- buy these little wash bags that help catch fibers (although, fibers then just end up in landfills), buy vintage, buy natural, wash less, buy less, etc.

But according to him, this is all small beans. The real issue is how to get cities to install big filtering systems. And get washing machine manufacturers to change their production to help catch these fibers. Consumers aren't going to do enough to make a difference in this situation (you're not going to get everyone to buy those wash bags and make sure they use them every time they wash a fleece jacket).

I recently looked into cotton totes and read some government reports. On the issue of the sustainability of cotton totes vs. plastic bags -- even if you went down the "right path," however you define that, it will make a very small difference in the larger sustainability problem. I get the impression that a lot of this is on large industry and government regulation. (Although, never hurts to be environmentally conscious where you can).

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Consumer sentiment shapes regulations and government policies. So it does matter. We're seeing some of this in how various parties and politicians are slowly shifting their views on gun control based on a shifting public sentiment. Let's be real, we don't vote for politicians because they propose banning plastic bags or some specific policy like that. However, when public opinion shifts, representatives take notice and shift policies (to keep their jobs).

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.