• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

illiterate

Reaction score
Am i the only one that is starting to grow extremly bored by EG's (very) poor quality the 2 last seasons ?

Bought 2 deck pants in double cloth. navy and olive.
I barely worn them.They went through one cold wash and man... the color is just washing off.
Its not even fading at this point. its just plain white stains on the center of the thighs.

Im starting to see the same pattern with a heavy twill loiter jacket from 2 years ago.

I know EG's quality standards have downgraded, in every sense but I fear they've reached a step that I didnt expect them to be comfortable to go with.
I still love the design and the fit but lets face it, its becoming cheap
Odd. I’ve not noticed any glaring issues with the quality. Maybe I’m a biased fanboy though.

whereeaglesdare

Reaction score
I barely worn them.They went through one cold wash and man... the color is just washing off.
Its not even fading at this point. its just plain white stains on the center of the thighs.

Im starting to see the same pattern with a heavy twill loiter jacket from 2 years ago.
Double Cloth is notorious for its fast fading ability, due to the nature of the fabric. If you have a two-year-old twill loiter that is showing fading, then I would kinda expect that. Personally, it's one of the things that I love about the brand. How the garments wear down over time. They always look better beaten in.
If you truly believe that there is a fault in the fabric dye process, email Nepenthes. They will help you out if they can.

blackcheer

Reaction score
Am i the only one that is starting to grow extremly bored by EG's (very) poor quality the 2 last seasons ?

I know EG's quality standards have downgraded, in every sense but I fear they've reached a step that I didnt expect them to be comfortable to go with.
I still love the design and the fit but lets face it, its becoming cheap.
I think the double cloth is a reverse sateen weave.

Satin/sateen weaves are known for fading in the way that you've described. Either the warp or weft is more exposed than the other, so it's more susceptible to abrasion, etc., so wears moreso in blotchy chunks.

Twill is similar, just a bit less so, and its diagonal pattern tends to become more apparent with wear, as commonly seen on denim.

Here's a diagram I grabbed after a quick search:
1.jpg

Fabrics fade, especially cotton. It's known as patina. Your items will only looks better with wear imho.

I don't think EG's getting "cheap". Daiki recently talked about intentionally choosing fabrics that'll wear or fade in time, such as this last season's bull denim, and the cotton sheeting the season before that

Last edited:

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still love the design and the fit but lets face it, its becoming cheap.
I haven't seen that at all, although I am not thrilled with the price increase for patterns and fabrics that have been in the lineup for nearly 2 decades at this point. But that's a separate topic.

Phullyman

Reaction score
Is EG still making its shirts impossibly long?

Still long. When I first got into the brand I hated how long it was, but now I can't imagine wearing shirts that are "normal" length. I feel like they pair really well with the fuller pants and I love when the tails pop out from the bottom of the jacket.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Still long. When I first got into the brand I hated how long it was, but now I can't imagine wearing shirts that are "normal" length. I feel like they pair really well with the fuller pants and I love when the tails pop out from the bottom of the jacket.
second this - if you think the workshirt is too long the brand might just not be for you and that's ok

Reaction score
IMG_6274.jpg

watch cap
bliss
loiter
19th centiry shirt
fa pant
chucks

IMG_6296.jpg

watchcap
matsunaga glasses
shawl collar reversible coat
mohair hoodie
iac pant
dayton boots

IMG_6311.jpg

my friend called me the storm pope with the hat, kinda like that
knit beanie
storm coat
nano twill work shirt (not visible)
frizmworks m65 field pant
nb 990v6 (switched to stock danner mountain light iis later but snowing too hard for pic)

IMG_6388.jpg

inspired by the link to those overalls and the nicer weather
watchcap
lt parka
m43/2 shacket
same frizmwork pants as above
chucks
beams boy x eg x timex
chucks

IMG_6407.jpg

today, stolen labour fit; wearing workwear on your day off
watch cap
trucker jacket
work shirt
jersey mockneck
painter pant
paraboots

alain

Reaction score
I think the double cloth is a reverse sateen weave.

Satin/sateen weaves are known for fading in the way that you've described. Either the warp or weft is more exposed than the other, so it's more susceptible to abrasion, etc., so wears moreso in blotchy chunks.

Twill is similar, just a bit less so, and its diagonal pattern tends to become more apparent with wear, as commonly seen on denim.

Here's a diagram I grabbed after a quick search:
View attachment 2153335

Fabrics fade, especially cotton. It's known as patina. Your items will only looks better with wear imho.

I don't think EG's getting "cheap". Daiki recently talked about intentionally choosing fabrics that'll wear or fade in time, such as this last season's bull denim, and the cotton sheeting the season before that

of course
considering EG is mostly a "cotton-centered" line of clothes (i just realized that i actually wear EG in spring/summer) im expecting fading on certain pieces.
but sometimes the fading just doesnt look natural or pleasing to the eye.
(fading on my loiter and bedford jackets which i use to dress up with shirts and ties is not really enjoyable)

below is a picture of my olive deck pants after a wash
i dont understand how is that even possible ?

"anarchic" fading has now hit my navy pants...

Attachments

• 434263045_1655040088235878_8589900193779351173_n.jpg
    434263045_1655040088235878_8589900193779351173_n.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 321

blackcheer

Reaction score
of course
considering EG is mostly a "cotton-centered" line of clothes (i just realized that i actually wear EG in spring/summer) im expecting fading on certain pieces.
(fading on my loiter and bedford jackets which i use to dress up with shirts and ties is not really enjoyable)

This is exactly how my overalls started to fade

blackcheer

Reaction score
of course

In case you're wondering why your double cloth reverse sateen is fading that way:

Double cloth = thick = more pronounced folds = longer "crests" (tops of folds) = fabric all in a line susceptible to abrasion

Reverse sateen = lots of parallel threads visible over greater area (when compared to most other weaves) = more "delicate" (than most other weaves)

All this is kinda common knowledge for denimheads (not my thing), and they got names for all different kinds of fades, although it's related to twill and not satin/sateen. Pulled this article, in case you're not familiar:

If you don't want these kinda fades, double cloth reverse sateen is prob not right for you.

But to minimize fading, best to wash inside out, cold water, a light detergent and vinegar (helps with keeping colour), by hand, minimal agitation, hang dry. Most fades show up more pronounced after a wash. Or just continue to wear and wash as you have been, and your pants will become lighter and the patina more subtle and varied and the fades less distinctly visible.

Hopefully you're finding this info helpful; just trying to explain that what you're noting as an anomaly is in fact common and typical

apolloali

Reaction score
anyone got any experience w the carlyle wool poly blend pants? any good? insane that theyre poly or is it good?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On the topic of faded double cloth, here's one of my beat up pairs of EG overalls, and a stock photo from Nepenthes for comparison.

View attachment 2154013 View attachment 2154011
Fade can be the wear factor and it could also be the care factor as well. Be aware of the detergents that have bleaching agents ie. Oxy. Free and Clear is a good choice. Turn garments inside out for the wash. Agitation in the wash cycle can damage surface texture. Wash darks with darks. Do not use a dryer / air dry. This might be common knowledge to most but believe me, many of our customers do not have a clue as to the correct process.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry about this, but since this seems like the most active EG thread...
I'm a L pretty much across the board for EG. Some years back I picked up an (wool) Andover jacket in XL, which worked perfectly for me (I was not expecting that). I'm looking to get a linen Andover...anyone have any experience with the linen Andover, or Andovers in general? Does the sizing vary from season to season or should I stick with the Andover size that I know?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads