• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are you wearing? I hear this a lot. A lot of Americans on vacation treat it like it’s an Olympic sport of doing the most things. I mean, good on you if you want to do that, but it sounds exhausting. Maybe I’m just old and tired.

Americans definately do that, I'm more chill for sure. Just a Uniqlo T and Patagonia shorts with New Balances usually my go to.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of good looking easy wear clothes.

patagonia baggies is kinda a look in and of itself to be clear.

I mean to an extent we have gorpcore and techwear et al to thank for that, but it's always been in menswear - things like safari coats, gurkha shorts etc etc.
I've gone bougie and sorta do the Vollebak "unbreakable" thing, which is also very practical when you spend a decent amount of time with rocks and snaggy brush. but yeah, agreed.

I was more commenting on the commitment to maximum fun - 30K in a day. I mean, that is a contact sport vacation right there. I will wake up late, do a short workout just to not get overly rusty, shower, get a late breakfast, see maybe one thing, lunch, then see maybe one more thing, and then chill for most of the rest of the day.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gone bougie and sorta do the Vollebak "unbreakable" thing, which is also very practical when you spend a decent amount of time with rocks and snaggy brush. but yeah, agreed.

I was more commenting on the commitment to maximum fun - 30K in a day. I mean, that is a contact sport vacation right there. I will wake up late, do a short workout just to get overly rusty, shower, get a late breakfast, see maybe one thing, lunch, then see maybe one more thing, and then chill for most of the rest of the day.

yeah I try to just do one main thing in a day.

this is how I dressed for a recent trip.
IMG-20240418-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20240418-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20240418-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20240507-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20240507-WA0024.jpg

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was more commenting on the commitment to maximum fun - 30K in a day. I mean, that is a contact sport vacation right there. I will wake up late, do a short workout just to get overly rusty, shower, get a late breakfast, see maybe one thing, lunch, then see maybe one more thing, and then chill for most of the rest of the day.
I heard the vollebak ceo on blamo podcast and he had huge tech cult grifter vibes. Even as a sf member I was rolling my eyes like come in dude you make ******* clothes get over it.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to like some of the tech stuff but I just genuinely find classic cottons, linens, hemp etc more comfortable and frankly just as practical if not more.

What you want is big secure pockets, loose fit, and buttons that you can do up or undo. None of that needs 3 layer technology or laser cutting.

a heavy cotton drill is hard wearing and comfortable and looks good a little beaten in anyway.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the vollebak ceo on blamo podcast and he had huge tech cult grifter vibes. Even as a sf member I was rolling my eyes like come in dude you make ******* clothes get over it.
The copy is definitely over the top, but the clothing is good, and frankly, they do things that no one else does. I found out through a decade of working with tech dudes that a large fraction of them are true believers, which means that they can be about as fun to talk to as the evangelists that knock on your front door.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vole-bros came from the advertising world. The copy and promos they have spun out fits that. Kind of out the box for an apparel brand. But not quite Lot_2046 out the box, but I guess that wasn't really apparel only concept.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vole-bros came from the advertising world. The copy and promos they have spun out fits that. Kind of out the box for an apparel brand. But not quite Lot_2046 out the box, but I guess that wasn't really apparel only concept.
Lot "systems" has got a grand set of nuts for real. You need a pair of big brass ones to say "Yup, cotton socs.. But with rubberized non slip feature. $99. Yes, it's a bargain compared to the $50 cashmere ones from highly established socks companies."

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to like some of the tech stuff but I just genuinely find classic cottons, linens, hemp etc more comfortable and frankly just as practical if not more.

What you want is big secure pockets, loose fit, and buttons that you can do up or undo. None of that needs 3 layer technology or laser cutting.

a heavy cotton drill is hard wearing and comfortable and looks good a little beaten in anyway.
Yeah, I get that. I wear modified BJJ gi pants sized longer so that they fit closer to the ankle about half the time I'm not in them for practice, or in old retired ones for lounging around the house in. I terms of strength, there is not much that beats them. They are designed to withstand grown men gripping at them and twisting and pulling in opposite directions, with minimal seams. The jackets (and judo jackets) have very interesting construction, with no seam at the shoulders - a bit like 18th and 19th century Japanese firemen's jackets, but made stronger with modern technology like poly core thread and much tighter woven sashiko ori.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. I wear modified BJJ gi pants sized longer so that they fit closer to the ankle about half the time I'm not in them for practice, or in old retired ones for lounging around the house in. I terms of strength, there is not much that beats them. They are designed to withstand grown men gripping at them and twisting and pulling in opposite directions, with minimal seams. The jackets (and judo jackets) have very interesting construction, with no seam at the shoulders - a bit like 18th and 19th century Japanese firemen's jackets, but made stronger with modern technology like poly core thread and much tighter woven sashiko ori.

Right.

In some respects denim itself is a tech fabric compared to what people used to wear prior to that, at least in the Western history of clothing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right.

In some respects denim itself is a tech fabric compared to what people used to wear prior to that, at least in the Western history of clothing.
Yep. Part of tons of innovation in cotton and wool in the 20th century, with garbardines, solaros, mercelization (sp) all early "performance" fabrics.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Japan shopping my heart out with the low Yen. Everyone in the stores have been amazingly nice. I think it's funny though that they give me a once over look when I'm in the store. Like I'm not going to be living out of a suitcase and do 30k steps a day in 21oz denim and a Kapital Ring Coat and Aldens :-D
Where you shopping? I’m headed there Thursday.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pixelized