• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, the first pair are too trim for what I was looking for, and the Todd Snyder variation also looks trim based on the other pictures.

I may drop the need for a self-belt and just go for Bronson's versions. The leg opening is 9.5", but the leg still has a slight taper to it. If only they had them in navy.

1_fb10cb69-bf1e-4e44-8a51-1adb756457a7_600x.jpg
3_7974392b-c23e-4854-a7aa-1baee6de6474_600x.jpg
In navy:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you just want wide fit trousers plenty of the european high street brands like Arket, Olive Clothing, COS etc seem to offer a much nicer array of roomy trousers than their american counterparts.

With that said, Levis main line also has some decent stuff, and there's also the classics like Stan Ray or Dickies etc.
Quickly browsing the euro shops, this is more of what I'm looking for.

Stan Ray has a pair in navy. I already own a pair in this cut, so I may end up going for this one

100% these would have worked for what I want. They don't ship these to Canada though unfortunately.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sick, so basically the exact same thing as the Lemaire pants I was fawning over.

Makes sense considering it's Uniqlo U

The largest size they'll have is a 29. The actual waist of the pants would be 31 8/9" at the natural waist. Cutting it pretty close for me. I'll look into these when they come out.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol i got one of these the other day from paypal saying ive received over $600 in payments.

It's a bit weird, my paypal account is US but i no longer live there and my green card expires in a few months. The USA sucks with the whole "taxing your global income for your entire life" stance.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that's super rough, they already take sales tax on every transaction, and I only use it sporadically when I want to dump things. I wonder what my taxes are going to look like at the end of the year since I think I sold like 3k work of stuff or whatever.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh apparently the IRS now assesses self-employed taxes on eBay sales above $600.

View attachment 1836518

The State of California requires that corporations file with it if a company makes over $800 of revenues from California sources. So, a single pair of boots? A few pairs of sneakers? Half of a handbag? It is one of the most aggressive tax entities in the world.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read a little bit, and it seems that you are only required to pay taxes on anything after whatever expenses you had to obtain and sell the item. Since everything I have sold has been at a loss, I just got to show that the item was worth more than I earned on it. Although tax law scares me so we shall see.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read a little bit, and it seems that you are only required to pay taxes on anything after whatever expenses you had to obtain and sell the item. Since everything I have sold has been at a loss, I just got to show that the item was worth more than I earned on it. Although tax law scares me so we shall see.

Dig up dem receipts.

It would be so much easier to just show them a letter from my therapist explaining the high instance of mercurial spending in my closet.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The State of California requires that corporations file with it if a company makes over $800 of revenues from California sources. So, a single pair of boots? A few pairs of sneakers? Half of a handbag? It is one of the most aggressive tax entities in the world.

before 2018 nexus included physical presence which in practice meant a lot of internet sales went untaxed . thanks to states' campaign to force the SC's hand , physical presence is no longer a hurdle for states hence aggro california , which looks to collect anytime anything is shipped there regardless of the sender's jurisdiction .

coincidentally i'd left cali in 2018 and i was reasonably and profitably active on the bay prior to that ... the reporting requirements were frankly a PITA but that's business , BUT my current home state doesn't require any reporting beyond typical business taxes , and i'm not particularly interested in collecting taxes on behalf of states that i don't really do business in ( or live in ! ) just because the goalposts got moved . sadly the ebay protocols don't allow exclusion of individual states ( except weirdly for ak/hi ) , but i'd really rather not ship to cali .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

before 2018 nexus included physical presence which in practice meant a lot of internet sales went untaxed . thanks to states' campaign to force the SC's hand , physical presence is no longer a hurdle for states hence aggro california , which looks to collect anytime anything is shipped there regardless of the sender's jurisdiction .

coincidentally i'd left cali in 2018 and i was reasonably and profitably active on the bay prior to that ... the reporting requirements were frankly a PITA but that's business , BUT my current home state doesn't require any reporting beyond typical business taxes , and i'm not particularly interested in collecting taxes on behalf of states that i don't really do business in ( or live in ! ) just because the goalposts got moved . sadly the ebay protocols don't allow exclusion of individual states ( except weirdly for ak/hi ) , but i'd really rather not ship to cali .
I have always liked the irony in the breakdown of the SCOTUS in the decision.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always liked the irony in the breakdown of the SCOTUS in the decision.

also the irony of allowing e-comerce to murder brick n mortar and then turn around and say well it wouldn't be fair for states to rely on brick n mortar receipts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads