• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford $7000 to spend on something that's not quite a jacket or a shirt, then I don't know why you care what anyone else thinks about your choices.

You can probably get one made to your exact specifications by someone like Luxire for less than half that price. Give the rest to a charity for the homeless.

Damn it, Orvis does a suede overshirt for $300, albeit in tobacco, that looks every bit as nice...

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my lord people

Over Your Head GIFs | Tenor

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very much this. My wife is in that 40-something generation of educated women, who were really the first to reject the system completely in this way. Of her peer group in architecture, urban design and planning, about a quarter are living overseas, most permanently, doing a variety of things, and of the rest who stayed in Japan, a quarter are either independent practicing architects in Japan, another quarter are in academia or arts & cultural organizing, so probably only a quarter ended up in the traditional route of working for a company in a position way below their level of talent and ability until they got married and stopped working.

My wife, who is a published translator of both academic and commercial books into Japanese, these days, says that although she misses many things regularly, especially the food, the onsen, and the reliable and convenient public transport, she never wants to work in Japan again. Because things have not really got much better for women.

Yeah me and my wife are a lot younger and although we love the idea of going back to live in Japan, she personally wouldn't again until she is working freelance for a foreign company or sets up her own company doing UI/UX. I personally wish we could be doing several months in Chicago, leave to Mexico when it gets cold, and live in Japan during the spring. Ahhh dreamssss.

Well, I'm happy, but in my defence people also buy Visvim... it's kind of hard to tell what people think it a serious purchase possibility here.

Visvim is Madewell for rich boys into John Mayer. (Put's on Visvim Zermatts)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What kind of person subscribes to Monocle magazine? They have a 24 hour radio going on… they must have a strong readership. But I've never met a person in real life who buys the magazine and isn't a designer of some kind.

People with high Soft Power scores

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of person subscribes to Monocle magazine? They have a 24 hour radio going on… they must have a strong readership. But I've never met a person in real life who buys the magazine and isn't a designer of some kind.

I used to buy a copy once a year at the airport, which was usually their special annual rating of global cities, which I then used as an example of how ridiculous rating systems for cities are in the Global Cities course that I teach.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I haven't read or listened to the podcast in twelve years, but it used to be a manual for effete Capitalism. So, wealthy jet-setting know-it-alls?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have had a subscription to Monocle for quite some time. I enjoy certain travel, style, independent & artisan brand coverage as well as a retail and political perspective other than US (and especially NYC based) publications. I do find some of the city, business and country stories to be an "eye roll" when the editor concludes the piece with his incredible insights and solutions of how to improve and fix everything.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Re: Japan, My wife is also the one that has a real hard hate and love relationship with it. She loves the conveniences and the lifestyle outside of work ie drinking at our buddies izakaya, enjoying the outdoors, family etc. However she hates working there with a fiery passion. She has even hated dealing with Japanese bosses in American companies she worked in. As a women, she always has to push herself further just to get the same recognition as her male colleagues plus the salary is pretty stagnant.

I've dealt with some of the Japanese work bs before, but usually I'm a training manager role for foreign hotels so it's not too bad since I usually get the control until we reach an impasse and nothing gets done.
Very much this. My wife is in that 40-something generation of educated women, who were really the first to reject the system completely in this way. Of her peer group in architecture, urban design and planning, about a quarter are living overseas, most permanently, doing a variety of things, and of the rest who stayed in Japan, a quarter are either independent practicing architects in Japan, another quarter are in academia or arts & cultural organizing, so probably only a quarter ended up in the traditional route of working for a company in a position way below their level of talent and ability until they got married and stopped working.

My wife, who is a published translator of both academic and commercial books into Japanese, these days, says that although she misses many things regularly, especially the food, the onsen, and the reliable and convenient public transport, she never wants to work in Japan again. Because things have not really got much better for women.
Yeah me and my wife are a lot younger and although we love the idea of going back to live in Japan, she personally wouldn't again until she is working freelance for a foreign company or sets up her own company doing UI/UX. I personally wish we could be doing several months in Chicago, leave to Mexico when it gets cold, and live in Japan during the spring. Ahhh dreamssss.

Interesting stuff, thank you for all of the perspectives. It was definitely a concern and part of the calculus when deciding to make the move or not, and with her interview process stretching over six months we had lots of time to work through those things. Long calls with female family members that are currently working or have worked in Japan, and recognizing that she's in a pretty unique position at this particular job. It's a European company but she's working for the Japan division of it, and all of the upper management here (and some in Europe) are women, which isn't an accident.

And working in fashion/design, there is a lot of talk between her and her contemporaries about the toxic environments they've spent their whole careers in (no matter what country or city) and how they're now in the position to make a difference and stop perpetuating that. So that gives some hope for the future, it will just take this current vanguard to do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads