• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford $7000 to spend on something that's not quite a jacket or a shirt, then I don't know why you care what anyone else thinks about your choices.

You can probably get one made to your exact specifications by someone like Luxire for less than half that price. Give the rest to a charity for the homeless.

Damn it, Orvis does a suede overshirt for $300, albeit in tobacco, that looks every bit as nice...

peachfuzzmcgee

Reaction score
Very much this. My wife is in that 40-something generation of educated women, who were really the first to reject the system completely in this way. Of her peer group in architecture, urban design and planning, about a quarter are living overseas, most permanently, doing a variety of things, and of the rest who stayed in Japan, a quarter are either independent practicing architects in Japan, another quarter are in academia or arts & cultural organizing, so probably only a quarter ended up in the traditional route of working for a company in a position way below their level of talent and ability until they got married and stopped working.

My wife, who is a published translator of both academic and commercial books into Japanese, these days, says that although she misses many things regularly, especially the food, the onsen, and the reliable and convenient public transport, she never wants to work in Japan again. Because things have not really got much better for women.
Yeah me and my wife are a lot younger and although we love the idea of going back to live in Japan, she personally wouldn't again until she is working freelance for a foreign company or sets up her own company doing UI/UX. I personally wish we could be doing several months in Chicago, leave to Mexico when it gets cold, and live in Japan during the spring. Ahhh dreamssss.

Well, I'm happy, but in my defence people also buy Visvim... it's kind of hard to tell what people think it a serious purchase possibility here.
Visvim is Madewell for rich boys into John Mayer. (Put's on Visvim Zermatts)

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
What kind of person subscribes to Monocle magazine? They have a 24 hour radio going on… they must have a strong readership. But I've never met a person in real life who buys the magazine and isn't a designer of some kind.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of person subscribes to Monocle magazine? They have a 24 hour radio going on… they must have a strong readership. But I've never met a person in real life who buys the magazine and isn't a designer of some kind.
I used to buy a copy once a year at the airport, which was usually their special annual rating of global cities, which I then used as an example of how ridiculous rating systems for cities are in the Global Cities course that I teach.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Reaction score
I haven't read or listened to the podcast in twelve years, but it used to be a manual for effete Capitalism. So, wealthy jet-setting know-it-alls?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have had a subscription to Monocle for quite some time. I enjoy certain travel, style, independent & artisan brand coverage as well as a retail and political perspective other than US (and especially NYC based) publications. I do find some of the city, business and country stories to be an "eye roll" when the editor concludes the piece with his incredible insights and solutions of how to improve and fix everything.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members