• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
There's a lot wrong with Japan but it's also an endlessly fascinating place to live.

Kamakura is great - nice beaches and trail running around there, and a very hip place right now. And commutable. Difficult to find a place though. I don't really know the Tsukiji area very well, although the Hamarikyu garden was one of the first places I was taken in Tokyo. When we're in Japan we live in a very unfashionable area of North-east Tokyo (Nippori). My wife used to live in a collective house there (one of the very few cohousing projects in Japan), and we are still supporting members, which allows us to have first dibs on any appartments that might be available when we are back.

But now my son has finished elementary school there, it's unlikely we'll be back quite so often. When we had to leave because of the pandemic we knew that would also be the end of the nice arrangement we had. For quite a while we were doing 3 months in Tokyo, 9 months in Ontario, with the occasional full year in Japan, but it's proved much more difficult (well, imposible) to arrange to spend a term every year in junior high. So we won't be back as much for the next 5 or 6 years. Maybe every other year until my son has finished school, but then we hope we can persuade him to have a gap year there before university. It's my Japanese wife who isn't so excited about spending lots of time in Japan: Japan generally doesn't looks so great if you are a woman who has grown up there.

We can both totally recommend Japanese kindergarten and elementary schooling for giving children a really good grounding in how to be a cooperative, socially-minded young human. Unfortunately, the school system gets harsher as you progress into the higher levels...
All interesting, thank you for sharing! I do love it down here; it has been a wonderful place to just be Dad and go on new little adventures every day, but we came here to do the Tokyo thing so that’s still the plan.

sounds like a really cool setup you had! We’re planning to do the inverse - nine months here for the school year, and my boy and I will go back stateside for summers. We aren’t quite sure how long we’ll be here, so our plan is to do international school if at all possible. That way we (presumably) have some more flexibility no matter how long we end up staying

2020 really showed us you can’t assume what the next year will look like, and 2021 did the same in our case. So who knows what’s next, but I’ll just do what I can

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

peachfuzzmcgee

Reaction score
Re: Japan, My wife is also the one that has a real hard hate and love relationship with it. She loves the conveniences and the lifestyle outside of work ie drinking at our buddies izakaya, enjoying the outdoors, family etc. However she hates working there with a fiery passion. She has even hated dealing with Japanese bosses in American companies she worked in. As a women, she always has to push herself further just to get the same recognition as her male colleagues plus the salary is pretty stagnant.

I've dealt with some of the Japanese work bs before, but usually I'm a training manager role for foreign hotels so it's not too bad since I usually get the control until we reach an impasse and nothing gets done.

hendrix

Ill-proportioned
Reaction score
Hasn't there been an active top-down push for change re: work environment and women in Japan?

peachfuzzmcgee

Reaction score
Hasn't there been an active top-down push for change re: work environment and women in Japan?
I don't know about other peoples experience, but it's mostly a show. I had to sit down directors etc about how they talk/touch women many times before. I know the government is trying to do something but those Nippon Kaigi fools aren't going to do much with actual teeth. Most of the happiest women I know either marry out, or go the entrepreneur route and open their own business/freelance.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about other peoples experience, but it's mostly a show. I had to sit down directors etc about how they talk/touch women many times before. I know the government is trying to do something but those Nippon Kaigi fools aren't going to do much with actual teeth. Most of the happiest women I know either marry out, or go the entrepreneur route and open their own business/freelance.
Very much this. My wife is in that 40-something generation of educated women, who were really the first to reject the system completely in this way. Of her peer group in architecture, urban design and planning, about a quarter are living overseas, most permanently, doing a variety of things, and of the rest who stayed in Japan, a quarter are either independent practicing architects in Japan, another quarter are in academia or arts & cultural organizing, so probably only a quarter ended up in the traditional route of working for a company in a position way below their level of talent and ability until they got married and stopped working.

My wife, who is a published translator of both academic and commercial books into Japanese, these days, says that although she misses many things regularly, especially the food, the onsen, and the reliable and convenient public transport, she never wants to work in Japan again. Because things have not really got much better for women.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Can SF help me pick between which $7000 suede overshirt to buy? Like do you think the Brunello has that extra $45 worth?

I was in a similar predicament a few months ago. I couldn't decide, so ultimately went with this Tom Ford version as a budget friendly alternative.

1637947864827.png

Featured Sponsor

Pocket square on a coat: yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 13 21.7%