• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

GT-R

Reaction score
On another note, this thread I stumbled upon really got me thinking about the place of the suit.

loser reddit fashion thread

Specifically, the idea that the workplace has ruined the suit, which I also think true.

You know what I'm reminded of? In my country, around 16 years old, depending on the school you attend, you're forced to wear a suit everyday. Just imagine a litany of school children, of whom many are poor, being forced to wear a suit everyday.

Sooo, in comes the fast-fashion brands like next and moss bros. to meet that demand for cheap suiting.
Admittedly, the suits can fit very well, and they accommodate sizes that many ready-to-wear brands won't. The 34 inches in the chest, and the like. But at the price points they're pushing, it comes un-canvassed, with polyester, and all those sickly materials in abundance.

I remember doing a test.
I wore a 64% polyester + 35% cotton shirt on a Monday
then a 100% cotton shirt on a Tuesday - these were both dress shirts by the way.
I would walk to my destination in relatively cold weather ~14c weather.
And with the poly-cotton shirt, I would end my journey hot and sweaty every time, while the cotton shirt left me feeling normal.
(For context, these poly-cotton shirts came standard with suits and school uniforms)

For fashion people, this is not a revelation but at the time it was like science in action.

The point I'm making is that these ****** materials are just one direct cause for why the suit is not respected by normies.
People get the illusion that the ****** throwaway suit they wore that time when they were 17 is how all suits look and feel.
Then they're thrust into the workplace, forced to wear the same drab, uncomfortable, crappy, suit everyday, and this disdain for the suit is created.
It effectively becomes a new kind of fucked up keynesian workwear.

Will the boys in chinos, brogues, and gilets, save the suit?
Will we BAN the suit from the workplace, and from its ashes build a world anew?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A52F4C31-FAE2-4EDE-ADBB-A76153D0742A.jpeg

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do we have a thread about interesting/strange/old school details in garments?
Can be functional or purely decorative. I'm thinking mostly about vintage (adjacent) stuff but doesn't have to be.

I'm pretty sure something like that already exists in here somewhere but I can't find anything rn...

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do we have a thread about interesting/strange/old school details in garments?
Can be functional or purely decorative. I'm thinking mostly about vintage (adjacent) stuff but doesn't have to be.

I'm pretty sure something like that already exists in here somewhere but I can't find anything rn...
I’d definitely be interested in something like this.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
RFT: I did something my 2010 SF / SuFu self would have loved to be able to do: bid on and buy an item on Y!J auctions with no elaborate proxy system :revolve:

In true form though, it was still a pain down to the final step of entering CC info, so there's that. But I did it.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RFT: I did something my 2010 SF / SuFu self would have loved to be able to do: bid on and buy an item on Y!J auctions with no elaborate proxy system :revolve:

In true form though, it was still a pain down to the final step of entering CC info, so there's that. But I did it.

What sorcery is this

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads