• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

slvth

Reaction score
Looking for a sturdy, relaxed zip hoody with a two way zipper. Been waiting for Lady White to do it but it's been two years and I'm not going to wait another fall/winter. House of Blanks and Camber work but neither have two-way zips and thermal / waffle lining is too heavy duty.

Any recs?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lean toward food, museums, monuments, parks – that sort of thing. Also interested in getting a hotel in an area that maybe doesn't suck.

Second the recommendation to stay in the South End. Very walkable, easy to/from airport, good access to T lines, lots of good food choices. Close to the Boston Common.

Museums: the Gardner for sure. Wonderful space. MFA if you like Impressionists and American painters (Sargent/Homer/Whistler et al) and an enormous collection of Japanese art (largest in world outside Japan). ICA can be fun depending on what they're showing, and an easy walk from the Rose Kennedy Greenway. The Harvard Fogg Art Museum if you're in Cambridge.

Food: so many choices. Lots in/around the South End. Someone mentioned Union Square in Somerville (a place, not a restaurant) and there's also Inman Square in Cambridge, but neither is very convenient to get to unless you drive/Lyft/Uber. Neptune Oyster or James Hook for lobster rolls.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Neptune when I was in Boston a few years ago and thought the lobster rolls were kind of average :confused:

slvth

Reaction score
@slvth I got a 3sixteen one as a gift years ago in college that I really loved. I also think Engineered Garments/Workaday miiiight have one?
Thanks, I'll give 3sixteen a looksee! I had a thermal lined EG Workaday hoodie for years that I wore through but when I asked at Nepenthes a few weeks ago the associate said they had no plans on producing anything like that again that wasn't the standard thermal.

Jackman, but would need to size up 1 for relaxed.
First I've heard of these guys - thanks! As a lanky scandi guy I've never had luck with tops in japanese sizing but I'll check measurements.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give 3sixteen a looksee! I had a thermal lined EG Workaday hoodie for years that I wore through but when I asked at Nepenthes a few weeks ago the associate said they had no plans on producing anything like that again that wasn't the standard thermal.

First I've heard of these guys - thanks! As a lanky scandi guy I've never had luck with tops in japanese sizing but I'll check measurements.
I believe (I could very well be wrong) that those thermal-lined EG Workaday hoodies were produced by Camber Sportswear

slvth

Reaction score
@malcb33 Thanks, but Camber isn't producing theirs with the double zip and I'm looking for something closer to middle-weight and not thermal lined. Otherwise I'd just go back to the EG hoodie.

milosh

Reaction score
I think I destroyed my black Geller Type 3 jeans which I really liked. Perhaps a stupid question but, recommendations for something in a similar cut?

Racing Green

Reaction score
Looking for a sturdy, relaxed zip hoody with a two way zipper. Been waiting for Lady White to do it but it's been two years and I'm not going to wait another fall/winter. House of Blanks and Camber work but neither have two-way zips and thermal / waffle lining is too heavy duty.

Any recs?

I just got this one from Outstanding & Co. Very heavy, relaxed and double zip. Love it,

1631196812187.png

Attachments

• 1631196794498.png
    1631196794498.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 43

slvth

Reaction score
I just got this one from Outstanding & Co. Very heavy, relaxed and double zip. Love it,

Damn this would be perfect if it came in black... Thanks!

DeafIdiotGod

Reaction score
Posted about this in the very low traffic Our Legacy thread but will probably get more eyes on it here. I quite like their Piraya Jacket which can be matched with either their Borrowed Chino or Chino 22 in the same fabric to make a something that isn't really a suit but the fabric makes it look more refined than a matching set from Engineered Garments or Universal Works e.g.

I feel like I've seen non-workwear "pseudo-suits" like this in movies before and I'm trying to find other examples of it but not getting anywhere. Does anyone know anywhere else doing anything like this? Or better yet, a name that can be put to it.

ac106

Reaction score
A few more:

Rose Kennedy Greenway is cool, right adjacent to downtown (which is more touristy, but "touristy" sometimes gets a bad rap, you know?). It used to be a highway that was moved underground and the park was built on top. You can walk along it to the water; it connects the North End ("Little Italy") with the waterfront via downtown. Unique views of the relatively modest downtown skyline.

It's been a while and SO much has changed even in the few years since I've been gone, but when I went back to visit I made sure to hit up Darwin's for a breakfast sandwhich and Lord Hobo and Trina's Starlite Lounge for food/drinks. The latter two are not necessarily special per se, but sentimental and kind of dark/dingey, which is what I like in a bar. Trina's used to have a cool industry brunch on Mondays if you're there then (and they're still doing it). Sadly, People's Republik closed, which was a kitschy, communist-styled bar (think: lots of Che posters) on Mass Ave with a big fake bomb inside. These recs are all in Cambridge, which is basically part of the city for all intents and purposes (i.e. accessible by the T).

I'd avoid Southie unless you're 22-25, and the Seaport has been developed considerably but seems super meh to me.

Oh oh oh, one more combo: Sportello is great fancier Italian in the older part of the Seaport, and it's directly above Drink, which is a no-standing-room speakeasy that may not be operating during COVID, I dunno. It used to be hard to get into Drink but if you told your waiter at Sportello, they'd get a spot for you and take you down the back way through the kitchen.

If there's no Sox game, you can easily pop into Bleacher Bar in Fenway which is quite literally next to the Green Monster and you get a view of the outfield.

Drink has become a 20 something **** packed abomination compared to what it was when it opened.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerafenupdate