• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you’d written California you’d be describing @cyc wid it

Pretty much. I’m trying to move some pieces now though (buy my stuff!) and stopped buying heavy knits… progress? Maybe a bad time to mention that I preordered a Valstar shearling :redface:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you describe the body type that works and the ones that don't?

I think it works better on thin guys with the right shoulders. Basically, shoulders that aren't too sloped and are significantly wider than their hips.

If your shoulders are sloped, narrow, very forward, or if you have a pear-shaped body, I think those unstructured jackets look ... not great. Not that clothing has to be flattering, but then you have to have something about you that makes the outfit look cool. When a jacket is shorter, it can accentuate the hips and make you look heavier than you are. A shorter jacket also typically means a higher buttoning point, which accentuates the gut. And unstructured jackets are going to reveal your shoulders like a shirt, which doesn't look good on every build.

Conversely, if you have a classic tailored jacket, padding can help build up the shoulder. You can also use padding and canvassing to widen the chest and shoulder line, which makes the waist look smaller by comparison. And a longer jacket will cover your hips better, helping to create a longer line and hide some weight.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I think it works better on thin guys with the right shoulders. Basically, shoulders that aren't too sloped and are significantly wider than their hips.

If your shoulders are sloped, narrow, very forward, or if you have a pear-shaped body, I think those unstructured jackets look ... not great. Not that clothing has to be flattering, but then you have to have something about you that makes the outfit look cool. When a jacket is shorter, it can accentuate the hips and make you look heavier than you are. A shorter jacket also typically means a higher buttoning point, which accentuates the gut. And unstructured jackets are going to reveal your shoulders like a shirt, which doesn't look good on every build.

Conversely, if you have a classic tailored jacket, padding can help build up the shoulder. You can also use padding and canvassing to widen the chest and shoulder line, which makes the waist look smaller by comparison. And a longer jacket will cover your hips better, helping to create a longer line and hide some weight.
I am not a fan of the "classic" unstructured and short fit on my build: sloping shoulders, long torso.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Dune trailer makes me just as worried as the first one: the cast look excellent, but it's so generic visually, and the dialogue is dreadful - no gravity and all Marvel-style snappy one-liners that don't belong in this universe. Plus it's just not weird. Lynch at least understood and recognised (and tried to portray, however he was limited by both budget and studio) the weirdness of Dune, but this seems really mundane in comparison.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’m going to post this here because the CM side frankly scares me. I’m cleaning out my closet (hence the horrible mess) and wanted to get an idea if this suit is too slim and/or worth saving. It’s generally comfortable and doesn’t feel restrictive. I’m not looking to get redlined here, just general opinions. My partner said she doesn’t think so, but wanted to get an idea from impartial perspectives. I could possibly take some better pictures if these aren’t great for determining this.

C724C235-93DE-478B-BA58-BA8FE0D8016A.jpeg
39F4ECBB-2452-43CE-8897-F62341E88566.jpeg

E7BCCC61-CB91-4249-8DF7-EBDA264B2B59.jpeg

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would definitely keep it. The pockets look a little flared but seems great. Why are you considering gettting rid of it?

it was a relic from the #menswear era and my view of how things “should fit” is a bit different now, mainly because i wore a lot of things that were too slim or tight. This always seemed ok but I just need a bit of reassurance that while slim, it’s not skin tight or unflattering.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like others said I think its up to you.
Would you wear it? Is it comfortable? Do you like it?
It's most definitely a slim fit but that doesn't mean an automatic throw away.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like others said I think its up to you.
Would you wear it? Is it comfortable? Do you like it?
It's most definitely a slim fit but that doesn't mean an automatic throw away.

I really like it, which is why I was trying to make sure it isn’t like awkwardly slim. I think it’s comfortable but like I said, coming from a time when I definitely wore things too tight I just needed some confirmation that it’s the good slim, not the bad slim.

jaaz16

Reaction score
Even if it’s slimmer than your current style, it looks objectively good, and you may like a slimmer profile down the line in a couple years. Regardless, like others have said, there’s no reason to get rid of it right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads