• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don’t get it either, but that usually doesn’t bother me to just not understand or care for a fashion movement. Why it really bothers me (not really, but in a SF sense) in this case is that it seems to be all a nonclever wink about how ugly, silly, expensive and anti-aesthetic it is. Somehow that is supposed to be a high concept style choice. It’s the ultimate Emperor Has No Clothes scenario.

I think it's the insincerity of it all that drives me nuts. I don't think Demna actually thinks this is a good look, and I assume all the buyers are buying this because it's the "it" thing.

Whatever anyone says about any other designer, at least they're putting out clothes they think are good. No way anyone can convince me that people working at Balenciaga are putting out $550 "I LOVE CATS" t-shirts and $1,100 alien hoodies in a non-ironic way.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's the insincerity of it all that drives me nuts. I don't think Demna actually thinks this is a good look, and I assume all the buyers are buying this because it's the "it" thing.

Whatever anyone says about any other designer, at least they're putting out clothes they think are good. No way anyone can convince me that people working at Balenciaga are putting out $550 "I LOVE CATS" t-shirts and $1,100 alien hoodies in a non-ironic way.

Still, it's hard to complain about being able to totally mail it in and still make a pile of cash. They can dry their creative tears with Benjamins.

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe they haven’t done a sweatshirt in the Cricut Live/Laugh/Love font yet but I bet they will and will charge $800 for it
790DEEE5-B770-4791-A212-2A855D4B6DFA.png

jaaz16

Reaction score
A family member was briefly an SA/manager at one of Balenciaga's NY locations, right around the time Demma took over and the Triple S debuted. He said it was a real pain ********** because older clients who had been purchasing for decades would come in and he'd have nothing for them. Obviously they're still making tons of money with a different target market but it was just awkward from a sales perspective.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
I think Balenciaga and I picture a highly paid tech worker perusing through the Balenciaga section of Nordstrom in her black Steve Madden heels on her lunch break. She's 31 years old and recently married, but she still wants to be perceived as young and hip, despite the serious demeanor she must maintain at work due to her recent promotion. On the weekends, she wears Lululemon and Balenciaga shoes as she carries her essentials in her Louis Vuitton monogram bag into her yoga class. She non-ironically has a poster in her bathroom that says "Not all that glitters is gold" hung on her pink accent wall, which is part of her collection of cliché posters, including "And they lived happily ever after" written in cursive around the frame of her wedding picture. She is the Balenciaga woman.

MythReindeer

Reaction score
I think about this tweet all the time

I know this is an old tired point, but ....

... this season's Balenciaga:

1. $550 "Your Logo Here" t-shirt
2. $350 cat key fob
3. $1,100 alien hoodie
4. $3,000 oversized bomber jacket
5. $1,000 oversized ASICs ass looking sneakers

The clothes are so stupid. So dumb. So horrifically ugly. And it all keeps going for reasons I don't understand.

... 1995's finest mall establishments:

1. Hot Topic
2. that kiosk that sells all the keychains, over by the corndog place (EDIT: it's the Keyosk)
3. Hot Topic
4. Dillard's
5. Hibbett Sports

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. Hot Topic
2. that kiosk that sells all the keychains, over by the corndog place (EDIT: it's the Keyosk)
3. Hot Topic
4. Dillard's
5. Hibbett Sports

Yes, but have you ever handled any pieces from Hot Topic/ Dillard's/ Hibbet Sports/ the kiosk next to the corndog concession stand in real life?

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sounds like 2005, 1995 would be more like:

1. spencer’s gifts
2. structure
3. the sharper image
4. wet seal
5. border’s books & music
6. kb toys
7. aeropostale
8. tower records
9. claire’s
10. radioshack

needs more THE WALL and Sam Goody. Also gamestop so i can buy a players guide to starfox 64 and a sweet 4th edition pack of MAGIC: the gathering

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads