• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

ultraExtendo

Reaction score
Do school rankings matter?
Depends on the career choice/level of study, but it definitely matters if you want to work somewhere like wall street. If you went to a target school like Harvard, Yale, Wharton, Standford, etc. your life is made much easier. It's not impossible if you didn't, but it's that extra bit harder. For most other fields I think school rankings matter a lot less.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It 100% matters for a lot of disciplines, not just finance, law, or medical. Think things like machine learning...

Scramm

Reaction score
Do school rankings matter?
In my experience (software engineer), while the industry likes to say it doesn't matter, it does matter. I'm sure it doesn't matter as much as other industries such as finance, but I do notice that in NYC, an awful lot of people working/interning at top firms seem to come from similarly ranked schools. I recall browsing through the latest class of engineering interns for my company and marveling at how they all came from top universities - the ones who didn't went to top universities for grad school.

(edit: I admit also that my company may have a bias in this regard since it's a hedge fund and thus likely to have a finance-style bias in this regard. But in my personal experience talking with people from FAANG, it seems at least in NYC a significant majority come from name brand universities.)

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only school I respect is Public School

im-99903.jpeg

rokor

Reaction score
Nothing is really appealing other than short skirts which today are a given. Maybe it's just me.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Late 70's socal beach culture was a pretty specific look that probably doesn't have that much to do with the 70's style we were talking about earlier in the thread. Van's, Op shorts, Hang Ten, huaraches, wallabees, mexican panchos (drug rugs), mexican cowhican style cardigans, mexican blankets covering the torn upholstery of your old car. More Dogtown and Z Boys.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only school I respect is Public School
I'm thinking back to my early years growing up in the Deep South. School integration was at hand and I was put in public school to experience it. I still remember the first day with blacks on once side and whites on the other. It was announced that school would not start until something changed. I recall saying "To hell with this" and proceeded to get up and walk to he other side. I sat down and black girl reached over and ran her fingers over my arm. I looked askance and she announced "I just wanted to see if the white rubbed off". I doubled over laughing.

That young girl -- we must have been about 13 -- is today a doctor and we are still friends.

Last edited:

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late 70's socal beach culture was a pretty specific look that probably doesn't have that much to do with the 70's style we were talking about earlier in the thread.

Speaking of beach culture and fashion... one of the co-founders of the surf brand Gotcha recently passed away. From reading now of his memorials and some of his past escapades, he had a full life charging.

He'd written a bit about brands and business in the, he'd probably hate the term, "action sports" world. Good perspective from someone who dealt with the industry and unforutnaly, I think, there's only a small bit of that that made it out into the public.

With the dominance of Streetwear one could certainly draw a line back to the 70's - 80's beach and skate brands. That was a big influence outside or possibly in parallel to more traditional mens wear. Before Patagonia was telling people not to buy their jacket Gotcha was telling people they shouldn't even surf.
8568f530e392c47c58df199bbee79038.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads