• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

blacklight

Reaction score
Before them was the so called "urban brands" and OG Black streetwear brands like PNB Nation and 10 Deep that is still around. Scott who runs 10 Deep is a quiet dude, but has been in business about 20 years.

I never knew that about 10 Deep. They had a really strong presence on NYC streets + with rappers at the start of the decade but it felt like they kind of fell out of favor along with the most of the streetwear brands that weren't Supreme. I remember coveting some of their pieces for a very long time.

Was just about to comment about often wanting to support a number of these brands despite many of them not being close to my personal style and I think that speaks to the success of having clear values and being OK with them not being for everybody. KJR of Pyer Moss is from the area where I grew up, and walking past Kings Theater two days ago on my way to be a part of post-protest cleanup efforts I felt a real pride knowing that he forced the entire fashion cognoscenti to take a trip all the way out there for his SS20 show – to which tickets were free and available to the public. Definitely worth a watch for anyone interested:

On a separate note, @gdl203 have you heard anything from Abasi Rosborough recently? They've been quiet across media for a while now and I'm hoping they haven't fallen on hard times or anything.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure where they stand right now. For SS20, they had pivoted to a direct-to-consumer, made-to-order model where they would not produce inventory but only take custom orders for different styles. They were both really into using digital 3D imaging/CAD to create patterns and garments. But haven't really heard from either Greg or Abdul in a few months now

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. That V.A. social media backlash is weird. People seem to be just as happy to tear him down now as they were to hold him up before. Being a celebrity seems like a nightmare.

You don't think it has to do with an element of the emperor having no clothes? When sports fans complain about NBA max salary guys being over paid, is it about the top 5 guys in the league, or the 20-25th supermax guys they complain about? The hypebeast/streetwear thing is subject to a lot of questions about markups, margin and value, so I am not surprised he is getting his doors blown off when there is a bit of Eat the Rich zeitgeist - people think he made a lot of money, easily, and he seems to be rounding up to the nearest dollar on his bill for a tip.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Virgil clarified that he's donated $20,500 to bail funds. The $50 was just part of a matching fund that was going viral at the time on social media. He put in $50 because that's the matching fund.

"I'm going to keep it two Virgils with you," however, is now one of my favorite phrases.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I don't enjoy his design all that much, nor the insane hype surrounding him, he actually is a very nice guy, although my interactions was limited to chit chat.

It was funny though, he came late to an event he was going to DJ at my workplace and then sucked for 30 minutes(including playing the same song another dj had just played) then left I think haha. To be fair though the other two DJs were wizards on the deck and came from Tokyo. No match.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I talked to him back in the day when he was just getting going. To see where he was and where he's come to now is absolutely mind-blowing. I tip my hat to him. As a Black man who came from Hip Hop and see him helm Louis Vuitton is a big inspiration for a lot of Black creatives and youth.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just saw my first "standing on bathroom vanity for pic" photo in a long time. Guess which Stylefarmer thread it was from?

blacklight

Reaction score
I talked to him back in the day when he was just getting going. To see where he was and where he's come to now is absolutely mind-blowing. I tip my hat to him. As a Black man who came from Hip Hop and see him helm Louis Vuitton is a big inspiration for a lot of Black creatives and youth.

This is true but Virgil is also a notorious design thief who has ripped off the work of dozens of young people who've come to him for advice or work. Even going back as far as Pyrex (the precursor to Off-White) those infamous $600 flannel shirts were just screenprints on the back of blanks from Ralph Lauren Rugby that had the tags removed. I get that it's how the industry works but the myth of what he's supposed to be is far removed from what one would hope his ascendancy to the top of LV would mean for young folks. I understand that LV is probably a different story but I don't imagine there's much stopping him from bringing kids under his wing at Off-White if he really cared to.

Attachments

• ripoff1.jpeg
    ripoff1.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 38
  • ripoff2.jpeg
    ripoff2.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 62
  • ripoff3.jpeg
    ripoff3.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need posted another thing and got a lot of **** even though they are donating to the Richmond bail fund. It's mostly from one guy but still.

The left will always be divided whole the right solidify further. I don't want to talk about politics so instead, this convo got me finally considering buying some Nicholas Daley. I really love the ss20 stuff and sales are somehow already upon us. Isn't it usually at the end of summer? Ssense already got their sales up.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is true but Virgil is also a notorious design thief who has ripped off the work of dozens of young people who've come to him for advice or work. Even going back as far as Pyrex (the precursor to Off-White) those infamous $600 flannel shirts were just screenprints on the back of blanks from Ralph Lauren Rugby that had the tags removed. I get that it's how the industry works but the myth of what he's supposed to be is far removed from what one would hope his ascendancy to the top of LV would mean for young folks. I understand that LV is probably a different story but I don't imagine there's much stopping him from bringing kids under his wing at Off-White if he really cared to.
They all steal man. It's rife in the industry and always has been. I know vintage spots and private spots in NYC where all the fashion companies buy stuff to knock off. My ex was a designer and they used to do global trips around the world to get "inspired", bringing back tons of **** to knock off. That's the game.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need posted another thing and got a lot of **** even though they are donating to the Richmond bail fund. It's mostly from one guy but still.

The left will always be divided whole the right solidify further. I don't want to talk about politics so instead, this convo got me finally considering buying some Nicholas Daley. I really love the ss20 stuff and sales are somehow already upon us. Isn't it usually at the end of summer? Ssense already got their sales up.

Really cool interview with him on the Corporate Lunch pod. Check it out if you like the human as well as the clothes

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think i'm going to try cotton/linen-sweater-as-shirt in earnest this spring

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads