• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't follow Private White closely to know why their announcing a sale is vomit worthy. But I would agree their clothing alone is vomit inducing.
They've been making a big stink about Radical Transparency and the intrinsic value of their products; about never discounting. And here they are, first out of the gates, going on sale on June 3rd. They've been serving bullshit to gullible customers for a couple years now. I just don't like their tricks, that's all. The clothes are fine.

cb200

Reaction score
No one had global pandemic on their calendar. If they did global protests was likely an oversight. I'm giving people a bit of leeway right now. Shits fucked up for the industry. Cash flow or die.

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one had global pandemic on their calendar. If they did global protests was likely an oversight. I'm giving people a bit of leeway right now. Shits fucked up for the industry. Cash flow or die.
They also had a winter sale (right around boxing day) and an Easter sale. So who knows...

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

whorishconsumer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Fuuma apropos of nothing, have you read Houellebecq? I’m about halfway through Serotonin. The writing is excellent but it’s not nearly as transgressive as I expected, given his reputation.
I have read The Elementary Particles/Atomised and enjoyed it overall. If I understand the concern with him it's where the opinions of his characters start to show themselves as his own opinions, and in isolation from any of his other positions, namely the deeply flawed nature of human beings. At least that's what I think he was talking about.

WhyUEarly

Reaction score
My issue with Private White V.C. is that their designs are now so boring. Not sure if that has anything to do with Nick Ashley not being Creative Director anymore. I have a few pieces from them ~5,6 years ago, like their Twin Track Jacket which had more edge like good Belstaff. Their designs used to be cool, now they look like a generic private label default design.

It definitely bothered me that they moved to direct-to-consumer yet retail prices were basically unchanged, and the only thing that changed was that their designs were bland. The level of make and lifetime warranty is impeccable, but at their price point, I could get very well-made garments with interesting designs from other brands. They just never really justified their new DTC prices to me, was it just lower volumes due to no wholesaling? Simply put, Private White V.C. feels uncompetitive.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
They've been making a big stink about Radical Transparency and the intrinsic value of their products; about never discounting. And here they are, first out of the gates, going on sale on June 3rd. They've been serving bullshit to gullible customers for a couple years now. I just don't like their tricks, that's all. The clothes are fine.

I 100% agree with the stance expressed in that instagram post, so it's a shame they weren't able or willing to stick to it.

As someone solidly on one end of the size spectrum, I'm often in the position of having to buy at retail or risk my size selling out before it ever gets discounted. It sucks paying full price if I know I'm going to see all the common sizes heavily discounted at some point. I've had to decide to just not worry about what deals others may get and make the decision on whether something is worth it to me at retail or not. It's a nice concept, if somewhat idealized, to take that out of the equation.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
There is always some wise guy.
Dude honestly, next time you're in a Chinatown just go they got some of the best cheap ones and you need all the help you can get, my toes look more elegant than this.

btw: we pretty much carry the same pocketknife (as keychain in my case).

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
My issue with Private White V.C. is that their designs are now so boring. Not sure if that has anything to do with Nick Ashley not being Creative Director anymore. I have a few pieces from them ~5,6 years ago, like their Twin Track Jacket which had more edge like good Belstaff. Their designs used to be cool, now they look like a generic private label default design.

It definitely bothered me that they moved to direct-to-consumer yet retail prices were basically unchanged, and the only thing that changed was that their designs were bland. The level of make and lifetime warranty is impeccable, but at their price point, I could get very well-made garments with interesting designs from other brands. They just never really justified their new DTC prices to me, was it just lower volumes due to no wholesaling? Simply put, Private White V.C. feels uncompetitive.
I have one of their older Twin Track’s too and it’s a great jacket, but I wouldn’t buy anything from them now because of their rebrand and uninspired designs. Their copy now sounds like an instagram brand.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.