• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fur is just a byproduct of an animal just like meat. Stop eating meat if you want to ban fur.

I'm with you...I can understand vegans taking issue it but have never understood why non-vegans/non-vegetarians seem to take special exception to fur. In my mind you're either ok with killing animals or you're not.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with you...I can understand vegans taking issue it but have never understood why non-vegans/non-vegetarians seem to take special exception to fur. In my mind you're either ok with killing animals or you're not.

Because naturally if they love meat it's ok but unaffordable expensive stuffs should be banned.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is fur farmed? Is so, shutting down the trade will reduce farming, which will reduce the population of the animals in question. The same way that banning beef would reduce population of cows. The opposite is true with for animals, like most fish.

Well yeah, reducing enslaved populations reduces overall populations...but that's a good thing.

Lowering the overall population by reducing those being bred into existence for the express purpose of exploitation is still saving and protecting animals from abuse.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yeah, reducing enslaved populations reduces overall populations...but that's a good thing.

Lowering the overall population by reducing those being bred into existence for the express purpose of exploitation is still saving and protecting animals from abuse.
I'm sorry, but it's hard to take you seriously at all when you talk about animals as an "enslaved population". Don't @ me.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool to see Umit Benan back in retailers again.
This whole DTC approach seems to have failed for a lot If designers. It seems like simply not being at a dozen retailers means they aren’t visible to consumers and people forget about it so any lower prices don’t really matter since nobody is buying it.
Outlier is the only DTC brand I can really think of that’s a succes.

https://www.matchesfashion.com/us/mens/designers/umit-benan

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool to see Umit Benan back in retailers again.
This whole DTC approach seems to have failed for a lot If designers. It seems like simply not being at a dozen retailers means they aren’t visible to consumers and people forget about it so any lower prices don’t really matter since nobody is buying it.
Outlier is the only DTC brand I can really think of that’s a succes.

https://www.matchesfashion.com/us/mens/designers/umit-benan
DTC works, but you need to sink a ton of money into marketing, and that's a whole different game. You basically need someone who is competent at social media, forums, PR, both push and pull advertising, remarketing, email drip campaigns, and more, that is either a full time employee or a pretty great contractor. I mean, brands like Allbirds are mostly experts at this, The actual product is necessary but hardly sufficient. Adjacency marketing, which is only one thing retailers provide their vendors, is worth something, and you are going to pay for marketing one way or the other. I could be making a kickass leather jacket in my basement, but if I don't have an apparatus to let people know that not only am I making a jacket, but that it's pretty awesome, it's never going to make me a cent.

I know that guys like @gdl203 have commented on things like this. I think that pure plays (online only) are a natural evolution of retailing, but it's certainly not the only approach, and probably not the best appproach for most designers, many of whom are excellent at making stuff, and terrible at communications.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rabbits are delicious
They are not a favorite of mine. I'll admit that, seafood aside (like every single Cantonese person, probably), that I am rather boring in my choice of land animal proteins - I mostly stick to cows, pigs, and chickens and ducks and smaller fowl like squab. I do enjoy the occasional frogs' legs, but c'mon, that's basically very tender chicken.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not a favorite of mine. I'll admit that, seafood aside (like every single Cantonese person, probably), that I am rather boring in my choice of land animal proteins - I mostly stick to cows, pigs, and chickens and ducks and smaller fowl like squab. I do enjoy the occasional frogs' legs, but c'mon, that's basically very tender chicken.
Next time you are in Paris try lievre a la royale somewhere classical... it will cost for the proper version though.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of lapin à la moutarde (rabbit braised in Dijon mustard sauce)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time you are in Paris try lievre a la royale somewhere classical... it will cost for the proper version though.
Where is good? I live in the middle of nowhere these days. When I lived in a major metropolis, eating well when I travelled was not a priority, but now I try to get some good meals in. Obviously, there are limits, but I figure that if I've paid thousands for airfare, not to mention local transport, and thousands for acommodations, that I'm not going to skimp on the one thing that all Chinese love - food.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads