• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of lapin à la moutarde (rabbit braised in Dijon mustard sauce)
So, real question. How do you find all of the short keys for accents. When I write in French or Spanish, I just leave out the accents, since I don't know any of the shortcuts. Do you have to program them yourselves, or are there are few easy ones. I mean, for French, it's just basically four accents, and in spanish, even fewer, right? Also, the Norwegian extra letters. Anyone?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, real question. How do you find all of the short keys for accents. When I write in French or Spanish, I just leave out the accents, since I don't know any of the shortcuts. Do you have to program them yourselves, or are there are few easy ones. I mean, for French, it's just basically four accents, and in spanish, even fewer, right? Also, the Norwegian extra letters. Anyone?
Just muscle memory - I've used the "shortcuts" (Alt-0231 to 235) so many times in my life that it just comes with the flow. In windows, you can pull charmap in a few seconds if you need to (also give you the keystrokes there)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just muscle memory - I've used the "shortcuts" (Alt-0231 to 235) so many times in my life that it just comes with the flow. In windows, you can pull charmap in a few seconds if you need to (also give you the keystrokes there)
Yeah, I'd rather do it this way than via the charmap, which is not in the flow of typing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For é, the most common letter, just Google Beyoncé and copy the é.

These tips, I give to you, for fréé.
Thanks. Also, I'll learn more about Beyoncé, so it's a win-win situation. These efficiencies are what makes you a successful internet minor niche celebrity. So thank you.

bigwhale

Reaction score

If you're on a Mac it's very simple. Just do hold down the letter that you want an accent for and you'll get a pop up with the letter along with every accent available. Works the same on any iOS device.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're on a Mac it's very simple. Just do hold down the letter that you want an accent for and you'll get a pop up with the letter along with every accent available. Works the same on any iOS device.
I'm on a PC, but use an IPhone, so cool.

I'm so clumsy on the phone though. Will probably scroll through it 10 times before I get fed up and use whatever comes up.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

giphy.gif

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is good? I live in the middle of nowhere these days. When I lived in a major metropolis, eating well when I travelled was not a priority, but now I try to get some good meals in. Obviously, there are limits, but I figure that if I've paid thousands for airfare, not to mention local transport, and thousands for acommodations, that I'm not going to skimp on the one thing that all Chinese love - food.
Aside from the obvious answer - the likes of Bristol, the Ambassadeurs - I would find in your network a real Parisian gourmet, the kind that is obsessive about it, and ask them. The dish takes days to prepare properly, at least a day and a half, and requires excellent technique. Maybe ask the owner at Chez ma vieille whose style was close enough for me, he will know who is the king.

Rabbit is an intense and nutty meat, good with sage also. I think if you like Chinese food, you might like offal; if you like offal, you'll like rabbit; if you like rabbit, you will like rabbit cooked in its blood and liver :p

And of course pair it with at 20-30yo Madiran.

@Clouseau where would you get your lievre a la royale?

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not a favorite of mine. I'll admit that, seafood aside (like every single Cantonese person, probably), that I am rather boring in my choice of land animal proteins - I mostly stick to cows, pigs, and chickens and ducks and smaller fowl like squab. I do enjoy the occasional frogs' legs, but c'mon, that's basically very tender chicken.
But isn’t rabbit like rather stringy chicken then

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious answer - the likes of Bristol, the Ambassadeurs - I would find in your network a real Parisian gourmet, the kind that is obsessive about it, and ask them. The dish takes days to prepare properly, at least a day and a half, and requires excellent technique. Maybe ask the owner at Chez ma vieille whose style was close enough for me, he will know who is the king.

Rabbit is an intense and nutty meat, good with sage also. I think if you like Chinese food, you might like offal; if you like offal, you'll like rabbit; if you like rabbit, you will like rabbit cooked in its blood and liver :p

And of course pair it with at 20-30yo Madiran.

@Clouseau where would you get your lievre a la royale?

The 37 best restaurants where to eat the best "Lièvre à la Royale" in Paris (all with Michelin Stars)
https://www.atabula.com/2017/11/08/lievre-a-la-royale-restaurants-paris/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads