• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have a rec for a black side zip with a substantial sole?

These would be ideal
tumblr_inline_pgh44ktWey1qfex1b_500.jpg
Rick Owens (are those in your pic?
Viberg (completely different)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yea, I think so. @dieworkwear can you please confirm?

Hm, I don't think they are. But that photo looks like it's from Totokaelo, so you can ask them.

Margiela has two main side zips. There's the pre-Galliano one, which has a thin sole and low heel. Then there's the Campus boot, which has a Cuban heel, thicker sole, slightly squarer toe, and more prominent toe box

tumblr_inline_oq2ut3HU0k1qhaans_540.jpg

The ones in the photo you posted don't have a Cuban heel, the toe box is a bit dropped, and the last looks a touch sleeker.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm, I don't think they are. But that photo looks like it's from Totokaelo, so you can ask them.

Margiela has two main side zips. There's the pre-Galliano one, which has a thin sole and low heel. Then there's the Campus boot, which has a Cuban heel, thicker sole, slightly squarer toe, and more prominent toe box

View attachment 1129626

The ones in the photo you posted don't have a Cuban heel, the toe box is a bit dropped, and the last looks a touch sleeker.

They're from your blog: https://dieworkwear.com/post/167603824354/the-under-appreciated-black-boots

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about this? I just ask because there's a Japanese thing called 'Doria' which is exactly this. It was apparently a version of some already hybrid Italian-French thing introduced in the 1920s in Tokyo. Mind you, it's perfectly possibly that such east-west hybrids developed independently in different parts of Asia and had differnet routes in. There are loads of these in Japanese home / 'family restaurant' cooking, many of which came in with the Americans after the war, but a surprising number of which are actually the product of earlier attempts to introduce western cooking into Japan, especially during the liberal 1920s before fascism. These include hamburg steak, Hayashi Rice, Japanese curry (which came to Japan frm India via the British Navy), the weird and brilliant variations on spaghetti, and my favourite guilty pleasure, 'Neapolitan' pasta, which is basically made with ketchup...

I'm not sure about this, it was received knowledge that could very well be inaccurate, but Japan was a lot more fascinated by and open to the West at the beginning of the 20th, and also had more influences. Hong Kong was a British protectorate, so it's unlikely that there would have been strong direct French influences. That said, the dish may very well have indirect French roots. I mean, it eats like an Escoffier dish seen through English and American eyes and transmitted to Asian cooks. When I first went to China, in the 80s, before the current growth, I was served some bizarre things like fried eyes (fried on high head, of course), that were dosed in soy sauce, just like thick chinese rice noodles might be.

There are other things that point to the dish being more British in origin than French, like the fact that the same cafes invariably serves Hong Kong style milk tea, rather than coffee.(a later addition), but I certainly wouldn't place a large bet on the exact origins of the dish.

Its heritage is certainly much less clear than say, that numerous spam dishes that are in found in Hawaiian and Hong Kong cafe restaurants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads