• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The place looks great and I don't mind an eclectic menu but isn't Ramen north of USD 15 a bit steep? Love to find places that offers an interesting take on Ramen yet still keep it somewhat reasonable. Any suggestions?

I would trade ramen for pho in a second. Ramen is alright if you're hungover, Pho I can eat for breakfast everyday

edit: hahaha what the hell is an "artisanal noodle" and why is it $17. Eating out in the states is flippin' expensive

Can't really get it anywhere for cheaper, unless you want "Japanese Pork Soup with Noodles"

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The place looks great and I don't mind an eclectic menu but isn't Ramen north of USD 15 a bit steep? Love to find places that offers an interesting take on Ramen yet still keep it somewhat reasonable. Any suggestions?

It'd be hard to find a good bowl of ramen under 15 here. If you are looking for interesting ramen in nyc, try Niche.

the weird and brilliant variations on spaghetti, and my favourite guilty pleasure, 'Neapolitan' pasta, which is basically made with ketchup...

my mom used to make this with american cheese on top. i still cook it for myself once in a while :hide:

I’ll take good ramen over pho any day.

i love all noodles and my favorite is jjajyangmyun (korean-chinese version)

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'd be hard to find a good bowl of ramen under 15 here. If you are looking for interesting ramen in nyc, try Niche.

This is all so weird. Ramen is cheap, quick street food. There's an amazing place down near where we live when we're in Tokyo: the noodles are 'artisinal' (if what is meant by that is hand-made in the shop), the stock is phenomenal and the bowls are huge. Prices start at ¥500, that's $4.50 - some variations are a bit more expensive - and you get refills of ramen for ¥250. This is by no means the cheapest ramen in Tokyo, but it's better than anything you'd pay $15 for in NYC at 1/3 of the price (and this is in supposedly super-expensive Tokyo, remember).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprise! Nation's food is cheaper and better nearer to where he nation actually is and not 5,000 miles away!

Snark aside, that wasn't the point. And, if your logic holds, why is sushi generally cheaper and much more available outside of Japan? It's about the cycle of hype and familiarity not about the nearness to the point of origin.

PS: ramen shops in my local town in Canada are also cheap. But just not very good.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the first things to consider with expensive versions of traditionally inexpensive food is the location of the restaurant. I mean the primary costs of a cup of Starbucks coffee are not the beans or baristas as far as I know. It's that there's one right on the corner! For better or worse. I'm sure there are places serving the $4.50 version of ramen around NYC somewhere and around SF somewhere.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is by no means the cheapest ramen in Tokyo, but it's better than anything you'd pay $15 for in NYC at 1/3 of the price (and this is in supposedly super-expensive Tokyo, remember).

rent, ingredients, and bringing in japanese chefs. here's article here on why a bowl of ichiran in nyc is more than double the price:

https://ny.eater.com/2016/10/20/13344274/ichiran-ramen-nyc-prices

also, a lot of ramen places are more of sit-down restaurants than quick and cheap ramen joints. so roomier and fancier interior, more waitstaff and etc.

Last edited:

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are a bunch of cheaper (under $10) noodle places here but they are just in less popular neighborhoods. I've been to a couple good pho places out by the beach.

I was recently eyeing the Karl Lagerfield Vans. Maybe they will be collectors items now. I wonder if there is a slip on in that famous Chanel tweed.

iu-8.jpeg

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a rec for a black side zip with a substantial sole?

These would be ideal
tumblr_inline_pgh44ktWey1qfex1b_500.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are Singapore Noodles (the awesome curried ones with egg, pork and shrimp) a real thing? I get them at fusion places a lot but am not sure how authentic they are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads